App: Biggles - Neverwinter (4/0)

Would you have a drink with them? (the results have no bearing on whether they get in or not)

• Total voters
Membership Application
Are you over 18? (You must be 18+ to apply.)
Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
Neverwinter

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with?
@biggles#2657

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community? If so what is their forum name?
Not as yet...

So... let's talk! What follows are a bunch of questions that give us a sense of your personality, and give us something to talk about. If your answers are boring or short, we’ll assume you’re boring (and probably short).

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
Ok, t'other day mate Baz and I went to play squash, he has company membership so brought a second ID card to sneak me in for free, we meet in the car park and he passes it to me on the way in.

We hand IDs over at reception to get locker tokens and towels, the lady does the computer thing and looks from one of the cards right up at me and says "What's your name sir ?"... horrified silence... I have no bloody idea...

Baz starts to audibly giggle next to me and after a pregnant pause that seemed like weeks, I announce in a bizarrely confident, slightly jocular tone "I don't know'", Baz cracks up helplessly, as do I... she looks at us bemusedly and just hands over the tokens and towels... we were never sure whether we'd 'got away with it' on the grounds of temporary insanity.

-----------------

The last pen and paper D&D game we played was a 'bar room brawl' style mass encounter in a 3-storey hotel. Half orc bloke, elf female and my human male. It's an adventure about an auction where we have to either win, steal or at a pinch, destroy the prize lot of the evening, a very special potion.

We decide to go in as rich half orc and his two 'ladies' - one being the real female, the other being me with a polymorph spell. We spent the day prepping kit and spells, Leomund's secret chests of oil for an instant firebomb, shatter spells, unseen servants and all sorts we thought would be handy to win an auction, one way or another.

We realised at the last minute a flaw in our plan, my character had no female clothes (or none he'd admit to) so he goes shopping with the elf lady and we pick out a pair of very snazzy matching dresses, we get into the auction with our cover story, all good.

We wisely steered clear of the complementary spiked drinks, turns out it was a scam to get a few dozen rich people in an enclosed space.

Pandemonium ensues, fevered combat, indoor fireballs, firebombing and dig-spelling of structural pillars, semi-circular balcony hanging in flames, bodies clogging the stairwells, the lot, plus my brain half hanging out after a mind flayer got me but we finally crawled, battered and bleeding out of a window of the shattered building and made our escape to our nearby hotel.

On reaching safety, we realised that my burly ranger cleric was still wearing the remains of a cocktail dress :)

-----------------

Embarrassing - just led a hunt in Barovia, did first of 3 combats, boldly lead the troops across the fell bridge, fall off, and spend the rest of the hunt trying to get down the river to get out... not very impressive.

How's that lot ?

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
Divemaster and general layabout at a dive resort my mates owned on a tropical party island with no police, scooters or cars.

Why was it the coolest...? - see above :) :)

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
Given the hardware, arcade defender, accept no substitute, not the best game ever perhaps but best arcade game for sure.

Can't help trying out each new COD as they come, why..?-I wonder that sometimes... because the second one was so good !

Lemmings, of course.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
My Belgian ex-girlfriend, because she's a hopeless narcissist and she could be such a lovely woman if she'd just stop it.

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
I nearly killed myself 70m down on a dive, there were about 15 of us in a search party for 2 divers that went missing the previous day one guy and I doing the deep sweep at 50m. I got hit by massive down current, couldn't stabilise my depth even with a big technical wing inflated, sinking, sinking, couldn't drop weights as I'd be bent or dead before I hit the surface, saved by using a manually inflated safety bag for bouyancy followed by a very long and nervy decompression - have a photo of the tanks and rescue team ready to go on the boat at 06:00.

The missing divers were found by fishermen mid-morning, they'd surfaced early (the previous afternoon), boat didn't see them and they drifted out of sight, they spent all night clipped together floating South... lucky... funny thing was, this was just when the first pirated copies of 'Open Water' hit the island !

Shame no cool game-relateds - my Dad did the 'Fiend Factory' page in White Dwarf and edited the Fiend Folio - that was pretty cool at the time :)

[later] i can't find the photo from the rescue dive, so here's another cool dive thing I do have a photo of - my dive computer was on Will Goodman's wrist when he broke the depth record for rebreather ocean diving - he wore four computers in all, mine was high spec so borrowed it, so the max depth on my dive computer says 287m - he went deeper, but all failed before 300m - the record was recorded as 290m.

https://www.thescubanews.com/2014/0...ks-rebreather-world-record-for-depth-to-290m/

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
I'm looking for a bunch of gaming mates and a good solid guild, ideally with people I'd not only like to have a pint with, but who maybe live in the UK even, so might actually do so one day.

