App: Alek, previously Walzeran - Neverwinter to begin with, more later? (0/0)

Would you have a drink with them? (the results have no bearing on whether they get in or not)

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Membership Application
Are you over 18? (You must be 18+ to apply.)
Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
Neverwinter to begin with, more later?

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with?
Walzeran

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community? If so what is their forum name?
No i do not

So... let's talk! What follows are a bunch of questions that give us a sense of your personality, and give us something to talk about. If your answers are boring or short, we’ll assume you’re boring (and probably short).

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
Prior to everything i'd like to say that this is my second attempt at writing an application, since after spending more than an hour on my first attempt, after clicking submit it went to the next site and told me i'm not logged in, thus loosing all of my progress... let's try again.
Also another thing before i start answering the questions: i will pretty much always be role-playing as my character Walzeran, however since you've stated that you take this part very seriously, i suppose i won't be roleplaying here.

The dumbest thing i've done so far as an adult, which i haven't been long for, since i'm only 19.5 years old, is buying a white board. Before telling you why that is dumb, some backstory: I consider myself a programmer and through the many videos i've seen online i noticed that there are a lot of programmers using white boards for notes so they could reference them during work. Me thinking that i'd be using it a lot and that it's really useful, plus it looks cool decided to buy it. The dumb part is the fact that i spent money on an item which in 6 months i used less than ten times, while also barely having enough money to pay for food... badly handled money.

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
I've had three jobs so far:
1* Strawberry picker
2* Supermarket - guy who resupplies the drinks area during summer
3* Tech. Support for a new wi-fi security device

The worst one would have to be 1*. Now it wasn't really That bad a job, however since there's not many competitors, 1* kind of wins. The job was meant to be a 10 week job picking strawberries from a farm during summer, while living in a tent near the farm and eating the food which the farmer family gave us, which had absolutely no taste (seriously though, if you were blindfolded you couldn't tell what's being put into your mouth). I went to this place with my younger cousin, she also wanted to earn some money, so i thought, hey - it's a great opportunity to also spend some time with her, since she's actually really cool, but we don't get the opportunities to spend time together otherwise. And so the job began, it wasn't easy at first, the day seemed long and rather boring, the food was bland, but there were good moments - i got to spend some time with my cousin and i also met this really interesting old man who lived with the farmers there, who told me quite a few war stories, which was really quite cool. However as the week went by i started noticing leg pain which grew by the day, since walking through the field and constantly crouching 8 hours a day every day, for someone who spents most their time at the computer can be quite exhausting. On top of that i realized that i'd have to spend over two more months here, sleeping in an uncomfortable tent, eating bland food, feeling the leg pain everyday. So i decided to endure for a month and then leave, mostly because i didn't want to leave my cousin alone there. However, by the end of the first week, my cousin expressed the fact that she didn't like this place or the work whatsoever and wanted to leave, and thus with her having said that there was no real reason for me to stick around any longer so we both left. Now, i'd like to repeat myself from the begining - the job wasn't really that bad, however, i've only had 3, so this one would be the worst.

As far as the best job, i'd have to go with my latest one, 3*.
The coolest part about this job was the fact that my co-workers, my boss and his boss were all really easy to talk to and the fact that i was able to work english in my workplace was really cool too. On top of that, the "office" that i worked at was a two floor apartment which was really fancy on the inside and also it was in the fancy part of the town i lived in then, so all those factors add up to this one being the best so far.

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
The Witness[1], Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim[2] and Sid Meier's Civilization Series[3].

[1] because the game is just a masterpiece of visuals, puzzle design and non-traditional story telling. One of the best games i ever played.

[2] Because there's just something about Skyrim that keeps pulling me back in, whether it be the new mods, the massive world, or the world where a chicken's life is as valuable as yours.

[3] (now i know that i was asked for "games" and i provided a franchise, but stick with me) Civilization is just one of the best and most fun games of it's genre that just keeps on improving with the ever new iteration of the franchise. It's fun, it's always different and it can be challenging if you're looking for that.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
Long story short - my mother while i was a teen after my parent had a divorce and she became needy.

I'd prefer not to go into too many details about this story, but i would like to state that my relationship with my mother before and after that were and are great, i love her, it was just a phase. I'd also like to say that when i was first filling in this application it took me over 10 minutes to think of people who annoyed me, since there are very few people who do, especially lately, since as i've grown i have become more and more tolerant of others.

