App: Derangedtaco - Mainly FF14, maybe future MMORPG's. (3/3)

User name: Derangedtaco

Are you over 18?
Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
Mainly FF14, maybe future MMORPG's.

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with? Taka Tacoh

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community?
No

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
That's tough. I've done a lot of dumb and embarrassing things in my life, and the funny things were most likely dumb. I've made a lot of mistakes and I've suffered the consequences tenfold. One of them, I will always have a criminal record because of. So, that would be dumbest. I was 25, in 2015, when I was going into unlocked cars looking for money. Bills, change or goods, didn't matter to me. And one unlucky (and cold) night, I got caught and spent a weekend in the "drunk tank." Thankfully, I became a little wiser and did my time on probation. And I've been crime-free since 2017. Dumbest decision of my life, I can't get certain jobs because of my past dumb mistakes. But, I learned a lot from it, especially the importance of ones property.

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
The coolest job I've ever had is probably my current job. I work for a food delivery service called EatStreet (US-wide, but most popular in my state, Wisconsin). I can choose my hours, I can take out 75% of what I make each night after my shift, it's..... frankly pretty awesome. Worst job? Probably my first job as a cashier at Target. I didn't take it as seriously as I should, but retail is already mind-numbing enough.

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
Asheron's Call 1. Turbine shut it down in 2016, but there are private servers that have popped up. It was my first MMORPG and the reason I fell in love with the genre. It holds an extremely special place in my heart. The Counter-Strike series. My 2nd game, when it was a mod of Half-Life 1. CS got me into FPS shooters and I've made some friends that I've met in person, one I even lived with for a year and was a groomsmen in his wedding a couple years ago. And..... World of Warcraft. When I first tried it in 2005, it was truly an amazing experience. It opened my eyes to what MMORPG's could be.... and I will always play it, albeit off-and-on. It holds the other half of the special place in my heart.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
GuardianX. He was a member of this gaming community I am a part of (don't worry, they're less organized, more like a friend group, I won't cheat on you guys..... that much). Very opinionated, especially about politics. We just had different opinions and he would blow up because somebody disagreed with him.... and usually in a public channel. Just not a good person.

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
I'm completely self-taught with computers and technology in general. Started building (and wrecking) my own PC's at age 7 or 8 in the late 90's. I've always just had a general love for computers. Building, fixing, learning about, etc. I guess you could call it my life passion.

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
Because regular gaming guilds don't last. I'm looking for something I can be apart of for years, not months. Something that is like a second family. I also like the foundation that has been built.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
What are the expectations of a new applicant? I'm pretty active, so it's not a problem for me, but what is your inactivity policy, if any?

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
Knowledge. He tells me stories of what is inside the cave, the correct routes to take and what I will find in the cave. Who knows, he may be a worldly traveler (like a Bard or Gleeman) running from a troubled past as a knight or something.

Zandar1

Guild Master Meister, Messer Mover Monsieur
Community Officer
Howdy D-Range Taco!

Zandar here, Community Officer and FFXIV Guild Cat Herder/Omnitank. We're on Siren server on Aether DC, so if you'd like to say hi, we'd be glad to get you into the linkshell and FC as a recruit so you can meet the gang and see if we're right for you.

What classes do you play?

What are the expectations of a new applicant? I'm pretty active, so it's not a problem for me, but what is your inactivity policy, if any?
We do ask that you remain active during your application at the very least, but once you're in, you're in. As you've noted, we're like a second family around here, and the foundation we've built has been a long process. We understood well before 2020 that gaming is secondary to real life, and we have people who fade out for months, even years before having time to return to us. Even I took a long break for a while back in the day.

But you're always welcome here once you're accepted as a member of the community, as long as you're willing to follow the few rules that we have. Take a look at our Accepted Applications (and the Rejected ones!) to see how the process works in practice.

Asheron's Call 1. Turbine shut it down in 2016, but there are private servers that have popped up. It was my first MMORPG and the reason I fell in love with the genre. It holds an extremely special place in my heart. The Counter-Strike series. My 2nd game, when it was a mod of Half-Life 1. CS got me into FPS shooters and I've made some friends that I've met in person, one I even lived with for a year and was a groomsmen in his wedding a couple years ago. And..... World of Warcraft. When I first tried it in 2005, it was truly an amazing experience. It opened my eyes to what MMORPG's could be.... and I will always play it, albeit off-and-on. It holds the other half of the special place in my heart.
We have a couple of Retail and Classic WoW guilds too. You'll want to talk to @Wexamos, @Aliver, @GalacticKegger and @Learnedhand about all things Warcraft.

