App: dcdev - FFXIV, maybe RTS games and others later on (4/0)

User name: dcdev

Are you over 18?
Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
FFXIV, maybe RTS games and others later on

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with? Smoak Wead

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community?
No

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
When I was a freshman in college, a buddy and I had the bright idea of breaking into the local botanical garden down the road from us at night and having some beers and hanging out since it was pretty. It wasn’t locked at night and there was only a standard chain link fence to climb, so I thought it would be a fun in and out experience. Halfway through climbing the fence, I realize that something’s caught onto my shirt, and can’t get down. Turns out part of the fence was sticking out and hooked onto my neckline, and I ripped a hole in my shirt trying to get down. Everything was fine from then till I got a little tipsy and decided to walk on a log to get a better view of the lake. My foot slipped, and I pinwheeled backwards a bit, but managed to catch myself. Unfortunately one of my boots went splat into the swampy lake and got waterlogged to hell and back. Right after that, we saw flashlights and realized that security might have heard us, so we quickly hopped the fence and headed back to campus, my boot sloshing all the way back.

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
Honestly my current job is probably the coolest for me! I work in a lab in cognitive aging research and it’s a blast being able to work on new and exciting projects and attending cutting-edge conferences/presentations.

The worst job I’ve ever had was probably working in the multicultural center for my college mostly because it was an admin hellhole. My boss was great, my coworkers with a few exceptions were all my friends, but college admin constantly cut our funding or made it difficult for us to put on events, which got demoralizing working there for two years.

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
1) Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - it’s just the perfect length for a endlessly replayable rpg, and while the gameplay itself can be a little janky, the story and characters are both so memorable and fun that it never gets old

2) Nier Automata - it’s got fun combat and bosses, but the story is genuinely one of the most moving and emotional things I’ve ever played. I love the fact that the story requires you to replay it and gives you new information each time you go through, and as you keep going you get more of the meat of the story.

3) Fallout New Vegas - it’s just got so much heart to it, in the same vein as VTMB. The story and how you interact with it changes so much each time you go through, and I love that there’s multiple ways to end up on the same quest line so that each play through feels new.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
My freshman year roommate back when I was an undergrad probably took the cake. She seemed nice enough when we first met, but then I learned that she had a bad habit of never using headphones, even late at night. I talked to her about it early on, but she’d just acknowledge it and keep going. It got to the point that I had to buy earplugs so I wouldn’t hear Melanie Martinez at 12am on a weeknight. She also had rainbow dyed hair which also didn’t seem like an issue, but then I learned she never treated it, and kept shedding rainbow colored hair across the room and never cleaned it up.

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
I’m pretty heavily into playing music, and learned piano for over a decade, then ended up getting briefly into the ocarina in middle school, then ukulele and guitar in high school. My non-piano instruments were also self-taught, as I didn’t want to shell out money for classes, so I just ended up playing a bunch of tabs for songs I knew over and over till I got the hang of it.

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
I’m very new to MMOs, but with other multiplayer games I’ve been into, I’ve mostly only played with IRL friends due to wanting to avoid drama and hang out with people I knew were chill and fun. Seeing the general vibe and charter of this place however gives me a good feeling, as I also use the “would I have a drink with this person” test for making friends offline. This place seems like it’s a fun and solid community and really dedicated to maintaining it which I also really like.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
1) Are people typically on at all hours or are more people in one timezone than another?
2) Are there community events/movie watch togethers that are scheduled?

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
A map of the cave so I don’t get immediately lost and end up wandering around for ages till I stumble out a decade later.

Last edited by a moderator:

tallon

SWTOR Guild Leader
Promoter
Welcome to the app process!! This is indeed a chill place and the point of the app process is to filter out the drama llamas.

1) Are people typically on at all hours or are more people in one timezone than another?
We have people from all over but the majority are in the USA time zones and evening hours.

2) Are there community events/movie watch togethers that are scheduled?
Good question. We have events as people plan them. You don't have to be an officer or anything that that in the community to plan anything, you just need an idea and to voice it and people will tend to show up. Different games will have different events going on and many of us float from one game to another as it.