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
My intelligence is over 20!
Seriously though, i was born like, with a good brain.
My intelligence led me to be really good at math, every year that i was able i managed to get to the final step of the Mathematics Olympics, which is the National step, and a couple time even manged to get into TOP 20 in my country.
After IT began in school programming took over as my main hobby and a whole year before really allowed i was able to participate in the Programming Olympiad and was able to get to final step as well, which is quite surprising considering we haven't even started learning the basics in school yet, i learned it all on my own.
Fast forward to now, when i am able to write programs in about 14 different languages and still loving it, and able to learn things Really fast compared to others as long as what i'm learning about is interesting to me.
Some might not consider that cool, but it's cool to me.

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
I've had my fair share of "regular" guilds, but this time i'm looking for an active and social guild which you at least seem to be. The reason i'm looking for a guild like that is because after starting playing Neverwinter, which is based on D&D, i imported my actual character into the game and decided that i'd like to RP [Role-Play] All the interactions that I have, In-Game and Outside of it, simply to make it more interesting. And you seemed exactly the type of guild i'm aiming for.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
When was this website made/last updated? Cause it needs some fixing/updating

When would it be not okay to RP as Walzeran?

How many people are usually online and willing to chat?

How many people are playing Neverwinter in your group?

Is there anyone playing or interested in playing D&D online in your group/guild?

You said "This person is someone I would want to have a drink with.", my question: can the drinks be non-alcoholic?

I think i saw it somewhere, but could you link me to the guild's TeamSpeak, Mumble, Discord, or whatever you guys use?

Almost done!

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
Serious: "A wooden sword, since i have nothing else to protect myself with, yet"
Not-Serious: "A small blue flying ball with tiny wings which is really useful since it keeps on repeating 'Hey! Listen!', just like this thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDRZ7EOU4Vw "

If possible i would like to have a conversation within the guild stronghold about my champion Wougon with someone who represents the in-game guild

Last edited:
Did a couple runs with Walzeran. Had a few laughs. He was particularly helpful in Pirate's Skyhold. He so did not collect wisps over doing the actual quests. He even got the #1 spot in the event by not doing that event at all. lol

A bit of a language barrier tho cause he has a unique way of communicating. Talk to him and you'll find out! :D

Death_Rictus

Shotgun Enthusiast
Welcome to the U's application process. You'll probably get a more Neverwinter-y introduction later from someone currently playing it.

I'm not entirely sure how many hardcore RPers we have, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised to find it zero. Someone playing Neverwinter could tell you for sure. Would that a problem for you?

We've had tabletop style RPGs played here in the past through google docs/roll20/etc. I'd love to get in to a game again, but I don't think we have anyone willing to DM.

Alcohol is not a requirement, despite all our advertising. :)

I've sent you a private message with the mumble information.

Did a couple runs with Walzeran. Had a few laughs. He was particularly helpful in Pirate's Skyhold. He so did not collect wisps over doing the actual quests. He even got the #1 spot in the event by not doing that event at all. lol

A bit of a language barrier tho cause he has a unique way of communicating. Talk to him and you'll find out! :D
Those wisps were just getting in my way, who was i to deny them.
And communication is no issue at all, for i speak in Common, Elvish and Dwarvish languages, which is more than most do.
Thank you for the kind words though, perhaps hearing them will also become a possibility if your voice is ever fixed to be able to move through the communication link.

Welcome to the U's application process. You'll probably get a more Neverwinter-y introduction later from someone currently playing it.
Thank you. The reception from the guild members has been more than perfect so far.

I'm not entirely sure how many hardcore RPers we have, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised to find it zero. Someone playing Neverwinter could tell you for sure. Would that a problem for you?
Problem? no
A challenge which i'm willing to take? very much so

We've had tabletop style RPGs played here in the past through google docs/roll20/etc. I'd love to get in to a game again, but I don't think we have anyone willing to DM.
If all goes well, i myself have a few stories to tell.

Alcohol is not a requirement, despite all our advertising. :)
Wonderful, my body doesn't like alcoholic drinks.