You seem big enough to have folk that want to play when I do (early eve - early hours UK time) and have a cool name... there's a lot of value in the cool name...

To be honest not sure what the difference is but I'm after a community, so I can log on to play and have a decent chance of finding folk to chat and banter with as well as killing Orcus and all that.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
Yep, what time do you play... ant particular days etc - guess I'd find that out soon enough.

Do you do masterwork - is that a guild level thing ?, I have some professions at 25 ad would like to progress in Artificing masterwork for sure, but don't know anything about it as yet.

Obviously what boons do you give but I guess I'd find that out too if you guys will have me.

Almost done!

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
An ironing board; because he's insane, all the wise old men near caves are, we know this.

A scroll of 'Tenser's Imaginary Friend', for obvious reasons.

A rubber duck, because as Adams wisely informed us, one is never alone with a rubber duck.

Welcome to The Process, Biggles!!!

So here is a basic rundown of how this goes. Think of this as a first date type of thing. You need to interact with the app process quite a bit to keep us appraised of what's going on. The main reason folks get rejected is lack of interaction. Go check out the rejected/accepted apps to see what I mean. We also 100% understand real life kicking peoples arses so we give a good bit of leeway for talking to us but do let us know if somethings going on.
4 yes votes get you IN and 3 no get you OUT but with well wishes. Yellow names (ufficers), greens (community leaders), purples (penultimate power gods aka guild leaders) can all vote. Reds are regular members and we rely on them to get a good feel for when we don't play the same games.

Your app is off to a great start I think here. Certainly you are NOT lacking for content which indicates you actually thought about it and that by itself is a great plus. You do need to get yourself an avatar, we like the pretty pictures. :)

When did you get into diving? Seems extremely nerve wracking but is the only way to see certain things of beauty. What was your favorite dive that got you thinking "man..... this is just the absolute bees knees"?

Not entirely pretty picture uploaded...

Cool, thought I might have gone on a bit much, I tend to warble on a bit when given an empty screen and probing questions !

I got into diving when I traveled around Asia in early 2000's, I latched onto a bunch of guys in Bali, went to an island ('Gili Trawangan' it's called, famous party spot) with them and just did the 1-day intro course, loved it from the off and signed up for the proper 5-day course. Ended up being mates with the owners of a brand new scuba place just along the seafront and lent them most of the rest of my travel money to fix the compressor so they could open for business, lived for free in their bungalows, ate at their little cafe and dived and dived and dived. I got all the recreational and the semi-pro courses there for free (so I could take care of customers and be useful to them !!) then moved onto technical deep/solo stuff at a more serious place down the road... dirt path... this is an island 1.5km x 2km with no roads, cars, scooters or dogs, a shitload of cats though !

To get a feel for the dive shop, check out this promo video they did... not bad for a totally amateur job ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CYLl1cinRI

Apart from a few scary moments (one outlined above), the most consistently nerve wracking thing I got from it was being paired with a complete stranger with the PADI buddy system, which works along the lines of 'if the bloke you just met 30 minutes ago does something really bloody stupid underwater, you have to risk your own safety to help out' - sure, if my buddy is a friend, or a lady... but I just met this bloke and he's being a dick, sod 'im !! - anyway, clearly I'm not the ideal Divemaster... I got out of guiding and into technical / solo diving as soon as I could, and it's the best.

I got into rebreathers, military style kit, for deeper and longer diving and loads more options to save the day if stuff goes wrong (though there is a lot more to go wrong !). I befriended and got trained by the guy that holds the current rebreather depth record (and used to hold the longest open water dive record too but got beaten in 2016... over 5 days... after my mates 4 day 'dive' in 6 metres of salt water his skin was just sloughing off, god knows what the other guy was like after 5), I was so lucky getting that level of training.

There's nothing more chilled than drifting around alone, no bubbles to scare fish away (rebreathers are generally closed systems apart from on ascent), no other divers dicking about scaring the pretty away, and no responsibilities other than to enjoy it, try not to die, and to come up before everyone else gets too bored of waiting on the boat :):)

It's hugely meditative, I liked finding a good spot to go a bit heavy and essentially sit on the bottom at a feeding spot and just let the fish surround me. With no bubbles or motion you're effectively a piece of furniture to them, I could sit for half an hour at times and just take it all in.

