App: enderfish - Currently, Valheim, but anything with an RPG element really (4/0)

User name: enderfish

Are you over 18?
Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
Currently, Valheim, but I am also very much into other games. Basically anything really, especially anything with an RPG element.

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with? enderfish

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community?
Yes

What is their forum name(s)?
Alara

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
I think there are too many of those to count! I have a particular way of talking in a high-pitched voice to my wife when I'm surprised by something, and I thought my wife was in the room and I responded in this way to her, but when I turned around, I saw it was my mother-in-law.

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
The coolest job maybe (depending on perspective) was when I worked as a screenplay writer in my twenties. The worst was when I was an IT engineer at Amazon. The screenplay job was great because I love writing and that was something I really wanted to spend my life doing, and probably would have, were it not for some bad luck and naivety. The Amazon job was terrible because I literally worked 12-16 hour days routinely for nearly three years straight, with day / night shifts mixed up all over the place and it was truly the most exhausting experience of my life.

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
1. Everquest - I still play it. 2. Skyrim (heavily modded) - I absolutely love the setting and story. Mods also provide a lot of gameplay improvements and changes that keep it fresh. 3. Minecraft - I keep coming back to it every year or so, just love the peacefulness and depth of it all.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
A younger brother of a classmate back in high school. The guy had a penchant for going out of his way to bring up very uncomfortable topics and was just overly antagonistic. He may have been one of the first troll experiences of my life!

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
I have worked on a couple screenplays that went on to become big (or decent) successes, though I cannot legally take credit for those. What I can take credit for is my science fiction novel that I am in the process of writing (actually I ran a successful Kickstarter to fund an editor), and I've been working on a major rewrite in hopes of attracting a traditional publisher. But if not, I'll probably self-publish via Amazon. You can check out my associated site at www.sullenbard.com!

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
Alara recommended you all to me and she seems to think I'd be a good fit for the group! My work schedule tends to be all over the place but I am an avid gamer and have been for as long as I can remember. Would be awesome to join a group of people who also enjoy gaming (but not necessarily only gaming!)

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
My main question is, will it be an issue if due to a somewhat crazy work schedule that my play times are a bit erratic? It would be great to know there are folks out there that I can play with, but I wouldn't want to bog down the group if regularity were a requirement. I also have a three month old daughter, so she has added to the whole erratic nature of my schedule. :D

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
A banana, because you never know when you'll need food as well as something to throw at something pursuing you.

Last edited:
I highly recommend this applicant! They have been a good alliance/guild member, guild/alliance officer, teammate, and friend during the time we've gamed together in the past. Oh, and his Discord skills are okay too. 😉 Believe it or not, he claimed to have been shy when we first met but I think he just needs the right people to belong to. 💙🍪🍪

Reports of my Discord skills are greatly exaggerated! :D Though I do believe I am pretty introverted. I guess it's been a while that I've known Alara too! The passage of time is a crazy thing...

Fhaol

Promoter
Welcome to the process! So you mentioned Skyrim, have you ever considered Elder scrolls online?? Mother in law got ya huh ??lol
Good luck and I know you said you have a screwey schedule, just do the best you can to keep up with your app :)

@enderfish Please tell us about something you learned in the last year or two that was fun and/ or interesting to you.

@Fhaol, Thanks for the warm welcome! Actually I did play ESO for a few months... some years ago, probably more than it seems, and I recall enjoying it a lot! I haven't tried it recently though. I'd be interested in checking it out, I imagine a ton has changed and been added! (Even some Skyrim-y content, if I'm not mistaken?)

@Alara, Hmmm, I've learned a bit of the Nepali/Nepalese language over the past couple years, which has been difficult but quite a lot of fun! I haven't gotten the hang of even moderately complex grammar yet, so there's a long way to go.

Oh and just as a bit more background info for everyone, I am Japanese and moved to the US around seven years ago. Hard to believe so much time has passed (a common theme in my brain, lol). And my weird schedule just means I'm as likely to be active during the day as I am later at night. :D

Havokist

ED Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Hey there. Cheers for applying :)

The coolest job maybe (depending on perspective) was when I worked as a screenplay writer in my twenties.
What genres or direction did your writing take? Did anything make it in to a big production?

will it be an issue if due to a somewhat crazy work schedule that my play times are a bit erratic?
Nah, not at all. You won't find any mandatory participation past this app. We're aware that life happens and people have commitments that don't involve gaming. We've even got a few people who don't actually game with us any more but still come round to hang out.

Minecraft
Vanilla or modded?

The first major genre I worked in was historical fiction, and to whether or not it made it to big production, just think of large budget movies set in Japan in the early 2000s and that should greatly narrow down the possibilities. :) After that, I did some.... to call it horror would be kind of inaccurate, but comedy/horror might be more appropriate, lol. And yeah, after I basically had the rights for those things sold without my knowledge, I decided to focus on IT as a profession. My love of writing has persisted though, and I am still hoping that my scifi book can be successful enough where it justifies a gradual switching back to writing.