Fallout New Vegas - it’s just got so much heart to it, in the same vein as VTMB. The story and how you interact with it changes so much each time you go through, and I love that there’s multiple ways to end up on the same quest line so that each play through feels new.
FO New Vegas is a fantastic game, great choice on this one. I think this one is my favorite FO game, but FO4 was really fun too.

So for a rundown on the app process, you need four officer yes votes to get in and three no votes to be voted down. The best way to speed up the app process is to meet us up in game and hang out with is. You will want to stay active with this app until it's completed and banter back and forth with is so we can get to know each other a little bit. Here is the important part, we need to be a fit for you as a community as much as you need to be a fit for us. If you get into this process and don't feel like this is the right place for you feel free to back out, it won't hurt our feelings. We may think you are a decent person but not a match for our community, it's not personal. We have Mumble, discord and this forum as ways to communicate.

What RST games do you play?

Neat! I've been playing Age of Empires since I was a kid, so I've been playing the remastered version of the third game on and off sometimes. I also play Impossible Creatures since that's also a childhood game for me. I occasionally play some Total War games with some friends from high school, and I've been getting into Northgard, Frostpunk, and Crusader Kings 3 recently.

Fhaol

Promoter
Wow an awesome start to "the process" Points for guitar and uke. So what are studying about old people. if I understand right. Im old if you need a test subject lol! Well good luck and please keep up with the app so far so good IMHO! BTW Im US CST, in NW Louisiana.

Krishach

ED Leader
Guild Leader
An RTS fan? Bestill my heart. It seems to me the golden age of RTS has past, but I still play many of them. Forged Alliance (Forever) is one of my favorite. Which do you play?

Wow an awesome start to "the process" Points for guitar and uke. So what are studying about old people. if I understand right. Im old if you need a test subject lol! Well good luck and please keep up with the app so far so good IMHO! BTW Im US CST, in NW Louisiana.
Thanks! It's mostly stuff related to cognitive aging/how memory changes over time and what might be early physical or behavioral signs of later cognitive decline. I've always liked brain and behavioral science so the lab ended up being a really good fit lol.

An RTS fan? Bestill my heart. It seems to me the golden age of RTS has past, but I still play many of them. Forged Alliance (Forever) is one of my favorite. Which do you play?
Yeah!! Luckily my dad introduced me to stuff like AoE3 and Impossible Creatures and board games like Catan when I was pretty young so I've always enjoyed strategy games. Recently I've been playing Northgard, Frostpunk, and the remastered version of AoE3 tho!

Zandar1

Guild Master Meister, Messer Mover Monsieur
Community Officer
Heya DC. Zandar here, your friendly local FC lead.

We're on Aether DC, Siren server in FFXIV. Drop by and say hi and we'll show you around!

Looking forward to meeting you!

Outro question: What's your favorite Final Fantasy title, and why is it anything but 8?

Heya DC. Zandar here, your friendly local FC lead.

We're on Aether DC, Siren server in FFXIV. Drop by and say hi and we'll show you around!

Looking forward to meeting you!

Outro question: What's your favorite Final Fantasy title, and why is it anything but 8?
hey nice to hear from you! for favorite ff title that's a pretty hard question... i really love the original ff7 and i've been loving the remake so far, but i also have a huge soft spot for ffx and ffxii. it's pretty hard to pick just one honestly!

If they don't give me Blitzball in FFXIV soon I'm going to burn Eorzea to the ground. How long have you been playing FFXIV and what do you main?

If they don't give me Blitzball in FFXIV soon I'm going to burn Eorzea to the ground. How long have you been playing FFXIV and what do you main?
I've only been playing for a week or so! I actually got the game bc I saw the Endwalker trailer and was blown away by the music and visuals. Plus I have a bit more free time now so I figured I could actually put in some time to an MMO for once. Right now I main DRG and I've been enjoying it a lot, but I'm planning to pick up DRK and AST once I start Heavensward. And honestly same I would love Blitzball, especially if it becomes an event in Manderville or something.