Funnily enough one of my favourite dives was the rescue dive... well, by that stage, body & kit recovery dive I mentioned above, it was amazing, probably with it being like half 6 in the morning, nobody ever sent out dive boats that early and it made a huge difference to the volume and range of sea life. I saw 13 devil rays (like smaller, black manta rays) almost from the off and followed them down the slope to where I was supposed to be searching. Never saw them at any other time there, amazing, and during the semi-panic phase of realising I was still sinking past 60m even with all my bouyancy filled to the max I looked up from my guages and was bang in front of a bloody great Mola Mola (Oceanic Sunfish), huge thing, right there maybe 3 or 4 metres away (it's about a meter and a half tall !) - a very rare spot, only ever seen 2 of them; I didn't have time to say hello though !

Afterwards, a few of us tried to get a weekly 6am dive going but the local boat crews weren't up for it - most of the workers came from other islands, too pricey to stay on Trawangan for the locals and the local boat mafia forbid any non-Indo folk crewing boats (even if you owned your own boat you had to pay a fee to the boat mafia for each passenger trip as your speedboat was taking business from the locals) - so couldn't be there that early. Half the paying customers would only just have made it to bed by 6am anyway, party island... so it didn't happen, shame.

Anyway, enough of diving, not been underwater for a few years, I lived out in Indonesia for 5 years in all. Now I'm back in the UK, diving doesn't appeal at all for some strange reason !!

Normally on a first date I'd let the lady talk for a bit at some point... :)

Last edited:
A bit about me and Neverwinter, as mentioned above I've been into RPGs since my Dad, who worked for TSR, sent me Greyhawk, Blackmoor and then the first proper A4 D&D book when I was 11/12 so I've always been a gamer.

I used to play NWN1 and NWN2, and even ran a PW NWN1 server for a year or so; a 200-odd area world I built called 'Rama'.

You could code your own stuff in NWN, so being an IT bod I got the NWN code to talk to SQL Server (serious proper super-fast database so data processing was suddenly very fast compared to the default 'database' it uses, and with the data crunching not happening in the NWN process it ran faster even though it was working a lot harder) so I really went to town with the world simulation side of it, for example, each NPC had a designated home, family and job/play place for kids, they would walk from home to job in the morning, then job to pub and later, pub to home in the evening so any NPC that passes you was actually going somewhere, which really made things make sense, rush hours, quiet times, pubs full at night and empty in the day etc, you could chat-ask any NPC where they lived, worked or drank and they could tell you - nice :).

It was taking way too much of my time though, I have a very addictive personality and had to sack it in the end - it was only for my gaming mates and me.

I got out of computer games when I lived in Asia. The internet connectivity isn't great on an island in Indo as you might imagine - that killed my budding poker career too :)

A bunch of mates from school days and I do a pen and paper game every few years (used to be every year but we're spread over the globe now), we were arranging one earlier this year, which we just played last weekend; along the way, in March, one guy happened to mention he played Neverwinter online.

I thought I'd join up to have a look and am hooked... absolutely bloody addicted... doesn't help that I'm 'between projects' at the moment (I do IT stuff on contract, mainly for the long holidays !!) so I've kinda been on it pretty much solid since then.

I have 11 characters in all, 4 main ones that I have affection for, and the rest because I wanted to try all the classes, plus a couple more.

All but one are level 70 now but only 3 have done any campaigns, I ground out most of the campaigns on my main lady Cassandra (SW IL 12.6k now, woohoo!) apart from Cloaked Ascendancy which I bought (just didnt fancy another long grindy campaign in town.. give me Dread Ring anyday, love that place !) but used signets of patronage and bought out campaigns for the others... another day in Sharandar would probably drive me insane.... 'cut you slow' and all that <shudder> - I still wince when someone has one as a companion, I just want to hit them with a daily or three.

She's about half way through the first part of Chult and 1/3rd into Ravenloft now - I find Chult really hard on the eyes, so garish and visually confusing... is that a plant or a monster ?? - Barovia is right up my street, love the more sinister feel, misty woods and not having a bright gold marketplace.

I'm learning to not be a rubbish Paladin at the moment, Athlander my OP just popped past IL 12k, I'd been kind of using him like a fighter solo but now I'm doing party stuff I realise there's a lot more to it.

I tanked Castle Never for the first time the other day, I died twice in the Orcus fight (rapidly followed by everyone else dying of course !) but on the third I managed to time my Sanctuary and Templar's Wrath with his wand a lot better and we made it - was very proud... and grateful for the very understanding party !