Also, nice avatar. A good start!

Howdy D-Range Taco!

Zandar here, Community Officer and FFXIV Guild Cat Herder/Omnitank. We're on Siren server on Aether DC, so if you'd like to say hi, we'd be glad to get you into the linkshell and FC as a recruit so you can meet the gang and see if we're right for you.

What classes do you play?

We do ask that you remain active during your application at the very least, but once you're in, you're in. As you've noted, we're like a second family around here, and the foundation we've built has been a long process. We understood well before 2020 that gaming is secondary to real life, and we have people who fade out for months, even years before having time to return to us. Even I took a long break for a while back in the day.

But you're always welcome here once you're accepted as a member of the community, as long as you're willing to follow the few rules that we have. Take a look at our Accepted Applications (and the Rejected ones!) to see how the process works in practice.

We have a couple of Retail and Classic WoW guilds too. You'll want to talk to @Wexamos, @Aliver, @GalacticKegger and @Learnedhand about all things Warcraft.

Also, nice avatar. A good start!
FFXIV is the only major MMORPG that I haven't taken a serious crack at (played for a month in 2017), so I'm low level, but enjoying it. Currently shooting for monk, but I know I'll eventually level up the tank classes, as I've almost been a career tank in MMO's. And yep, I'm on the Siren server, my character name is Taka Tacoh (just saw you message me lol).

Yeah, sometimes I take breaks from gaming, but usually involuntary, have had a lot of ups and downs in life.

I have no doubt that I'll eventually talk up the Warcraft people. I'm..... something of a Warcraft lore nerd, so I can talk about the game with anybody.

Actually, my avatar is old as hell. I don't know when I first started using it, maybe early 2000's, but a Gundam on a bike was always kinda funny to me.

Krishach

ED Leader
Guild Leader
Do you play any MMOs that aren't RPGs? We've got Warframe going, as well as Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen.

Zandar1

Community Officer
Got 'em into the FC as a recruit. Hope to see you around this weekend!

Do you play any MMOs that aren't RPGs? We've got Warframe going, as well as Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen.
Absolutely. I've played Warframe before, got ED for free during one of Epic Games' free game weeks (haven't tried yet) and..... waiting to see if Star Citizen will ever actually release (still skeptical). Unfortunately, I have only a 256GB SSD for Windows AND games atm, so I uninstall and reinstall games all the time (would be hell without gigabit internet). Always willing to try any and all MMO's though (besides maybe Destiny, went too hard on Destiny 2 at launch and possibly burned out on it forever).

Hi Deranged,

Nice meeting you! I've seen ya around in the FFXIV free company but have yet to interact with you. I look forward to it!

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
Because regular gaming guilds don't last. I'm looking for something I can be apart of for years, not months. Something that is like a second family. I also like the foundation that has been built.
I like how you responded to this question and I 100% agree.

What are your favorite things to do in a mmo? Leveling, story, raids, pvp, end game content, min/maxing, glamor?

Everybody keeps talking about Warframe being so good. I've played it many years ago and wasn't impressed. I guess it has changed a lot. What do you like about Warframe?

I have my doubts about Star Citizen and feel like I wasted my money on it. I hope it comes out and is a great game but I really am unsure at this point. It's been what, almost 10 years in development?

I look forward to meeting you in FFXIV! Please do not hesitate to reach out and ask for help if you need someone to run you through content or give advice.

Hi Deranged,

Nice meeting you! I've seen ya around in the FFXIV free company but have yet to interact with you. I look forward to it!

I like how you responded to this question and I 100% agree.

What are your favorite things to do in a mmo? Leveling, story, raids, pvp, end game content, min/maxing, glamor?

Everybody keeps talking about Warframe being so good. I've played it many years ago and wasn't impressed. I guess it has changed a lot. What do you like about Warframe?

I have my doubts about Star Citizen and feel like I wasted my money on it. I hope it comes out and is a great game but I really am unsure at this point. It's been what, almost 10 years in development?

