App: Nevoc - FF14 (0/0)

User name: Nevoc

Are you over 18?
Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
FF14

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with? Nevoc T'Churi

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community?
No

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
Dumbest thing I did as an adult was when I was traveling to Peru. My flight home was scheduled for 12:30 AM on a Friday. So I show up at 8:00 PM on Friday thinking I would be there nice and early for an international flight. When I get to the gate, they tell me my flight left the previous morning.

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
Coolest job I ever had was as a horse wrangler at a YMCA Camp for a summer. I took care of horses and led kids on rides, got to spend evening's camping with other awesome people in the middle of the forest drinking around bonfires. Worse job I had was at an engineering Firm. They had me flying across the country every week and I had 36 hours from wheels down to wheels up at home on the weekends. Then when I landed, I had to drive another 4 hours to the middle of no where.

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
Skyrim because I loved the magic system, loved the open world, and loved the story. Super Mario Brothers. It is a classic video game that has stood the test of time, same with Super Mario Kart.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
Most annoying person was a friend that did not know how to handle their liquor. They always drank too much and then latched on to you talking and crying. Then would expect me to take care of them.

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
I use to be a Happy Hardcore DJ pretty early in the Rave scene. Wasn't really played on my side of the country so it was always good to surprise people when I came on. A friend even saved one of my old bad mixes. https://soundcloud.com/jody-longman/hardcore-erection-dj-toto

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
Just from reading the details, it seemed like this community had people closer to my age and into having fun on different games.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
Anybody playing any D&D campaigns?

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
A large egg. When it drops in my hand, it starts to shake. Slowly a creature starts to emerge. Turns out it is a baby dragon. He instantly crawls up my arm and rest across my shoulders. Gives me a quick lick and then starts looking around. I feel like it is hungry.

Zandar1

Guild Master Meister, Messer Mover Monsieur
Community Officer
Hiya Nevoc! Welcome to the U!

Zandar here, your friendly FFXIV and guild wrangler type guy. We've had quite a few FFXIV apps, and we're glad to have you drop by.

Let us know when you're in game and we'll have you check out the FC in Siren.

Anybody playing any D&D campaigns?
Yep. We have quite a few tabletop players in our ranks.

A large egg. When it drops in my hand, it starts to shake. Slowly a creature starts to emerge. Turns out it is a baby dragon. He instantly crawls up my arm and rest across my shoulders. Gives me a quick lick and then starts looking around. I feel like it is hungry.
What's the lil' draggy's name? Needs a good name.

Question: What FFXIV job do you consider your main?

Hi Nevoc, pleasure to e-meet you.

Ahh the rave scene... I miss and do not miss the rave scene. Good memories though!

I think Super Mario Kart may be the one universal game everyone can enjoy. Such a great game!

Yikes, I can't imagine flying every week for work. I don't think I could handle that. Props to you!

I'm also curious as to what class(s) you play in FFXIV. What kind of content do you enjoy? How long have you been playing FFXIV?

Looking forward to seeing you in game!

Fhaol

Promoter
Greetings and welcome to the process!!! You like skyrim have you ever considered coming to play Elderscrolls online with us? I hope your current job doesnt involve as much travel. Good luck!!

Hello all and thanks for the greetings.

It is hard to say what job I currently consider my main. I started as a Summoner and felt like that would be my main. I usually like to heal but wanted to do some DPS. After talking to a friend of mine about FF14, he told me how I could level summoner and scholar at the same time so it gives me the opportunity for both. I got the summoner up to level 54 and had to try something new because I am quest locked and not getting any new skills. I have switched to Red Mage and have been enjoying that job. It is currently at 54 as well so I am thinking I will just swap back and forth between the two doing main quest until I get to max level.

I have just started playing FF14 about a month ago. I came over from playing Wow for the previous year or two. In wow, I mainly enjoyed running dungeons. Raiding was pretty fun as well. I still haven't unlocked raids in FF14 so I am looking forward to seeing that.

I will be in and out of the game this evening starting around 4:30 EST.

What's the lil' draggy's name? Needs a good name.
He does need a good name and I am always horrible with them so I end up copying names of characters from books or other stories that I like. Could call him Benedict which could lead to all kinds of good adventures if he was modeled after that character in The Cinder Spires.

Ahh the rave scene... I miss and do not miss the rave scene. Good memories though!
Agreed. It puts a smile on my face thinking about it though. I still LOVE the music and make appearances in clubs a couple of times a year to see a specific DJ. I have put in work to see John Digweed and Carl Cox in the past.

You like skyrim have you ever considered coming to play Elderscrolls online with us? I hope your current job doesnt involve as much travel.
I tried ESO a few years ago on PS4. I have not given it a shot again after switching back to PC so may have to try it again after putting some time into FF14.

I do not travel nearly as much for work now. I ended up going back to the same company I was at before I took that job.

I have switched to Red Mage and have been enjoying that job. It is currently at 54 as well so I am thinking I will just swap back and forth between the two doing main quest until I get to max level.
Red mage ftwwwwwwwww! :)

I have just started playing FF14 about a month ago. I came over from playing Wow for the previous year or two. In wow, I mainly enjoyed running dungeons. Raiding was pretty fun as well. I still haven't unlocked raids in FF14 so I am looking forward to seeing that.
First off welcome.

Second, you should have access to the level 50 raids although they wouldn't be very challenging they should be locked behind a blue quest icon. I suggest doing crystal tower raid series it actually pretty good story wise. If you like I will gladly supply link with details on location of the crystal tower raid or other level 50 raids.

