App: filmadept - Neverwinter (for now) (0/2)

Would you have a drink with them? (the results have no bearing on whether they get in or not)

• Total voters
Membership Application
Are you over 18? (You must be 18+ to apply.)
Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
Neverwinter (for now)

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with?
Filmadept

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community? If so what is their forum name?
No

So... let's talk! What follows are a bunch of questions that give us a sense of your personality, and give us something to talk about. If your answers are boring or short, we’ll assume you’re boring (and probably short).

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
I do a lot of stage acting, and one of the show I did was "La Cage Aux Folles" (what the movie "The Birdcage" was based on). I played the Homophobic senator, and at the end of the show, I had to disguise myself as a woman to sneak out of the club. The heels were not a problem. The dress with custom seams? Not so much. During the 'dance' the zipper popped, the dress started to fall, and I found myself shimming across the stage in character heels, stockings, and a dress that only covered me from knee to navel. What can you do in those situations bust just go with it, right? I shook my shoulders, causing the sequins to rattle as I left the stage, damn near causing half the dancers to break character. Audience loved it though, so...

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
Coolest: I've was a content creator, editor and author liaison for Wizards of the Coast back when D&D v3.5 was a thing. I wrote 11 adventures for their Living Greyhawk campaign, and helped create ongoing story and plotlines. As to why it was the coolest? I mean, I wrote D&D adventures. I'm an RPG geek, so that was a beautiful 4 year fever dream before the positions were eliminated as they moved to 4e.

Worst: Technical Support for EDS / HP - Tech support is taxing enough, but we had a boss who changed his tune literally every day, then get mad at you for doing things the "new way" and then claim he "never said that." Turnover was high. It was unbearable. When he left, I got his job, but i was already so poisoned on the work that I didnt last a year. I took a job with the state 11 months later.

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
The Last of Us
Mass Effect 2
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Notice a theme? I love story-driven games. They can be cinematic, action or RPG, I dont care, and as far as Im concerned, the three above are the pinnacle of that kind of game.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
I even remember his name. Kai. I worked with him in Massachusetts while I was up there. he was one of those guys that, no matter what subject was being discussed, had to chime in with his expertise and fell back on "A buddy of mine..." being in the industry.

Eventually, we got so tired of it, we created a jar. Whenever we started talking about something, and he'd pull the "buddy' trick, we'd have to put a dollar in the jar.

First person to bring up a topic that he claimed to know nothing about got the money.

That was me. Almost a year later. The topic? Pro Wrestling. The amount? $139.

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
I'm a freelance writer and actor, and have done several stage shows (musical and straight plays) and a number of short films with the FSU Film School.

I also used to review movies for filmpulse.net and write D&D Adventures for Wizards of the Coast (although technically, I guess that's gaming related)

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
Most "regular" gaming guilds Ive contacted or had trial runs with want to tell you how to play...how to "squeeze" every point out of your build. Even in the guild i was in for YEARS, there was one player in particular who just couldnt understand that i was just playing to relax and have fun, and they couldnt wrap their head around why I didnt want to do this one quest line over and over and over again to get faction needed to buy an item that would make me an awesome raider. My answer: I didn't care about raiding that much if it was going to take over my gaming life.

From what Ive read about Unrepentant, both on the site and in the linked interviews, you guys seem to have that perfect blend of "Hey, we just want to have fun" and "If you WANT to work toward being an awesome raider, we can help."

Also, I appreciate the rules for Mumble and keeping the peace in chat. Especially now. We need less stress, not more.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
I am totally on board with the no cheating thing, but as someone who is JUST getting back into NW, I didnt even know it was possible to cheat. How can I tell if I've inadvertently taken advantage of an exploit?

I appreciate the Captain America rule ("language!") but I am curious as to what constitutes bad language beyond the given examples

Almost done!

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
A pint of Lucky Goat Cold Brew Coffee (probably flavored with oils, with a touch of cream and sugar-free simple syrup). I love my coffee, and he'd know that if I didnt get my pint Im probably not leaving the cave in the first place.

Tron-tonian

Ufficer
Ok, I'm totally jealous of the WotC stuff, and you'll find there are more than a few table-top players around here, too. Any good stories that you can share? Any particular favorite stuff from 3.5?

And I think you've nailed us to a 'T' on our approach. We definitely have our fair share of both casual players, and people who can get you deep into endgame stuff if you want to get there. But we won't make you play 'our' way, because there is a pretty wide spectrum to cover.

