App: Lylyanna - Neverwinter, WoW, Among Us, Borderlands.. etc. I play a bit of everything. :) (4/0)

User name: Lylyanna

Are you over 18?
Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
Neverwinter, WoW, Among Us, Borderlands.. etc. I play a bit of everything. :)

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with? Neverwinter - Lylyanna, WoW - Lylyanna, all others are usually under lolaskittles89

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community?
No

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
It all started on sunny day at Krogers, it's the day the sky turned brown. Well not really.. keep with me, itll come back around. Me and 3 of my kids were grocery shopping, my daughter was 2 months at the time so I was wearing a baby carrier. Our Kroger now only has self checkout so we were standing in line. My stomach started hurting super bad and got so flipping tight.. well we all know what I needed to do. I swore I had enough time to wait and rush home, I only live 15 minutes away. I get halfway through scanning and bagging and out comes what I thought was a fart... turns out that fart had a little extra gift for me. Now I'm standing with a crowd around me bagging their items, and I know everyone can smell it so I do what any responsible mom would do.. "Sissy, its okay. Mommy's almost done and we can get home and change that smelly diaper!" Yeah, I blamed my daughter. Why not? Isn't that why we have kids anyway? Lmao!

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
Worst was working at a nursing home. I loved the people I worked with and the residents... just didn't enjoy poop balls being thrown at my head. Coolest Job is what I do now. I'm a Full Stack Web Developer and a Mama.

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
WoW, when my ex husband and I split up it kept me from a very dark depression. Duke Nukem, is what the bond that always held my father and I together growing up. Resident Evil, because as silly as it seems to many.. I dont know, it's just always be a series of games that made me happy. I've replayed them all so many times.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
A girl I worked with at the factory. Now anyone who knows me, knows I'm a sweet southern girl who likes everyone until I'm given a reason not too and even then I'll still try and understand. When we were in line you just had to work on your part of the fuel pump with no talking, this girl would try to talk to me the entire time. Never failed on lunch she would walk up and ask why I was mad at her repeatedly or why I didn't like her. It bugs the crap out of me when people assume stuff. I'm an upfront and honest person, she would have known if that was the case.

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
I am a Fu Stack Web Developer who is currently back in school learning front end coding. :)

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
I went through so many guild websites, but they are all just about one game or they seemed like people who I couldn't be around to long. Like yall say... I want to play with people who I could talk to outside of gaming and make some new friends along the way.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
Sure. What's y'alls drink preference?

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
An invisibility spell written on a sheet of paper so I can stealth my ass out. Thanks pops.

arbitrarity

Under the Influence
  • I feel like that code would benefit from a `getOrdinalSuffix` helper, to get rid of that if-else statement, assuming the formatting on the n'th inning content is that important.
  • You're calling `finalScore` twice when you probably only need to do it once, so I hope it doesn't have side-effects.
  • I'm not sure why you're passing all of those functions through as callbacks, since they seem to be available in the namespace you're defining scoreboard in, unless the factory pattern is really important for some reason (i.e. multiple finalScore or inning callbacks might be passed, which would make some sense, particularly for unit testing, or if it's part of the assignment definition)
  • It seems strange that your function both returns a string and has the side effect of printing out the inning results. Odd hybrid of functional and imperative programming, if you just need it to console.log things, you might as well just have it console.log the "tonight's final score" part, unless the printing is for debugging, and the return result is unit tested elsewhere
That said, I recall that I often ask "who wrote this?" about code I wrote a few months ago. Being a programmer is suffering.

Oh right, I'm not at work. Sorry, it's a reflex. Welcome to the application process! I think I found you in-game, be sure to join our in-game chat channel with the command "/channel_join uey" and ask for an invite, if you don't have one.

Those are two fairly distinct jobs. Did you decide to become a programmer later in life, or was that an early job at a nursing home? I remember high-school students used to volunteer at the retirement home back in my home town.

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback! :) That was a code we had to do way back when I first started. We have to run a parent and 2 children at first and then use an if-else statement all whole running a final score for home and then for away. It was a bummer. My dad was a programmer so I've always had a fascination with it. As for nursing that was senior year and 2 years after graduation. I was in a toxic marriage with a baby. That's when I discovered WoW. It literal saved my life.

arbitrarity

Under the Influence
Good for you getting out of a toxic marriage, that can be really rough. Do you find there's much prejudice about being a female programmer? (I reflexively wrote code review before noticing your gender, because "ooh code", and was reminded that reportedly, one of the things that sucks about coding while a woman on the internet is that everyone criticizes even the tiniest stylistic things for dumb reasons)

Krishach

Promoter
A bit of Javascript I wrote for one of my classes to find out the final score for the home and away team. Coding is a passion of mine and gaming is my escape from the stress.
You just wrote an if-then-else statement that would write 1st inning, 2st inning, 3st inning, then correctly 4th, 5th, etc. May want to check the console output text ^^

Welcome to the application process. And yes, coding is suffering. And to prove it...