Sly is my rogue, really like her (IL 11k) but I mainly use her for solo work, pretty much got perma-stealth going so it's a whole new way to look at the game. Am gutted though, she had a great sleek black, cowled look but when she got all the nice kit from Barovia I meant to keep the old stuff for transmutes but forgot and salvaged the lot, so she looks like a bloomin' carnival orderly now.

Pinken, the last of my faves is a CW (IL 9,330) - he's only done Underdark, and that from a bought token, he's finding Barovia hard going solo.

The rest just pray and do professions now, I call it Cassandra's benevolent mafia, they hand over all the gems, she hands back her cast-offs, and nobody has to get hurt ;) - having said that, Athlander, Sly and Pinken get to keep most of their finds these days now I'm playing them properly.... but let's just say that Cassandra has a rather plump pack of Tarokka cards !

I used to daily dungeon & skirmish them all, which regularly brought in over 250k AD per day with VIP bonuses, salvage etc. but lordy what a dull grind - good thing I've no job right now and really happy there's no point to doing that now with the queue changes, what a relief.

I spent the majority of the cash on 16 heroes for each of the first 5 characters and Grandmasters all round, plus a load of mithril hardware, the plan is to get one of each profession to 25 and all of them to 25 leadership, done the former and have 3 at leadership 25 now and close with a couple more.

Bummed out that I spent loads of money on black ice kit, mithril trowel and ages scavenging black ice, upgrading forge etc - before finding out that it was all old hat and only worth using for the overload enhancements these days, damn !!!

Such a relief to only do 2 or 3 random queues a day and spend the rest of the time actually doing something fun.

Last edited:
So, you guys - anyone around here live in the UK ? - South Coast ?? - Brightonish ???

I mainly play in UK evenings and into the early hours, so would be great if there were some guild folk playing then on vaguely UTC time.

:) having said that it's now 03:50 on Monday morning here and I'm just doing one last round of profession tasks... double refining stones next week, it'll be the first one since I got some leadership professions to level 21 so want to fill my boots as much as possible :)

Last edited:

arkle

Promoter
Thought I had 5 minutes spare so I'd have a look at a couple of new applicants...15 minutes later and I've only read this one...

I dont play NW, got hooked on DDO and now can't change. I am in the UK though...

I think we have another current applicant for NW based on the South Coast, Dreamer I think...but as I don't play NW I couldn't tell you how many others play similar times to you.

Fiend folio...that means your dad gave me my first (and so far only) big break as a writer when he passed my creature design - Loculi. Still don't know why no one liked my idea for a ring of dwarf reckoning though.

Fiend folio...that means your dad gave me my first (and so far only) big break as a writer when he passed my creature design - Loculi. Still don't know why no one liked my idea for a ring of dwarf reckoning though.
Ha, glad to hear it and well done, your writing career is one success further along than mine :)

Did the ring calculate the gold value of the rare minerals in the wearer ?

I was staying with Dad in Cambridge for some of the time he was compiling creatures for the FF, there were stacks of paper everywhere with all sorts of creations - he certainly wasn't short of choices so you did well.

So what did the Loculi do ? - I vaguely recall Dad saying something about a lot of them being along the lines of 'make an earth worm 50 feet long and give it 200hp and a 4-40 bite' so yours must have been interesting to have been chosen.

>15 minutes later and I've only read this one...
Yeah... sorry about that :)

Last edited:

arkle

Promoter
The ring trapped the soul of a dwarf and would then be able to tell you lots of useful dwarf things - like distance underground and approximate direction of travel and the value of gems; but as it contained the soul of a dwarf it was considered evil aligned and likely to provoke attack from any dwarf who recognised it.

How's have you adapted to the ceaseless hot and sunny weather?

The ring trapped the soul of a dwarf and would then be able to tell you lots of useful dwarf things
Oh, I wasn't too far off then :) - perhaps one could be made from a Deuregar soul, so goodly Dwarves would probably be OK with it.

How's have you adapted to the ceaseless hot and sunny weather?
I did read than my body would acclimatise after a month or three but the heat and humidity were a bit crazy, I never quite adapted. With the electrical supply being so unreliable for AC & fridges, compressors etc. it could be a bit of a nightmare sometimes.

The locals would wear fleeces in the evening :O but the ex-pats existed in board shorts, bikinis and occasional t-shirts except for visa day, Imigrasi insisted on long legs and sleeves and no sandals in the dreaded visa place on the mainland, I'd change out of my biki... board shorts I mean... in the taxi.

