App: Caelthas - Dunno all you play, but I'm currently learning STO, and plan on playing New World and Ashes of Creation on release. (2/3)

@Kiserai Oh God, my bad. I started typing all that before you posted, so didn't see your msg until now. " Those discussions belong in private messages or Member Request, not here." I'll shut up now. Not sure how to, or even if I'm able" to PM people on this forum, so I'll refrain from any other replies to previous comments. Anyone who wants a reply to what's been said is free to PM me and I'll gladly answer any questions you have, and will only reply to new questions going forward until I'm either approved or disavowed =). Thx. Sorry again Kis.

Kiserai

Community Leader
Nah you're good. I should have been more specific--of course an applicant can reply to his own application thread. Members who have disagreement with each other or with leadership should be using the tools they have to resolve it per our rules rather than derailing your thread.

Phew, thx bud. I'm not sure they were derailing my thread though. I'm not looking to rock your guys' boat. And I'm not looking to enter a house divided. If I didn't receive a unanimous acceptance, i wouldn't feel comfortable entering. While some people may be making inaccurate assumptions about me by over-emphasizing the connotations of one comment, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be asking me real questions. I'm me, and I'm not everybody's cup of tea lol. No one should be forced to drink it.

I really do try to live my life as I was taught as a child. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. But I don't believe general, non-targeted conversation is doing anything 'unto others', and I want an environment where everyone is free to be them. All of them. Good and bad. My buddy's wife (God she's awesome) recently posted a meme on her FB that said "Tomorrow you wake up as the opposite sex. What's the first thing you will do?" Her reply? " HELICOPTER! It better fucking be big enough to do that or what’s the point?"

How can you not love a woman with a sense of humor like that lol? And I want to know the community I join is ok with sharing humor like that, without someone thinking I'm objectifying men or denigrating men unable to helicopter. Know what I mean?

So please, anyone ask me anything. And cast your votes with integrity. I won't be slighted in the least if someone doesn't like me. I won't take offense. And I won't let the door hit me in the ass as I wheel out heheh.

Oh, and @Kalaan, I'd be glad to wax nostalgic about Robotech anytime broham =)

I've been chatting with Caelthas in game for about the last half hour, and my unofficial not-an-Ufficer-not-an-actual-vote vote is to say: no.

Caelthas doesn't seem like a bad guy, and I wouldn't reject him based on that joke in and of itself, but I'm just not convinced there's a good culture fit here: I don't think this is the community he's looking for, nor a great fit for our community. To me, it feels like he wants a community that's sort of like the U, but 2 steps towards 4chan in terms of attitude.

I get the fact that his main reason for posting that was to judge the community, and I appreciate that he's looking for a good fit too. I don't think there was any negative intent to the DD joke, for example, but rather an interest in our reaction to it in order to see if the fit is good. It seems to me like he wants a community that's just a bit more "anything goes" than us

My one personal-level concern is that, when this has been brought up (the main topic of the last 30 minutes in in-game chat), his attitude has felt like a"You're all taking my joke the wrong way" rather than "My joke didn't land", and I think that's where the big culture disconnect comes in. When I mentioned that it could be seen as mysogenistic, the response was to nitpick over the definition of mysogeny - I don't think that fits with the U

I wouldn't mind gaming with the guy, I wouldn't mind chatting to him at a party... but I wouldn't be inviting him to a Uey gathering at the pub. You're not a bad guy, but I don't think the U is the community you're looking for. So it's an unofficial redshirt no from me.

@audigex Thanks man. This is exactly the kind of interaction I was looking for. And I totally respect your vote. I do regret not being more precise in our convo in game though, as it's hard to be clear sometimes in limited character space. Regarding "When I mentioned that it could be seen as mysogenistic, the response was to nitpick over the definition of mysogeny", it wasn't to imply that my comment in question shouldn't have been misinterpreted as that. I know it could, and why.

If two ladies were talking about Henry Cavill's pecs in Man of Steel, I wouldn't in the least think them guilty of misandry. I don't think what I said actually was misogynistic in it's actual context is all, although it could easily be mistaken that way. And while I'm not looking for 4chan lol, I do want a community that when faced with that situation, would say "hey, wait, what'd you mean by that?", not "THIS IS VERBOTEN". And there's no better time to answer these questions than in the app process. <3 for your honesty, and I hope they take your comments into consideration even if they don't count your vote my man.

Krishach

Promoter
Its less about a house divided as it is with comfort level, and the application is the place to poke at things that can be taken more than one way. Most people, myself especially, will find some comments fall flat depending on the audience. How both sides handle what comes after says a lot more than the comment itself. Glad you appreciate feedback, and this is indeed the time you should be poking back at us as well. The best way to keep going with people is chatting with people, especially in mumble.

First impressions are important but I believe second impressions are more so. People can say things without ill intent even though it may come off that way. I'm more than willing to get to know @Caelthas as one poorly worded message / joke shouldn't be the deciding factor when making friends / meeting new people.

@Caelthas please feel free to hit me up if you ever want to chat about Robotech, FFXIV or anything. :)

Question: On a 1-10 scale of annoyance, where does Minmay land?

I don't often comment on applicant threads, but I kind of feel like I would like to urge a no here. At least for me there are a bunch of warning signs, sorry.

I think the fact that we're even discussing whether or not things are offensive should give pause.

Mutiny

Unrepentant's Andy Griffith
Community Officer
It's almost never a good sign when I hear about an application. Didn't like what I read either. Voting no.

Top Bottom