App: malkavius - FFXIV, Warframe (if DE ever gets cross-save running), PSO2, possibly Neverwinter (4/0)

User name: malkavius

Are you over 18?
Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
FFXIV, Warframe (if DE ever gets cross-save running), PSO2, possibly Neverwinter

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with? Kristof Raske (FFXIV)

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community?
No

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
Drunken "Pass the DM" Dungeons and Dragons. As a long-time (started in AD&D days) player and DM, I've accumulated a lot of gamer friends and a few years back we did a session where you would roll 2d6 and get that many minutes as DM before it passed to the next person. Needless to say, we were all fairly drunk. The resulting story included an ostrich farm (along with NPCs who made tons of ostrich puns), yetis, a Jack and the Beanstalk-esque "Booze Vine", and a race of giant "Wind in the Willows" Mr. Toad creatures. Good times were had by all.

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
While it wasn't technically a "job" in that I didn't receive monetary compensation for it, I did spend a few years as a "Games Representative" for a FLGS that a friend owned. I got to pick out and demo board games, card games, and roleplaying games for the shop to help break the shop's clientele into something more than just Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh. Teaching people to play games is something I have always enjoyed as gaming has been my lifelong biggest hobby outside of reading. If I could get a job doing that AND being paid for it, I'd be set for life.

Worst job would definitely be retail sales for big box companies. Anything where I'm expected to push as much of a sale onto a customer as possible despite the customer's wants/needs being a factor to the corporate machine is Hell to me.

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Um... because it's Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Do I really need to say more? The music is legendary, the gameplay holds up well to present day (Bloodstained makes the case for that), and it holds a level of "high school nostalgia" for me.

Final Fantasy VI (or III). I'm one of the members of "Camp FFVI is the Best Final Fantasy". I started gaming on the Atari 2600 and have played all the console-based Final Fantasy games up through XV (sadly). I am of the belief that VI marked the high-water point for the non-MMO portion of the franchise franchise. VI had the most iconic characters for me (Edgar being my favorite FF chararcter), the most compelling character backstories, the most interesting world (as it was the first to heavily include steampunk/tech), and the best overarching villain.

Mass Effect 2. Simply because it is the best sci-fi RPG-esque game I've ever stumbled across. The story is excellent, the characters are memorable (Mordin's theater speech and singing are absolute gold), and the combat design is very well executed. I've played through it at least once a year since it released and don't see that stopping anytime soon. Mass Effect 3 on the other hand... well...

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
That would be one of my former friends from high school. He started hanging out with our gaming group because he was interested in the fact that we played Magic. He took the game from being something fun that we played for the enjoyment of it and basically ruined everyone's interest because he was only interested in playing at a super competitive level. Every deck he played was netdecked, he would harass people to trade him valuable cards to use in his tournament decks, and people would refuse to play against him he would start acting like a dick. Eventually we all switched to playing D&D which he didn't like because there was no competition in it. Since it was something he didn't want to play and we wouldn't play Magic with him anymore he got pissed and got D&D banned from the school because it "contained morally questionable content that was not suitable for school".

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
I collect books, mostly fantasy (major fan of Dresden Files) and sci-fi, but I have a few particularly interesting classical literary works. I have (almost all) of a collection of classic works that was produced in the mid-to-late 1800s that I am hoping to complete. Unfortunately, since I just moved, almost all of my books are in storage until I have time to unpack them. That said, once I get them all unpacked I'd be happy to provide a picture.

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
The idea of having a full community of gamers across multiple games that I play is appealing. Going to a new game where you don't know anyone can really suck and put you off on the game entirely (sorta like what happened to me in PSO2). The other major reason is that I got into online gaming through FFXI back during the original NA launch of the game. The community in that game was amazing. There are people that I met on XI back in 2004 that I still talk to even now. There are people that I met back then that I still remember to this day and genuinely miss. I want to find that sort of gaming community again instead of just a bunch of people with no real personality who barely talk in guild chat. I'm hopeful that is what Unrepentant will prove to be.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
1. Is there any form of tabletop gaming integration in the community via Discord, etc?
2. Does the community do any gaming on console?
3. Why did Sony have to bungle the PS5 release/prerelease announcement so badly?
3. Clem?
4. Why did I put in two number 3s?

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
Tokens for free booze at the nearby inn. Because everyone knows that the only good adventures are ones that start with "So the other night while I was drunk..."