I went through several years of computer engineering and computer science before changing my major (and then a few more because why the hell not). My wife has been my long-time sounding board, and she noted my behavior got odd, probably peaking at a time when I solved a computer program error I had been mulling over for days and felt compelled to write it down.

I was on the highway doing 65 at the time. Yes I did pull over first. My wife is still laughing at this years later.

Anyway she pointed out that I always explain things to her and then often answer my own question, and said she was my rubber duck. At first I thought I had offended her and I was in the doghouse. Then she showed me this was a thing.

I think fundamentally those who code have something special about them, and about how they think. I go back to it whenever I code. Because when you think about it, you're making an instruction for the thing that doesn't exist in the real world: something that will (usually) follow your instructions to the letter, and nothing else. To the point that many higher degrees consider levels of programming to qualify as a known foreign language.

Also I used to be a Bourbon guy. My wife is glad I cannot drink, because my bourbon shelf is winding up in all my sauces. What is your preference?

EDIT: I present one of the most classic gems of all computer science: Jon Bentley's "Programming Pearls" AKA "Bumper-sticker Computer Science." And these are still so true...

Last edited:
I enjoy criticism. I find without it you cant truly learn and grow, so I enjoyed hearing your input. Being a female programmer has it's up and downs. I'm constantly being asked "Why?" or having my codes read twice as much as any of the males in my cohort and that's okay, it just gives me more of a push to do better. :) Sadly, there are very few in my front end course.

Krishach

Promoter
Sorry to hear that, but yeah I think programming's and writing in general's ultimate Achilles Heel is the human brain's inability to read what you wrote directly. Only novelists and essayists don't have their entire work crash on them for the thing they missed.

Just a curiosity; why the bold type?

Sorry to hear that, but yeah I think programming's and writing in general's ultimate Achilles Heel is the human brain's inability to read what you wrote directly. Only novelists and essayists don't have their entire work crash on them for the thing they missed.

Just a curiosity; why the bold type?
Tbh not exactly sure. I was writing it on the way to take my kids to a trunk or treat, I must have hit something in the process lol.

np, just curious. What is thy drink of choice?
Seagram's if my kids are awake lol. I don't drink often. Usually if my husband happens to notice I'm super stressed he'll bring me a whiskey sour to the computer, my drink of choice is a Mimosa. Girly, I know. Lol.

arbitrarity

Under the Influence
I'm ~99% sure I found you in-game, glad to see you in /uey chat and in-guild now.

Yeah, that's me. :) Sorry for jumping off so quick. I'm taking night classes since 2 of my kids do Virtual learning. I'll be back on once class is over.

arbitrarity

Under the Influence
Are you in lifecycle, hooks, etc? I like hooks, but they're definitely a change.
Add your forum name as "Member Comment" to your character in the Guild Roster. Press "G" to open the guild menu, go to the "Roster" tab, you should find yourself in the online players (you may need to uncheck "show offline players) and there will be a text box to the right of your character. Then type in your forum name.
1604025826232.png

Okay! :) & yes!!! Atm our project is taking an App they gave us and hooking it.

Also, side note. I know I am just in the application phase but I want to say Thank You to everyone who has been so nice and accepting of me. It's hard most of the time to find a guild who willingly treats you kindly before ever actually getting into said guild. :)
Another side note I forgot to mention in my Application under the something cool unrelated category.. I have been an ordained minister for almost 2 years now, and just recently learned how to baptize. :)

Last edited:

tallon

SWTOR Guild Leader
Promoter
Welcome to the app process! I'm happy to see you have meet some of us and are enjoying the company so far. My drink of choice is craft beer. I lean more toward IPA's and really like a good amber.

Your embarrassing story is pretty good and it sounds like you have had a career that has been pretty interesting. I've never had a job where anybody has thrown poo balls at me before, I'm pretty sure that's a deal breaker for me.

What is one of your favorite books?

Krishach

Promoter
Are there any multiplayer games you play that aren't MMOs, such as pick-up or co-op games?

Borderlands, left 4 dead, Among Us, Human Fall Flat... but I play Among Us daily lol.

As for favorite book.. I'm an old timer deep down. I love any and everything by Charles Dickens. However, my all time favorite since I've been a kid would be "A Christmas Carol." My mom would make a point growing up to read it to me every year when December hit and once my kids are old enough I plan to do the same. :) what about you??

tallon

SWTOR Guild Leader
Promoter
I love any and everything by Charles Dickens
Wow, you are an old timer! I've never been a book guy but 2020 has me going through a lot of books. So far this year I've enjoyed Ready Player One and On a Pale Horse the most.

Top Bottom