Lastly I saw "Anybody playing any D&D campaigns?" And I have one question DND game when? I love DND I just not very good (don't think through my options and tend to get into trouble) just haven't played it in forever like 4 years.

Fhaol

Promoter
I can say after playing beta it has Improved immensely.

I tried ESO a few years ago on PS4. I have not given it a shot again after switching back to PC so may have to try it again after putting some time into FF14.

I do not travel nearly as much for work now. I ended up going back to the same company I was at before I took that job.
[/QUOTE]

Krishach

ED Leader
Guild Leader
Travel for work can be the worst. Never done it, and kinda hoping I never will.

First off welcome.

Second, you should have access to the level 50 raids although they wouldn't be very challenging they should be locked behind a blue quest icon. I suggest doing crystal tower raid series it actually pretty good story wise. If you like I will gladly supply link with details on location of the crystal tower raid or other level 50 raids.

Lastly I saw "Anybody playing any D&D campaigns?" And I have one question DND game when? I love DND I just not very good (don't think through my options and tend to get into trouble) just haven't played it in forever like 4 years.
Thanks for the Welcome.

I don't know if it has always been like this, but it turns out the Crystal Tower is now required to advance the main quest line. I had to do all three before I was able to finish Before The Fall - Part 2. Which I am not complaining about because it made it pretty easy to queue for it and it really was a good story.

I am definitely up for D&D but I can't/don't DM. It is way too stressful for me for some reason. I don't know if you have noticed but it is always hard to find a DM. I have just been getting my fix through Critical Role but I do want to get back in a game.

Travel for work can be the worst. Never done it, and kinda hoping I never will.
I have found that it is not soo bad if I don't have to constantly do it. 25% travel to me is ideal to me.

Zandar1

Community Officer
I am definitely up for D&D but I can't/don't DM.
It's a tough job, but it helps to know your players and I'm always a big fan of asking them individually what story they want to tell in the game, and see what I can do to make them work together.

It's a tough job, but it helps to know your players and I'm always a big fan of asking them individually what story they want to tell in the game, and see what I can do to make them work together.
Also takes being quick on your toes. Since you can't perfectly map out everything ahead of time, you have to be at least decent at improv. I think that is where I really struggle.

Zandar1

Community Officer
Ahh, yeah, that takes experience and practice, I agree.

What do you like most about Red Mage so far?

Ahh, yeah, that takes experience and practice, I agree.

What do you like most about Red Mage so far?
I in general like casters over melee so I like how it is a mix of both on this one. Also like how it doesn't really feel like it has the big downtime span like I have in my summoner. Do you play Red Mage?

Welcome, and glad to have you here.

Gotta ask about your dumb/embarrassing/funny story a little bit though. I'm sure it is a pretty major inconvenience to miss an international flight, but your short summary doesn't really get into much detail. What happened after you missed it? Did hilarity ensue due to to any missed commitments or upset people back home? Did you end up staying another night where something crazy happened?

I haven't chimed in on any applications for quite a while (so apologies if I'm a bit rusty asking follow-ups here), but I'd like to hear a bit more about how this was embarrassing, funny, and/or dumb. In my book, misjudging am/pm is a pretty tame oversight. Maybe describe how the conversation went down with your boss and/or significant other (as applicable).

We use this application process to get to know members, and sharing something truly embarrassing is a good way to get that ball rolling.

Welcome, and glad to have you here.

Gotta ask about your dumb/embarrassing/funny story a little bit though. I'm sure it is a pretty major inconvenience to miss an international flight, but your short summary doesn't really get into much detail. What happened after you missed it? Did hilarity ensue due to to any missed commitments or upset people back home? Did you end up staying another night where something crazy happened?
Howdy.

It was definitely inconvenient and definitely made me feel dumb. The first person I talked to when it happened saw that I purchased the ticket with sky miles and told me I could not get on another flight for a week and a half. After trying to work around the language barrier she eventually just told me to go away. The second person I talked to said Sure we can get you on the next flight but it will be $8K. After going through multiple people and completely struggling since I didn't speak the language, I eventually got on the phone with someone back in the states basically in tears and they took pity on me and got me on the next flight. All of this because I was young and never even considered that 12:30 AM was actually a new day.

Fhaol

Promoter
I gotta ask..which government? You know the money is in making everything useful in war :( Good app so far..you might want to choose an avatar though please..it lets us know more about who you are :)

I do have a question for you all. I was reading this article in the NY Times this morning and it got me thinking. Do you think the government should try to get ahead of our eventual robot overlords and start to put regulations on AI now?

I do have a question for you all. I was reading this article in the NY Times this morning and it got me thinking. Do you think the government should try to get ahead of our eventual robot overlords and start to put regulations on AI now?
I'm not convinced any meaningful regulation would be honored by all companies, and further, any limitation on AI would be hard to maintain even by companies who actually tried to follow it due to self-learning and iterative development by AI. Plus, anything not required across the globe would just push teams into new (more permissive) areas - Amazon would just move the Alexa team to Canada, or Morroco, or maybe even space if they had to just to keep pushing the boundaries of this tech.

That said, we can do a few practical things, like not giving the AI control over nukes, so we'll at least hopefully not have a Judgement Day.

Krishach

ED Leader
Guild Leader
Surprisingly while some regulation is required, the researchers reaching for this are highly aware of this pitfall and have been working with it beyond just "have a failsafe."

That said, I'm one of the hard-liners on the definition of AI, and I currently work with Machine Learning. I still argue that "AI" does not exist, and the "AI" referred to in, say, The Matrix, is a paradigm shift that doesn't exist and isn't even close to existing. But it probably will some day.

Top Bottom