I think you've already popped into Uey chat, so no need to explain that. The rest of the process, though will work like this - we chat / post here (or in-game, too), and eventually, the votes start coming in from folks with yellow, green, or purple names (red 'votes' don't technically count, but carry some weight). 4 YES - you're in. 3 NO, and we go our separate ways. Simple as that!

And to answer your question - basic common sense should work fine for language. We represent a fairly wide swath of society, so use that as a bit of yardstick. As for what is and isn't an exploit - if you're ever unsure, just ask. I can't think of anything that I've heard of recently, that would even come close to meeting the criteria. If something let's you get around obvious game mechanics / content, though, chances are good it's an exploit.

Tech Support, oof.

That is one tough gig, any way that you look at it. Mad respect for working in that field. Phones, digital, in person?

Tech Support, oof.

That is one tough gig, any way that you look at it. Mad respect for working in that field. Phones, digital, in person?
Phones and digital. Occasionally, I conducted trainings. Those were the best days, because, yes, a lot of the people were clueless, but they KNEW that and didn't act like they knew more than I did.

Ok, I'm totally jealous of the WotC stuff, and you'll find there are more than a few table-top players around here, too. Any good stories that you can share? Any particular favorite stuff from 3.5?
Favorite thing they added: Pious Templar. I was annoyed for a long time how MAD Paladins were - in a point buy system, it was very hard to make them stand up against other melee classes without a lot of help from items. Pious Templar allowed people to create holy warriors without having to rely on charisma at all, which i greatly appreciated.

Favorite story: Back when we were running Living Greyhawk, we occasionally ran things called interactives. Multiple tables of differing levels all working toward a common goal. It was like a 5e epic. One of these took place at the old Keep on the Borderlands and basically what happened is a necrotic energy bomb went off and turned a whole bunch of stuff that normally wouldn't BE undead into undead creatures.

The lower level tables were scouring the farm lands and trying to clear it out for the families to return. One of the guys was a cleric of Boccob and had taken improved turning.

At one point they heard noise in a barn and opened the door ro find themselves facing down a flock of undead chickens.

The player with the cleric of Boccob confidently stood up at his table and said (loud enough for the entire room to hear him): "in the name of Bock, Bock, BOCCOB...BE GONE!" The entire room erupted. Everyone was laughing so hard, it was at least a good five minutes before any of the tables could get back to the game.

are there any casual or co-op games you play? There are a number that make the rounds here. We also occasionally have an online tabletop gaming session going; are there any you still play?

are there any casual or co-op games you play? There are a number that make the rounds here. We also occasionally have an online tabletop gaming session going; are there any you still play?

I play Destiny 2 from time to time. I got it for free, which helped, but i like that I can play it without engaging in any PvP whatsoever. Ive never been very good at any kind of PvP game, so thats refreshing.

I just bought Tabletop Simulator off Steam to play Betrayal a the House on the Hill w/ some friends, and have been known to play Lords of Waterdeep on occasion. Its been a while since I sat down and engaged in any readl board gaming. My friends and I are now scattered across the country and when we can get together and game, we prefer D&D via Fantasy Grounds as our drug of choice.

can't go wrong with a classic, though somehow I always never seem to be the cool kid running it. Running Star Wars with occasional Shadowrun, currently. If my RL plans go south by the end of year, I think I'll try and learn Shadowrun 6th ed: dare I ask the powder-keg question as to what edition of D&D you prefer?

dare I ask the powder-keg question as to what edition of D&D you prefer?
I'll answer - its a pretty easy call for me, too.

I like 5e a lot. In fact it gets rid of the biggest problem I had with 3.5 / PF - It flattens the numbers curve so that you dont need insane stats (or items) to be effective. A +1 to hit from a magic weapon is a HUGE upgrade, and the advantage/disadvantage mechanic is one of the more elegant changes Ive ever seen.

I wrote for 3.5, I played a LOT of Pathfinder, but after a while, it all became about the arms race - cherry picking levels and feats to create the most bad ass character, which is fine, but eventually you had tables of characters who could conceivably solo encounters all by themselves. I'm not guilty of it. Ive made characters like that. I had a Gnomish Shadowcraft Mage in one of my 3.5 games that could replicate a Miracle Spell with a 0 level illusion spell. All within the rules. Which is the problem- there were SO MANY rules, it was impossible to playtest them all and all their effects when cross-pollinated with other stuff in other books. It became crazy

I mean, hell, if not for the invent of e-readers, I would have had to stop travelling to cons. When you used a book in a character build or in a mod, you HAD to bring the source with you to prove you legally owned it. By the endgame of 3.5 there were over 40 sourcebooks. it became impossible to carry them all. Thank God for my tablet.