I look forward to meeting you in FFXIV! Please do not hesitate to reach out and ask for help if you need someone to run you through content or give advice.
End game content, raiding, crafting and economy are the things I'm interested the most. I like leveling, but some games it's more tedious than others. FF14 seems to be about in the middle, not too long, not too short. Normally, I don't like PvP in MMO's, but I play some games specifically for their PvP, like Guild Wars 2 WvW.

Warframe is... cool, but I realized early on it's a real grind. And unlike many other games, I never got into the grind (also, the last time I played it I had my old GPU that was like 10 years old lol).

Yeah, I've been pretty quiet in FC chat and discord since joining. I'm just distracted by trying to learn all the different systems in the game. Once I get up to speed, I'll be more chatty.

Zandar1

Community Officer
Yeah, I've been pretty quiet in FC chat and discord since joining. I'm just distracted by trying to learn all the different systems in the game. Once I get up to speed, I'll be more chatty.
Yeah, there are a lot of systems in the game now. I learn by doing and seeing, so once I've got it figured out, I get more comfortable with things. But we've got a good crew, not just in FF XIV, but in the U. If you have questions, ask them.

tallon

SWTOR Guild Leader
Promoter
So, that would be dumbest. I was 25, in 2015, when I was going into unlocked cars looking for money. Bills, change or goods, didn't matter to me. And one unlucky (and cold) night, I got caught and spent a weekend in the "drunk tank." Thankfully, I became a little wiser and did my time on probation. And I've been crime-free since 2017. Dumbest decision of my life, I can't get certain jobs because of my past dumb mistakes. But, I learned a lot from it, especially the importance of ones property.
Wow, did you get hit with a felony on this? While this was dumb and wrong you appear to have learned from it and I hope it doesn't keep hindering employment opportunities for you.

Wow, did you get hit with a felony on this? While this was dumb and wrong you appear to have learned from it and I hope it doesn't keep hindering employment opportunities for you.
Dodged a HUGE bullet by it being my first offense and less than a felony amount (it was $13 in change) the night I got caught. But, I did get the highest misdemeanor. So, it's definitely hurt employment opportunities, mainly retail.

tallon

SWTOR Guild Leader
Promoter
I'm guessing that it shows up on background checks. Hopefully that drops off at some point or just gets old enough where people don't care.

I loved Counter-Strike and played way back in the beta days in the late 90's. Amazing game and combined with stat generators on some servers it made for a really fun experience. I played on one server with some friends I worked with and we had our own little fun community of people we would play with consistently. Did you play it that long ago as well?

I'm guessing that it shows up on background checks. Hopefully that drops off at some point or just gets old enough where people don't care.

I loved Counter-Strike and played way back in the beta days in the late 90's. Amazing game and combined with stat generators on some servers it made for a really fun experience. I played on one server with some friends I worked with and we had our own little fun community of people we would play with consistently. Did you play it that long ago as well?
Yeah, it shows on background checks. I think I can't get the charge dismissed because (at least in the US) the oldest age you can be to get something dismissed is like 22 or 23 (not entirely sure on the validity of this). But, I've heard that employers start to care less when a misdemeanor charge is 7-10 years old. I'm pretty happy in my current job and I passed the background check with them, so I'm not too worried.

Yeah, I probably started in the CS beta days, but I didn't get seriously into it until CS 1.1 came out (2001). When they added Dust 2, Inferno and Vertigo and updated all the original maps like Dust 1, Cbble, Office, Aztec, Italy, etc. I mentioned it in application, but I was recruited into this clan called Proshockers on a surf server. One of the officers was randomly playing and he asked if I wanted to join, I'm glad I said yes. The leader was a guy that went by Najica, at the time (He primarily uses Amortech now). He's the one I've kept in constant contact with, have visited him numerous times, he's come up to visit me twice, I was in his wedding and sleeping on his couch for a year in 2018-2019. So yeah, CS might be the most important game I've ever played.

Zandar1

Community Officer
One of the officers was randomly playing and he asked if I wanted to join, I'm glad I said yes. The leader was a guy that went by Najica, at the time (He primarily uses Amortech now). He's the one I've kept in constant contact with, have visited him numerous times, he's come up to visit me twice, I was in his wedding and sleeping on his couch for a year in 2018-2019. So yeah, CS might be the most important game I've ever played.
I mean that's a true friend there. Also please do not randomly show up on my couch or at my wedding though.