Those wisps were just getting in my way, who was i to deny them.
Of course they were. You weren't actually actively looking for them. They just happened to appear wherever you were. :rolleyes:

doyler

NWO Guild Leader
welcome to the app process if you need help or advice on anything most people should be more than willing to give you a hand or advice. if you are after a guild leader look for cola gwynne ironzerg reddevil or trontonian

Wow trying to write a reply and mesmerized by doyler's avatar, ok just one more time through from the beginning, ok one more...

Hope I bump into you in game, I'm happy to chat with ya, one of the reasons I enjoy the U actually. Games, company, beverages, and a shared dislike/distrust of pants. RoyaLe's comments about your communication has fully piqued my curiosity.

Loved your story on the whiteboard a refreshing take on both 'fake it till you make it' and 'dress for the job you want not the job you have', in kind of a cautionary tale sort of way. Myself when I started with programming my mentor had a rubber duck sitting on his monitor. One day I finally asked him why and he explained that he likes to 'rubber duck' his code and the duck helps him work out problems. What he meant was he would explain it to the duck, and hearing him say the issues out loud would help him to understand his code better and also see where a flaw maybe that needed a little tlc.

Do you have a 'rubber duck' of some kind?

Last edited:
Bit of info for everyone - been busy with life for a while so haven't been around but once things settle down i'll go back to playing games

Do you have a 'rubber duck' of some kind?
My duck would be: Me, Myself and I.
I talk to myself a lot, which to some is a sign of insanity, and perhaps that's what it is, but it helps to talk out loud with myself about what i'm doing, what i'm trying to achieve and what i've done so far. However for me programming is somewhat a natural thing by now, since after knowing what is required of me, i quickly think of a basic plan in my head and just start writing it as code and most of the times that just works straight up. Then again there are rare moments when i need to think out loud how to create some very difficult system in a fast and compact way.

Last edited:
I can't tell how Wal's full-time role-play gig is going to work with the U. I'd like to think that it will, that it would add some variety. As far as I know, there are no RPers in the NW voice channel. In fact, I have not been aware of any NW RPers in our guild, but I may just be naive. Honestly, I kinda hope that's the case. It's harmless fun. I know that we have folks who actually play DnD... so, why not?

After a brief night, I give Wal and his RP spin a tentative thumbs up, and at the least I'd like to see him keep at it for a while as an experiment if it suits him and the rest of the U. It's a fresh break from "Which companion gives me the most DPS, man?"

I thought Wal has a great sense of humor and is obviously very creative. It was a touch startling to join the voice channel and, without warning, find out that I was joining into the midst of some RP going on. But, the whole thing was handled congenially and things kept moving along.

On the other hand, I have to press that this an application for a long term gig. There are Uey members who have already been with us for almost the length of the average US marriage. So, I expect it'll be important that Wal lets us get to know the guy behind the RP face.

huntgod

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds
Promoter
So my reservations here is that we are not looking to bring a character into our community, so if his interactions are going to ALL be filtered through this game persona, I don't think we are going to be a good fit.

If you are interested in joining as the person presenting that character, that is someone we'd be interested in meeting, but we are a community that spreads over many games and environments, not a single game.

Gwynn

Community Officer
Hunt sums it up pretty well I guess. Here's my concern. I'm told you're a very very nice person, but I wonder if we're really what you're looking for in a guild/community? Why not join an RP community, who will be able to support you in the way you want to play your game? We've had RPers in our branch in the past, but they did not RP in the guild (it's just not going to work for us) and limited their RP to the larger NW RP community. I personally would find it incredibly off putting to have someone try to RP with me in the role of a character while I'm trying to talk to them person to person.

My 50 cents here and brief history. Super brief. Walz was actually one of the very first people I heard online in any game ever, Whodunit being the other person but he was drunk and incoherent at that time (HA) and was online for only a few. Haha. Was an applicant a few weeks back and I fired up mumble at the same time as them. I'm mentioning this because you never forget your firsts, amirite? :D

I admit it was kinda frustrating that time to explain to Walz, or his persona, how to set up mumble when words such as "google" and "the internet" were not in his vocabulary. But it was a challenge that I gladly accepted and from how you guys treated me, I paid it forward and remained as cool as evah to any and all types of gamers and I did manage to get him setup after finding ways to communicate. I was a newbie to the guild after all, still am, and was as courteous as the awesome guildies I've interacted with in and out of the game. Haha. Was definitely an interesting night, looking back.