Silentgurl

Promoter
HI Malk! Welcome to the app process Dude, to let you know how things normally go with the app, you need 4 Yes votes, from the Uey Officers, and they are Blue and then 3 votes are usually a no go, However if you stay active here and in game, you should be fine! and I see you are applying with Final Fantasy and a few others, so you should be getting a guild invite very soon. Are there any other mmos you have enjoyed playing? and I also saw Mass effect in your top 3, any other shooters there? If you need any help at all or anything, please let one of us know, and we will be happy to help, and best of luck with your App :)

Last edited:

Zandar1

Guild Master Meister, Messer Mover Monsieur
Community Officer
Howdy Malk!

Malk.jpg

I'm Zandar, the current FC leader over on Siren. If you're over there, give us a ring so we can get with you and say hi!

We're also on PSO2 Ship 2, our Clan is PompadourWaifus.

Malkavius said:
1. Is there any form of tabletop gaming integration in the community via Discord, etc?
2. Does the community do any gaming on console?
3. Why did Sony have to bungle the PS5 release/prerelease announcement so badly?
3. Clem?
4. Why did I put in two number 3s?
To answer your questions:

1. Yes! We have several folks who play Roll20, Tabletop Simulator, Cards Against Humanity etc with Discord/Mumble (although we're smack in the middle or reorganizing Discord and Forum stuff this month, please pardon the construction dust bunnies.)

You can drop by our Discord here.

2. Yep. We have multiple people who game on consoles, including PS4, XBox One, and Switch.

3. Have you met Sony's logistics people?

3. Yeah, Puppet Pal Mitch?

4. Wex can't count either, it's cool.

Also Dresden Files! You're going to get along nicely round these here parts.

My question: What FFXIV and PSO2 jobs do you main?

@Silentgurl - Thanks for the heads-up on the application process, I appreciate it. As for other MMOs/Online games; how much time do you have and is there a character limit on forum replies? Let's see... I've played EVE Online, Albion Online, FFXI, FFXIV, DDO, PSO2, Warframe, Fornite: Save the World (I HATE that Battle Royale pretty much killed StW), DCUO, Neverwinter (PS4 and PC both), Guild Wars 2, Wakfu, Monster Hunter, and the list goes on. As for shooters, they're not really my genre to be honest. There are a few odd ones here and there that I like such as Mass Effect, Warframe, a bit of Destiny and Destiny 2, but the list is pretty small. I tend to stick to RPGs, action/adventure, and oddball games like Stardew Valley or Katamari.

@Zandar1 - I'll actually be hopping back on XIV once I wrap up with this reply and try to catch ya on there. If not, I'm sure we'll be able to find one another online over the next day or so. As for PSO2, I'll take a look at the price to server transfer and decide whether I wanna just reroll or migrate to Ship 2 as I'm presently on Ship 4. The fact that you guys do online tabletop gaming is awesome and I look forward to seeing that in action. My move has resulted in me being smack in the middle of nowhere interesting as far as gaming goes (unless you're into Magic, which I am not anymore). Also, the Puppet Pal Mitch reply to my Clem wasn't quite where I was going with that (Warframe), but the Dexter's Lab throwback reference you pulled out was unexpected greatness. Kudos for that. Also very excited at the prospect of having people that will understand Dresdenverse nerdspeak. To conclude: FFXIV main is likely to be BRD (I just picked the game back up after not playing since HW, though, so I'm currently leveling it) and in PSO2 I'm playing Ranger/Hunter but have been debating a switch to Force/Techer.

Zandar1

Community Officer
Got Malk in the Linkshell in FFXIV and everything.

For Warframe you'll want to interface with @Havokist, all things PSO2 and Dresden Files you'll want to have a sitdown with @Sage, and for Destiny 2, @Madonis is the man with the clan plan.

Well, Warframe is on the back burner at the moment. I have a ton of progress made in the game on PS4 but am severely annoyed with Sony over PSN account issues. Until cross-save becomes a thing and I can access my PS4 account via PC, I won't be playing it. As for PSO2, Dresden Files, and Destiny 2, I'll keep an eye out for them.

Zandar1

Community Officer
Malk's been active already and is a pretty solid person so far here in FFXIV Free Company.

Malkavius said:
Also, the Puppet Pal Mitch reply to my Clem wasn't quite where I was going with that (Warframe), but the Dexter's Lab throwback reference you pulled out was unexpected greatness. Kudos for that. Also very excited at the prospect of having people that will understand Dresdenverse nerdspeak.
We are nothing if not giant, huge nerds full of pop culture references.

Silentgurl

Promoter
@Silentgurl - Thanks for the heads-up on the application process, I appreciate it. As for other MMOs/Online games; how much time do you have and is there a character limit on forum replies? Let's see... I've played EVE Online, Albion Online, FFXI, FFXIV, DDO, PSO2, Warframe, Fornite: Save the World (I HATE that Battle Royale pretty much killed StW), DCUO, Neverwinter (PS4 and PC both), Guild Wars 2, Wakfu, Monster Hunter, and the list goes on. As for shooters, they're not really my genre to be honest. There are a few odd ones here and there that I like such as Mass Effect, Warframe, a bit of Destiny and Destiny 2, but the list is pretty small. I tend to stick to RPGs, action/adventure, and oddball games like Stardew Valley or Katamari.