I'm glad to hear that my typically random schedule won't be an issue! My love of gaming will always be a thing, so regardless of whatever games are currently popular, I'm sure I'll always be playing something and looking for people to play with.

I enjoy vanilla Minecraft typically, but I have played around with Thaumaturgy a bit, and Optifine and visual mods. Also tons of fun playing Vivecraft on my Vive Pro headset. Forgot to mention I'm a big VR gaming enthusiast as well, though again, lack of time is my biggest enemy to proper enjoyment there. :)

Silentgurl

Promoter
HI Enderfish! Welcome to the App Process, nice selection on the top 3 games and glad to have you here. Btw, are you into shooters at all, game wise and are you only PC based only? :)

@enderfish SilentGurl is one of the folks that I play with regularly on weekends and she is a super sweetheart. 💙🍪🍪

What game(s) or game type(s) are your least favorite and why?

Hello SilentGurl, and thank you for the warm welcome! Glad you like my selection of games. :) I do enjoy FPS games here and there, or I have in the past. The most recent one I've played was Destiny 2, but I think it's been well over a year ago at this point. I am not super good at them also, but they are fun.

So I am primarily a PC-based gamer! And I am pretty into one mobile game (the one that I play with Alara, actually), called Star Trek Fleet Command. But yeah, mainly PC gaming. :D

@Alara I think it's great that this community exists, and I really appreciate your telling me about it!

Hmm, so I am not very into sports games. I've tried to play a variety in the past, and just can't get into them. Maybe the only exception(s) would be VR versions, since they try to emulate the actual motions and such, which is pretty cool.

Also oddly enough, I wasn't very fond of Red Dead Redemption 2, though I don't have a good/solid reason for that! I tried playing it with a friend a few times but for the life of me, I just couldn't get into it. I know it's very popular and that many enjoy it, but I just couldn't.

Krishach

Promoter
I think we just had an old UEY who had a several year hiatus show up. He was surprised his account was still active.

Once you're past the app, you have to WORK to unglue from UEY. Absenteeism isn't sufficient. Though coming back with stories helps us.

Silentgurl

Promoter
Hello SilentGurl, and thank you for the warm welcome! Glad you like my selection of games. :) I do enjoy FPS games here and there, or I have in the past. The most recent one I've played was Destiny 2, but I think it's been well over a year ago at this point. I am not super good at them also, but they are fun.

So I am primarily a PC-based gamer! And I am pretty into one mobile game (the one that I play with Alara, actually), called Star Trek Fleet Command. But yeah, mainly PC gaming. :D
you are welcome, nice on the Destiny front, I have very much active in that game lol I enjoyed the content they had to offer, and the storyline grabbed me honestly. oh cool! on the mobile games, I tried getting into those and it never stuck to me...what about Valheim do you enjoy the most about? :)

Destiny was a lot of fun, I know they've released a couple (if not more) expansions or more content since I played and I've been curious to check it out but haven't had a chance to yet.

Yeah mobile games never stuck with me either until the one Alara and I play together (Star Trek Fleet Command). It's hard for me to recommend it to people since it's not super accommodating for free to play folks, sadly.

I think about Valheim, it's just the simplicity of the mechanics and how much the creators just leave up to the player in terms of what they want to do and the pacing. I love the atmosphere of the game, and I'm huge on crafting and building, so it appeals to me on many levels.

How many people here are currently playing it? Oh and just because I focused a lot on Valheim doesn't mean I'm not into other games either, I basically love pretty much everything 😆

Krishach

Promoter
That's fair. Since not all definitions are created equal, what are RPG elements?

Vermintide 2 has RPG elements: your power is a reflection of your gear and level, albeit balanced in such a way that personal style matters more than "optimizing." It has levels and earned xp.

Also happens to be a co-op, first person, melee slasher left-4-dead clone set in Warhammer Fantasy. Some might not consider that enough RPG elements to count.

That is actually a game that I've been curious to check out for a while, just haven't bought it yet. I would consider "RPG elements" to be anything that allows you to improve or grow your character, whether it be through gear, levels, skill points or other avenues. So really any genre that has that element, I really enjoy. Of course nice storylines, interesting characters or alluring worlds always help. :)

Krishach

Promoter
That is actually a game that I've been curious to check out for a while, just haven't bought it yet. I would consider "RPG elements" to be anything that allows you to improve or grow your character, whether it be through gear, levels, skill points or other avenues. So really any genre that has that element, I really enjoy. Of course nice storylines, interesting characters or alluring worlds always help. :)
Does money count? If so you could go Elite Dangerous too. ;)

Top Bottom