Fhaol

Promoter
Yea, the memes are correct...your memory does suffer with age ...I guess just normally. Remembering lyrics has become really difficult. Do you play electric or acoustic guitars mostly?? I always wanted to learn piano...maybe next life lol. Your app is looking great so far!

Hello! Welcome to the App Process, and I see you are applying with Final Fantasy online, you should have gotten invite for that game recently, and what class do you play in there? and why do you enjoy it? :)

Great app so far! DC joined the free company yesterday and was friendly, fun and easy going. He was getting close to a required 8 man trial and we offered to help. Jarle, Rihn and I helped him through the content synced per DC's request. I love that DC wants to complete content synced vs undersized. It's always fun to play the content the way it was meant to be played vs stomping everything into the ground in 3 seconds due to being overpowered. He also loves watching the story cutscenes which is a sign of a long time player! Once that story puts it's hooks into you... you never escape!

Fallout NV was by far my favorite Fallout game. I couldn't even count how many hours I spent in that game. The main reason I stopped playing was I ran so many mods the game imploded.

You are 100% in for a treat if you liked Nier Automata. The current FFXIV content has three 24 man raids based on Nier and Drakengard. The content is quite good and very enjoyable. I'm happy to run you through and teach you the mechanics once you get to that point.

You asked about what times people were on . We have quite a few East and West coasters in the FFXIV free company. You should be able to find someone on up until around 2am Pacific.

Okay... okay hold up. You / we need to suggest Blitzball as a Golden Saucer event on FFXIV Twitter. This is a fantastic idea!!!

You play the guitar and piano? Those are two of my favorite instruments! FYI there are some really amazing content creators on Youtube who play FFXIV related music. Be advised there may be some spoilers but my favorite artist related to FFXIV would by far be Husky By The Geek. He is truly a fantastic guitar player. Terry:D is another great artist. He covers a lot of the FFXIV music with his piano. I have a playlist with all his songs I sometimes use to put my toddler to sleep. Alex Moukala is a music producer who breaks down a lot of FFXIV songs. He also makes some of his own. Husky and Alex have so much talent they got the attention of the FFXIV music producer, Soken.

I look forward to seeing you in game!

Yea, the memes are correct...your memory does suffer with age ...I guess just normally. Remembering lyrics has become really difficult. Do you play electric or acoustic guitars mostly?? I always wanted to learn piano...maybe next life lol. Your app is looking great so far!
I play both! Started out with acoustic and picked up electric a year or two after!

Hello! Welcome to the App Process, and I see you are applying with Final Fantasy online, you should have gotten invite for that game recently, and what class do you play in there? and why do you enjoy it? :)
hi! I'm pretty new to the game so right now I'm leveling dragoon, and I honestly really enjoy the mix between steady rotations, applying buffs, and doing jumps tbh. It's a very movement focused class which is fun for me.

Great app so far! DC joined the free company yesterday and was friendly, fun and easy going. He was getting close to a required 8 man trial and we offered to help. Jarle, Rihn and I helped him through the content synced per DC's request. I love that DC wants to complete content synced vs undersized. It's always fun to play the content the way it was meant to be played vs stomping everything into the ground in 3 seconds due to being overpowered. He also loves watching the story cutscenes which is a sign of a long time player! Once that story puts it's hooks into you... you never escape!

Fallout NV was by far my favorite Fallout game. I couldn't even count how many hours I spent in that game. The main reason I stopped playing was I ran so many mods the game imploded.

You are 100% in for a treat if you liked Nier Automata. The current FFXIV content has three 24 man raids based on Nier and Drakengard. The content is quite good and very enjoyable. I'm happy to run you through and teach you the mechanics once you get to that point.

You asked about what times people were on . We have quite a few East and West coasters in the FFXIV free company. You should be able to find someone on up until around 2am Pacific.

Okay... okay hold up. You / we need to suggest Blitzball as a Golden Saucer event on FFXIV Twitter. This is a fantastic idea!!!