@Zandar1 - I'll actually be hopping back on XIV once I wrap up with this reply and try to catch ya on there. If not, I'm sure we'll be able to find one another online over the next day or so. As for PSO2, I'll take a look at the price to server transfer and decide whether I wanna just reroll or migrate to Ship 2 as I'm presently on Ship 4. The fact that you guys do online tabletop gaming is awesome and I look forward to seeing that in action. My move has resulted in me being smack in the middle of nowhere interesting as far as gaming goes (unless you're into Magic, which I am not anymore). Also, the Puppet Pal Mitch reply to my Clem wasn't quite where I was going with that (Warframe), but the Dexter's Lab throwback reference you pulled out was unexpected greatness. Kudos for that. Also very excited at the prospect of having people that will understand Dresdenverse nerdspeak. To conclude: FFXIV main is likely to be BRD (I just picked the game back up after not playing since HW, though, so I'm currently leveling it) and in PSO2 I'm playing Ranger/Hunter but have been debating a switch to Force/Techer.
At least you tried alot of them lol that is enough for me hahaha, it's interesting to see how much someone's gaming tastes may change over the years, but Dude Cyberpunk looks really good! :)

The only other big release I had been waiting for was Ghost of Tsushima which, I am pleased to say, exceeded my expectations by a significant margin. Still working my way through it when I need a break from other other games.

Though I'm interested in Bloodlines 2 (my forum name may have given that away), with it having been so long since the original's release and the somewhat lacking release of V:TM 5th Edition I'm tempering my excitement.

Biomutant has also been on my radar for a while. However, with as long as it's been in Development Hell (and the fact it's a THQ Nordic game) who knows if and when it will actually release.

Aside from that, maybe Grounded. The crux of that matter being that I've been burned one too many times by "Early Access" so I refuse to invest in anything with that flag.

Havokist

ED Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Hey there, and cheers for applying :D

First things first...
Clem Grakata!

Sadly DE have a pretty hard stance on not allowing account transfers. They open them up to transfer when they launch on a new platform, but that's always been a one-way account copy to the new platform.
If you get the urge to join us on PC we're fairly active and should be able to help you get through the star chart and hook you up with the core mods every newbie has to farm at some point.

Drunken "Pass the DM" Dungeons and Dragons. ... a session where you would roll 2d6 and get that many minutes as DM before it passed to the next person.
That sounds like a giggle. I might have to steal that idea at some point.

I did spend a few years as a "Games Representative" for a FLGS that a friend owned.
Any games that you ended up picking up after playing? Or any that were utterly horrific?

I collect books ... I have a few particularly interesting classical literary works.
Are there any you would consider the crowning jewel of your collection?
The only late 1800s works I've read were Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories towards the end of secondary school and they kinda dragged. In all fairness, it may be I had been spoiled by more modern works.

@Havokist - I'm not so much holding out for an account transfer per se, but the cross-save functionality DE has been talking about since last year. According to talk in the dev stream it is, and I'm merely paraphrasing here, "something that is on the radar but not a lot of code has been created for it". My reservation to start over stems from the fact that my PS4 account is over 1000 hours played and, while I love the game, I tried starting over on PC and can't bring myself to do everything over again.

With regards to Drunken Pass the DM, I highly recommend it if you have a group of friends that are good at improvisation. You really do have to have the right group to get the most out of it, though. The group I was fortunate enough to have at the time that session happened contained three drama nerds, a LARPer, and a guy that runs his own camp at a renfest so it was particularly exceptional.

As for the games I got to test; Scythe, Dead of Winter, Mansions of Madness, and Small World for board games and Android: Netrunner, Legend of the Five Rings, and Lost in R'yleh for card games were particular standouts among those that I tested and ended up buying fairly quickly. The single game I quickly noped out on was, sadly, the Archer board game. For a TV series that was incredibly good, the tie-in board game was a travesty.

And lastly, the crowning jewel of my collection will be if I ever manage to find the last three books to finish the aforementioned collection of works that I have been assembling for a few years. It is a 35 piece collection including several of the works of Alexandre Dumas and various other writers of the 1800s. Aside from that, I have signed first editions of Neil Gaiman's "Anansi Boys" and "American Gods" which hold a special place for me as he is one of my favorite authors.