It's still bad, though. I played Pathfinder at MegaCon last year for the first time in a bit and I had a decent character, but I literally never got to act. Each player had been playing non-stop so knew all the tricks, and in each combat, all the enemies were dead before I had a chance to do anything. my 11th level undead bloodline sorcerer was basically relegated to Use Magic Device checks. It seriously wasnt any fun.

I want the game to be fun for everyone, not just those who want to show off how awesome their builds are. 5e allows that.

Even 4e, which I don't like to talk about, had that as a plus: everyone felt useful (granted, it was because everyone felt like the same character with a different skin), but nobody was left behind.

That said, 4e has my favorite character concept/class in any game version: The Avenger. Who doesn't love the idea of playing a sword-wielding batman who takes it upon himself to right some wrong by calling on a god of vengeance (it also introduced the prototype of what would become advantage/disadvantage). This might also be why my favorite 5e character is my Hexblade Warlock / Paladin of Vengeance. That character is a absolute BLAST to play.

To circle around. My favorite editions:

To play:

1 - 5e
2 - 3.5
3 - Pathfinder
4 - 2e
5 - 4e
6 - Original/AD&D

To DM:

1 - 4e
2 - 5e
3 - 3.5
4 - PF
5 - 2e
6 - Original / AD&D

Comments: I often find those that hang on to the original editions seem to do so as a badge of honor. thats just my impression. I had the red box basic set. i had the blue box "expert" set, and I had all the AD&D books. I went back to it last year to give it a look and holy hell is it clunky and unbalanced as hell. I respect it because we wouldn't have what we have today without those earlier versions, but I see them more useful as artifacts to study than for practical use.

And yeah, I put 4e high up on my "prefer to run" list. The one thing that edition did right is how easy they made it for DMs to make up encounters on the fly, like..literally, I was asked to run an adventure an in 6 minutes, I had a few fully fleshed out encounters to choose from simply because of the charts and tables in the 4e DMG. I was very impressed with that part of it, at least.

Last edited:

arkle

Ufficer
Well we are going to have to agree to disagree on your list of D&D editions...

I see you are applying for NW; have you tried DDO and prefer NW? If so, why?

Looking forward to a long chat in this app...

Well we are going to have to agree to disagree on your list of D&D editions...

I see you are applying for NW; have you tried DDO and prefer NW? If so, why?

Looking forward to a long chat in this app...
I played DDO for a VERY long time. Stopped after a while because all my friends stopped playing and the cost / value ratio had started to wane. Ive seriously considered getting back to it. Even tried reinstalling it a couple of weeks ago, but it simply wont install. Patches keep failing. Ive followed every bit of advice on every forum I can find, but nothing works. I gave up trying to reinstall after 3 or so days.

I loved DDO. I like Neverwinter. I like building characters. Neverwinter is like 4e in that character progression is far too linear for my taste, and the classes are too homogenous. But then again, 4e was just an MMO on paper.

arkle

Ufficer
I played DDO for a VERY long time. Stopped after a while because all my friends stopped playing and the cost / value ratio had started to wane. Ive seriously considered getting back to it. Even tried reinstalling it a couple of weeks ago, but it simply wont install. Patches keep failing. Ive followed every bit of advice on every forum I can find, but nothing works. I gave up trying to reinstall after 3 or so days.
Oh noes...another lost soul. That's really bad as all content is free til the end of the month.

williamsond

DDO Usurper
Ufficer
yeah shame you cant get it to work we still have quite a lot of cool folk playing on sarlona.

As for D&D 5th is definitely my favourite edition, i played and Dm'd a lot of fourth but i never loved it although the adventures were very good, i never hated it though.

I never really liked 3 or 3.5 very much (although played alot, it was too min max for my liking with people building toons rather than characters. i played a bit of 1st but cut my teeth on ADnD so that the one i have fondest memories of playing.

Hello Film! I saw you played the last of us...Are you looking forward to Part 2 that hits this month? I've been keeping with updates :)

Even tried reinstalling it a couple of weeks ago, but it simply wont install. Patches keep failing. Ive followed every bit of advice on every forum I can find, but nothing works. I gave up trying to reinstall after 3 or so days.
I was having the same problem best I can tell you is to just let it run over and over. Annoying, I know but it'll get done after a while.

arkle

Ufficer
Really hoping the absence is a RL thing (nothing serious, say just very busy with work) as I think you could be an excellent addition...

Top Bottom