You play the guitar and piano? Those are two of my favorite instruments! FYI there are some really amazing content creators on Youtube who play FFXIV related music. Be advised there may be some spoilers but my favorite artist related to FFXIV would by far be Husky By The Geek. He is truly a fantastic guitar player. Terry:Dis another great artist. He covers a lot of the FFXIV music with his piano. I have a playlist with all his songs I sometimes use to put my toddler to sleep. Alex Moukala is a music producer who breaks down a lot of FFXIV songs. He also makes some of his own. Husky and Alex have so much talent they got the attention of the FFXIV music producer, Soken.

I look forward to seeing you in game!
Thanks! Yeah I feel like completing the content as is makes you understand the mechanics better so you're not confused later on tbh. The only content I've thought of doing undersized for so far is the Coils raids since I've heard it's pretty hard to queue for normally. The story is great so far too. The Nier/Drakengard raids are also something I'm really looking forward to.

Oh man same thing happened to me with NV - I added a bunch of gameplay mods when I tried playing last year and then it kept crashing on me so I ditched it.

Thanks for the music links btw! I've seen Alex Moukala's stuff before but not Husky or Terry so I'll definitely check them out.

I play both! Started out with acoustic and picked up electric a year or two after!

hi! I'm pretty new to the game so right now I'm leveling dragoon, and I honestly really enjoy the mix between steady rotations, applying buffs, and doing jumps tbh. It's a very movement focused class which is fun for me.

Thanks! Yeah I feel like completing the content as is makes you understand the mechanics better so you're not confused later on tbh. The only content I've thought of doing undersized for so far is the Coils raids since I've heard it's pretty hard to queue for normally. The story is great so far too. The Nier/Drakengard raids are also something I'm really looking forward to.

Oh man same thing happened to me with NV - I added a bunch of gameplay mods when I tried playing last year and then it kept crashing on me so I ditched it.

Thanks for the music links btw! I've seen Alex Moukala's stuff before but not Husky or Terry so I'll definitely check them out.
nice Dude! Have you played Final Fantasy 15 yet?, and hows your weekend going? :)

nice Dude! Have you played Final Fantasy 15 yet?, and hows your weekend going? :)
My weekend has been alright so far! I had to go in for work earlier today but finished that up a bit ago.
I played FFXV when it came out but couldn’t really get into it 😕. I liked the characters a lot but the story seemed a bit uneven and I got bored with the combat after a bit. I’m excited from what I’ve seen of FFXVI though!

Krishach

ED Leader
Guild Leader
Yeah!! Luckily my dad introduced me to stuff like AoE3 and Impossible Creatures and board games like Catan when I was pretty young so I've always enjoyed strategy games. Recently I've been playing Northgard, Frostpunk, and the remastered version of AoE3 tho!
Would highly recommend Forged Alliance. I'm still hoping Stardock will get off its duff and at least confirm Sins of a Solar Empire 2, but thats more of a Grand RTS, where its more strategy and less unit micromanagement. More than Stellaris, but Stellaris borders on a Real-Time 4X.

Would highly recommend Forged Alliance. I'm still hoping Stardock will get off its duff and at least confirm Sins of a Solar Empire 2, but thats more of a Grand RTS, where its more strategy and less unit micromanagement. More than Stellaris, but Stellaris borders on a Real-Time 4X.
I’ll definitely check them out - I’ve only played a couple of Grand RTS games like Endless Space and Crusader Kings but I think I’m getting more into them.

tallon

SWTOR Guild Leader
Promoter
I’ll definitely check them out - I’ve only played a couple of Grand RTS games like Endless Space and Crusader Kings but I think I’m getting more into them.
Crusader Kings 3 is a lot of fun.

Krishach

ED Leader
Guild Leader
If you liked Endless Space, definitely check out Stellaris. Its a different focus, and I prefer it over ES tbh. It goes on sale frequently, and its earlier DLCs are well worth it.

Plus its one of the only games I can think of that lets you play an AI race or a Hive Mind, so that's a plus.

Top Bottom