Last edited:

Zandar1

Community Officer
Aside from that, I have signed first editions of Neil Gaiman's "Anansi Boys" and "American Gods" which hold a special place for me as he is one of my favorite authors.
Nice! I do love me some Gaiman. The STARZ series both did and did not do the books justice.

Krishach

Promoter
Somehow I need to get drunken Magicka going again. in co-op campaign: die due to player, take a drink. We've never made it through more than 3 chapters (1 if Koraq is playing).

Also applause for ME2.

Do you play any pen n paper RPGs other than D&D? Dresden did quite well with the FATE system I thought. We had a 3 year Shadowrun campaign, and are between RPGs at the moment I believe.

arkle

Promoter
Nice app so far, keep going

My key role at times like these is to mention the avatar - I can't believe all the other peeps you have got in this app thread and no one has mentioned it! I may have to bring this up elsewhere...

I used to be a big time reader, before they invented games consoles and PCs which now suck up all my time. I try to keep a hand in but honestly now its about one book every couple of weeks. It doesnt help that I like massive multi strand series, honestly if the author thinks 500 pages is enough to develop a full world with multiple characters and a story arc, they just aren't trying.

So recommend me a fantasy/sci fiction book the existence of which I probably am not aware.

Silentgurl

Promoter
The only other big release I had been waiting for was Ghost of Tsushima which, I am pleased to say, exceeded my expectations by a significant margin. Still working my way through it when I need a break from other other games.

Though I'm interested in Bloodlines 2 (my forum name may have given that away), with it having been so long since the original's release and the somewhat lacking release of V:TM 5th Edition I'm tempering my excitement.

Biomutant has also been on my radar for a while. However, with as long as it's been in Development Hell (and the fact it's a THQ Nordic game) who knows if and when it will actually release.

Aside from that, maybe Grounded. The crux of that matter being that I've been burned one too many times by "Early Access" so I refuse to invest in anything with that flag.
really good titles I see, you have listed so far :) Hows your week going btw?

Fhaol

Promoter
Sorry, just saw this " 3. Clem? " So you play Warframe?? Its a very cool game but im too uncorrdnated for it...party on and good luck...App looks good to me so far!

Sorry for the delayed reply as well as the lack of Discord activity over the past few days. As I mentioned in the initial application, I recently moved and the new house is in a very rural area. During some yard I happened to stumble across a yellow jacket nest and discovered that I am allergic to their venom. With any luck, I'll be back on in a day or so.

In the meantime:

@Zandar1 - I enjoyed the American Gods series, although I felt it could have been cast better. The movie adaptation of Stardust was reasonably good for what it was, but felt rushed. The Coraline movie was decent. I'm still waiting for a film/TV series based on The Sandman (although I guarantee nothing they make in that regard will ever do the comics justice).

@Krishach - While I have Magicka via Steam, I've never really played it much. It's a title I bought on sale at some point and have never made time to play. That tends to happen a lot, sadly. As for tabletop RPGs, I've played D&D, Pathfinder, several of the World of Darkness games, GURPS, Heavy Gear, Cyberpunk 2020, and Legend of the Five Rings. Out of the lot, I would highly recommend Pathfinder (although 2nd edition has implemented a lot of stat bloat), 1998-2004 World of Darkness (their material went off the rails following Exalted's release), and Legend of the Five Rings (if you're into feudal Japan).

@arkle - Let's see... I dunno how popular he has become at this point, but when I first got into Ted Dekker's work he was still relatively unknown. You might try some of his fantasy works in The Books of History Chronicles. However, I would be remiss not to warn you up front that he tends to blend a lot of religious themes into his work so if you have reservations about that sort of thing, proceed with caution.

@Silentgurl - What can I say? I'm a gamer of very discerning tastes. As for my week, aside from the hospital stay it's been decent.

@Fhaol - At this point, it's more of "I did play Warframe". I played for a few years on PS4, but due to issues with my PSN account and Sony's immense level of what can only be described as "asshattery", I've been severely put off on Playstation and have done my best to avoid consoles altogether except in situations where I have no other recourse. I still get on Warframe every once in a while, but it's very seldom and only if a new frame catches my eye (such as Inaros Prime).

Krishach

Promoter
Let me know if you want to try Magicka. You make spells on the fly by combining elements. Its a twin-stick shooter where every player is a wizard, with very tongue in cheek humor. But friendly/self fire is a thing, and mistakes in buttons can present a real hazard to you and your team. Which is part of its charm, actually.

I've done D&D, Vampires/Werewolves, And LotFR of those. You might like the Dresden RPG.

If there is anything I love the most about PnP RPG, its the weird stories that come out. Would you share a story from your RPGs days, about your character or somoene elses?

Top Bottom