After that, Whodunit having logged off cause he was so drunk he was just hitting tree barks and such there was a moment were Walz got into a discussion of bringing the dead back to life thru his character and to be honest, I did not know how to respond, sadly. (Whodunit might've been still around to hear this discussion IDK he drunk haha) D: Walz however, game me an out by saying I didn't hafta answer, actually he said that most of the time when stuff got a little too hardcore RP?

He was, generally, a good player in-game and we ran a whole map together, speaking mostly about quests and smashing mobs and a little light RP here and there which was okay. The hardcore stuff is where communication barriers happen but Walz was kind enough, I presume, to layoff the lengthy discussions. If I may say so myself, we had a pretty good time completing that map, Pirate's Skyhold.

I think that, if Walz was ever so willing, to at least set some boundaries? Not that he has to limit himself since it's him after all. But seeing as we're (I can say "we" as a collective now cause I'm in yo <3) a community, hard emphasis on community, of gamers with diff backgrounds who mostly /are/ who we /are/ and get onto here to talk or listen to other real ppl, if yah get my drift, setting boundaries between the RP and the real person could be a possible solution in this scenario? Unless, of course, Walz is really keen on RPing 100% and then IDK.

It /is/ fun tho, to talk to a character /at times/ but not all the time (sorry Walz! D: ). Not that I have a mic yet. Haha.

Fun fact: The 2 times I've been to the moonstone mask, I've seen ppl RPing there, and some scattered along my journey to item level 100000000000.1. Maybe Walz could let his full fledged and awesome character out with those gamers but oh, yeah... that kinda beats the purpose of joining a guild. D:

We've had RPers in our branch in the past, but they did not RP in the guild (it's just not going to work for us) and limited their RP to the larger NW RP community
This works too Walz! :D

Last edited:
Having a discussion about what a pizza is made of is a flavor of distraction I haven't tasted before here. Of course that was right when I logged in, so not sure how we got there, but I assumed is was in the back seat/trunk of one of Guy Fieri's many convertible muscle cars.

Usually have to pay extra for RP, but I agree with Gwynn, and RoyaLe's fiddy cent above really puts it in perspective. It's possible 'there is no Dana, only Zuul', which would make normal (for us) conversation challenging.

I don't really care what we talk about, that's part of the fun, and normal mubble/discord etiquette aside, I would assume it would be just as trying for him to RP in a room of non-RPer's as it is the other way around.

Damn, i guess it's time to break the RP'ing then, cause i kind of like this guild more than other ones i've been in.

I guess when it comes to it i will try to continue RP'ing in the NW in-game chat, but when it comes to voice chat (discord/mumble) and other games i shall be myself then, not Walzeran.

The roleplaying thing was really just an experiment to see if it would work and now that there's some feedback it's clear that boundaries are needed and 100% RP is not quite possible, because as D'Troit stated:

I would assume it would be just as trying for him to RP in a room of non-RPer's as it is the other way around.
Which it was, since i didn't want to be an asshole and interrupt every conversation by saying "what does that mean?", even though me as a person knows exactly what it is, but my character Walzeran doesn't since as RoyaLe said, he had to explain what google means and the internet itself to Walzeran.

Hopefully RP'ing only in-game and revealing myself in voice chat won't take away too much from my character Walzeran and people will still be able to get into the story of the game while playing, but at least this way me as a person will be able to participate in a lot more conversations this way.

Thank you everyone for your feedback :)

Also, since i'm only going to RP in game, is there any way to change my username in the forums?

Since my real name is Alek and i'd like that name to be there instead of my character's name

Wonderful that you took this for what it was, feedback and not a personal attack. I for one am looking forward to chatting and getting to know Alek.

As for the name change, yes it can be done, but I'm not sure you can get to that area of the forum yet, perhaps a mod will see this and change it for you.

Feel free to enter chat anytime.

It appears I do not have the permissions to change your name, so I will put in a ticket to our powers that be. ALL HAIL OUR GLORIOUS LEADERS!

I used to RP a bit back in WOW - good times. Now I RP as a useful officer and gentleman on the Unrepentant Forums!

Top Bottom