Who am I kidding, me, married? (I do have a couch!)

All seriousness though, we have plenty of folks in the U who have become lifelong friends and even gotten hitched over the years. I'm glad that you've met people like that, and hopefully there are future friends you'll make here, too!

arkle

Promoter
I'm liking this application, in particular the honesty, and the old man question, that's one of the best answers I've seen, top 10% for sure.

I've dabbled a bit in FF; too mean to pay for it though and the free element is too restrictive, also i play maybe 30 hours a week on DDO so not a lot of space in my schedule anyway.

I'm going to throw out the first YES, bit sooner than I would normally but as i say, I'm liking this app

YES

I'm liking this application, in particular the honesty, and the old man question, that's one of the best answers I've seen, top 10% for sure.

I've dabbled a bit in FF; too mean to pay for it though and the free element is too restrictive, also i play maybe 30 hours a week on DDO so not a lot of space in my schedule anyway.

I'm going to throw out the first YES, bit sooner than I would normally but as i say, I'm liking this app

YES
I appreciate it!

I had the same problem with FF14, it was another sub-based game and I've had mini-heart attacks looking at what I've paid Blizzard over the years on WoW. But, it's also the only MMORPG I haven't experienced end-game or even max level with, so I thought I'd give it a try. The free trial got a little bit better when they released their base game questing overhaul in.... I think August? They raised the free trial content to include the first expansion, Heavensward, if I'm remembering correctly.

I really liked the wise old man question. Most would probably choose something more useful early on, like power, but I believe knowledge would be more important. I also put a little easter egg at the end of my answer to one of my favorite high fantasy book series.

arkle

Promoter
I also put a little easter egg at the end of my answer to one of my favorite high fantasy book series.
Oh well then i missed it and loking now I can't place it. Any more clues? Or just tell me?

What do you consider "high fantasy"?

Harplager

Promoter
Yeah, it shows on background checks. I think I can't get the charge dismissed because (at least in the US) the oldest age you can be to get something dismissed is like 22 or 23 (not entirely sure on the validity of this). But, I've heard that employers start to care less when a misdemeanor charge is 7-10 years old. I'm pretty happy in my current job and I passed the background check with them, so I'm not too worried.
In my past life (Real Estate), if you had anything on your background check you had to tell your future broker, get your future broker to write you a letter of recommendation and get 3 letters of character recommendation. Honestly, we never really cared if it happened when you were young or a long time past. We had one where a future agent had been caught with a joint (singular) but was hit with the highest charge they could give him. He was 18 when it happened, and came to us at 30 - so 12 years later. I actually helped draft that letter of recommendation for our broker, it didn't shade our opinion of him in the least.

I just got back into FF14, if you see a Harplager flailing about, confused about everything, say hi.

Oh well then i missed it and loking now I can't place it. Any more clues? Or just tell me?

What do you consider "high fantasy"?
The easter egg is in the "Who knows, he may be a worldly traveler (like a Bard or Gleeman) running from a troubled past as a knight or something." part. A Gleeman is an entertainer-type profession in the Wheel of Time series. And the part of the wise old man in question being a worldly traveler running from a troubled past is a reference to Thom Merrilin, a major character from the WoT series, who is running from a troubled past (although, he wasn't a knight lol). It's kind of a small easter egg because the Wheel of Time series still is relatively unknown to non-fantasy fans, but should increase in popularity when Amazon airs the TV show adaptation they have been working on for the past year or 2.

In my past life (Real Estate), if you had anything on your background check you had to tell your future broker, get your future broker to write you a letter of recommendation and get 3 letters of character recommendation. Honestly, we never really cared if it happened when you were young or a long time past. We had one where a future agent had been caught with a joint (singular) but was hit with the highest charge they could give him. He was 18 when it happened, and came to us at 30 - so 12 years later. I actually helped draft that letter of recommendation for our broker, it didn't shade our opinion of him in the least.

I just got back into FF14, if you see a Harplager flailing about, confused about everything, say hi.
Yeah, different industries have different requirements and stuff for people with records. Luckily it wasn't a felon, but it's still a pretty serious misdemeanor. It helps that I finished probation with little to no problems, though.

Top Bottom