There were no power lines to the mainland for the first coupe of years I was there so just big gensets with fuel being brought over by boat. With the island economy being based mainly on selling cold beer and filling scuba tanks it was a damn good thing the locals maintained them so assiduously and never forgot to order more fuel when they were getting low... oh actually, now I come to think of it... :)

Only thing to do during a power cut is drink the beer before it warms up ;)

Hi all, is it cool for me to splurge a bit and chat on other threads while I'm lurking beneath Damocles' sword ? ;)

Noticed a thread about what music folk are into at the moment, a mate just sent me a link to a band I've no idea why I'd not heard of before - Edgar Broughton Band, cracking stuff, it's like a strange melange of / precursor to Zappa and Beefheart (who I also recently learnt were school friends), have a go at their album 'Wasa Wasa' if you like either of the above, audio rip on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UgKO_KV6Mk

I got to see a musical hero of mine play live a couple of weeks back, David Byrne played in Hammersmith, his 'American Utopia' tour. The crowd were great, it was like dragging the attendees at Glastonbury '87 through a time portal, then forwards through a hedge; great to be surrounded by such a cheeful bunch of old buggers like me all jiggling away :)

The show was characteristically askew to the idea of a stage performance, it started with a completely empty stage and I was almost expecting something like the acoustic Psycho Killer where the band walked on in turn and the drum set was wheeled in at the rear, which is was similar to but not quite.

A band of perhaps 15 folk, lots of percussion, even Birimbaum (those bow & cocnut husk things from Brazil) every performer besuited in grey, entirely barefoot and ceaselessly mobile, all wireless, no instruments or cables touched the ground throughout.

The stage was surrounded by a dense curtain of hanging chain on 3 sides, pretty serious ironmongery too, stuff you could probably lift a car with judging by the way it moved, maybe a couple of hundred strands of it hanging from the gantry above... I imagine the road crew were delighted to hear about that aspect of the show :)

A great mixture of old and new, my only regret was that at one point, when the stage cleared and he was alone... an acoustic guitar was passed through the chain by a disembodied arm and he didn't start playing Psycho Killer... other than that, amazing night !

I'd always wished I'd seen the tour 'The name of this band is Talking Heads' was taken from but now at least I've seen Byrne live on stage :)

Last edited:

arkle

Promoter
Absolutely - make use of as many opportunities as you can find.

If I may be allowed to go all Lynne Truss on you; +1 for correct use of an apostrophe.

Absolutely - make use of as many opportunities as you can find.

If I may be allowed to go all Lynne Truss on you; +1 for correct use of an apostrophe.
And I thought it was just a book about Panda's... Pandas !

Good lord, England won a football match again, isn't this a precursor of end of days or the age of Aquarius or something ?

Last edited:

Learnedhand

Promoter
Biggles, if you haven't done so already, you can join us in Neverwinter while your application is pending by joining our chat channel in game and requesting an invite. The command to join channel is /channel_join uey.

Gwynn

Community Officer
Community Officer
Did you ever get a guild invite, Biggles? I'm not seeing you on our Neverwinter Roster.

The Kraken got him.... :p

Fun app so far!

To answer your questions:
1. We generally have some people on at just about any hour. US prime time is our busiest (6pm-11pm EST), but having members worldwide, it's pretty rare for the guild to have zero people on.
2. We do have a couple people doing Mastercraft stuff. Not me, though. Too bloody expensive, and I haven't ever gotten a Forgehammer. Ever.
3. Guild boons: Power or ArP or Group Stat for offense, Lifesteal or Defense (No HP) for defensive, and for Utility - XP, mount speed, res sickness, or double Explorer chart materials (great for our Mastercrafters, or AD generation for those who aren't)

Very cool that your dad was involved with the Fiend Folio. Do you still have a copy around the house? One with Cthulu in it? :p

Now, the problem... everyone knows that the original Star Wars arcade game was best. Not Defender. :p

Did you have any particular favorite modules in NWN? Anything that stands out? I recall the remake of Pool of Radiance, and it was pretty well done...

As for NW stuff - I fully relate to having that alt army. With Barovia, though, I'm starting to send a bit of gear to alts who are well behind the gear curve, so I might dust them off a bit, and start pushing through some campaigns when I'm bored.

Learnedhand

Promoter
Got Biggles hooked up with a Neverwinter invite today. Seems to be fitting in well so far.

Biggles, if you haven't done so already, you can join us in Neverwinter while your application is pending by joining our chat channel in game and requesting an invite. The command to join channel is /channel_join uey.
Thanks, I hadn't but just did tonight, been chatting with a few folk and went on an excursion to castle Ravenloft with some allies... let's just say the first courtyard has a new, more sanguine colour scheme than previously.... boy it's tough !

Top Bottom