App: Caelthas - Dunno all you play, but I'm currently learning STO, and plan on playing New World and Ashes of Creation on release. (2/3)

With the multiplayer games from the past, what made you stop playing?

Let me back up for a second. STO takes a lot of investment in time to "git gud". You can try things out and see what works, chat with us in-game and here for advice, and/or look through guides like on reddit. STO is great because there are so many ways to play - solo, multiplayer, story-driven, competitive, PvP/PvE, RP or don't, paid or free - it's all possible and fun. It'll take a few months and some careful planning before you really hit the "meta". That sweet spot when your foes melt after unlocking all the reputation gear, the DOffs with all the bonuses, and the millions of in-game currency to buy the lockbox goodies.

So what makes you stop playing a game? How can we, your fleetmates, help you stay in it long enough to win it?

Oof. Not a simple answer there. Differs from game to game. Most of them were just because I tried the game but it wasn't for me. Either due to UI, gameplay, combat mechanics, graphics, story, whatever caused me to go "meh". Quit WoW because of the direction they took the game after Wrath. Rift and ESO died for me when they went F2P. I'm diggin' STO tho. Right now, I imagine I'll be playing this pretty frequently until New World launches, then I'd be one of those "now and again" players, coming back for events and new content etc.
I do a lot of googling and YT'ing to learn. I'm sorta seeing the direction I need to head for now. TFO's, rep, dil, finish campaign. While working on that, I'll learn more, and starting cluing in on what I don't even know about yet and need to learn. I don't expect to melt anything anytime soon lol. I'm digging that there's no pressure to pursue a specific path. I like that the game lends itself well to PuGs, that TFO's aren't massive time sinks, and don't seem to go sideways due to player skill level. I can see that once you've sunk the time, and get to the end of the grinds on rep, endeavors and campaign, there won't be much to do besides pursue more ships, or start over on an alt, and I'm ok w/ that.
As for help from Fleetmates, just being cool enough to answer questions is enough, and if I make the cut, being social on comms so that you care about hanging some w/ the fleetmates is the most helpful for retention.

Fhaol

Promoter
I played ESO in beta. They recently did an up[date with tthemastery point system. Hasnt it always been buy to play but if you subbed you get xtran goodies like a bottomless craft bag? IMHO it has greatly improved but Im like that about other gamers like Swtor.. they got worse especially wow after playing ESO its just too cartoony.

Cegorach- He is the Sisko
Fhaol- Thx my man. I played ESO when it released, and quit the day it went F2P. I came back to it for awhile, but just couldn't stay with it.

I'm pretty sure ESO was sub only on release. I think it was less than a year before it went buy only but no sub req'd. This was awhile ago, and it was kind of a different era I think then. When games like that and Rift went F2P, the pop flooded, but it seemed like most of that new pop were toxic trolls. The conversion to F2P was seen as the "failure" of an MMO to supplant WoW. Now it's just the norm. ESO is still a great game. I did go back to it. It... just wasn't the same for me. Jesus it's gorgeous to look at tho.

As an STO player let me attest to the fact that I have seen Caelthas active in-game on multiple occasions, in the uey chat channel. We haven't yet subjected him to the official entry gauntlet where he has to beat our 10 best players in a shuttle-only PVP battle, but once he gets a few votes we'll see if he survives...dot...dot...dot.

As an STO player let me attest to the fact that I have seen Caelthas active in-game on multiple occasions, in the uey chat channel. We haven't yet subjected him to the official entry gauntlet where he has to beat our 10 best players in a shuttle-only PVP battle, but once he gets a few votes we'll see if he survives...dot...dot...dot.
o_O
Well, here's hoping that I can still earn a pass after eating an ass whoopin lol.

o_O
Well, here's hoping that I can still earn a pass after eating an ass whoopin lol.
I'm just kidding. There is zero performance requirements, especially in-game. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be having fleet shuttle battles, though... though consoles like Sentry Mode probably make those very, very short lived.

I figured it was a joke =). Still, there's something to the "blood in" imagery of it heh. I'm just glad peeps have been so helpful when I've been asking so many questions.

Fhaol

Promoter
Yea I joined this game playing RIFT and that game really turned into a shit show :( Right now ESO is very well populated and while most games that you play with other people in seem to have their toxic players I think it has improved. I think they finally just decided to do their own thing and recently Microsoft bout their publisher? Zenimax/Bethesda so we will see what that brings. Have you ever tried more arcade like games like World of Warships?? Talk about buy to win lol but I still enjoy it sometimes. OH a YES for me.

I'm pretty sure ESO was sub only on release. I think it was less than a year before it went buy only but no sub req'd. This was awhile ago, and it was kind of a different era I think then. When games like that and Rift went F2P, the pop flooded, but it seemed like most of that new pop were toxic trolls. The conversion to F2P was seen as the "failure" of an MMO to supplant WoW. Now it's just the norm. ESO is still a great game. I did go back to it. It... just wasn't the same for me. Jesus it's gorgeous to look at tho.

Yea I joined this game playing RIFT and that game really turned into a shit show :( Right now ESO is very well populated and while most games that you play with other people in seem to have their toxic players I think it has improved. I think they finally just decided to do their own thing and recently Microsoft bout their publisher? Zenimax/Bethesda so we will see what that brings. Have you ever tried more arcade like games like World of Warships?? Talk about buy to win lol but I still enjoy it sometimes. OH a YES for me.
Yeah, Rift went sideways fast. I'd stopped doing much else than dimension crafting at the end, then the F2P hit and they broke dimensions too w/ the credit system. Meh. Haven't played WoWarships, but I did mess around with War Thunder for a hot minute. I like ESO, just can't vibe to it anymore it seems.

Krishach

Promoter
Its kind of an electoral-college thing. Positive responses from reds who've played with a candidate will get votes from Promoters now faster than anything else. Worked for me.

Thanks for your comment Rockinator, that made up my mind.

Hi there Caelthas! Nice to see you! I welcome thee to our humble STO hole xD
If you want to play together im available today. Just pop me a message!

Right on bud. I'm all kinds of underwhelming right now, so not sure what help I'd be for you lol. I'm still grinding 1/2 thru campaign and TFO's mostly right now. I'm down to sync up for whatever tho.

Right on bud. I'm all kinds of underwhelming right now, so not sure what help I'd be for you lol. I'm still grinding 1/2 thru campaign and TFO's mostly right now. I'm down to sync up for whatever tho.
Cool! I have something to do for about 90mins, and after that I can be in STO to just follow you around and muck about if you dont mind xD

Aw man. Just logged off for now. My sleep sch'd is all jacked right now. I got about 3.5 hrs last night from 11-2:30 and been up since. Gotta take a nap soon as a buddy is coming over today to troubleshoot my gf's pc. I'll likely be back on around noon-1 pdt tho if you're still available.

Top Bottom