App: ALDRIK - Neverwinter Online (4/0)

Would you have a drink with them? (the results have no bearing on whether they get in or not)

• Total voters
Membership Application
Are you over 18? (You must be 18+ to apply.)
Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
Neverwinter Online

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with?
Aldrik

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community? If so what is their forum name?
Not Yet *wink wink nudge nudge*

So... let's talk! What follows are a bunch of questions that give us a sense of your personality, and give us something to talk about. If your answers are boring or short, we’ll assume you’re boring (and probably short).

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
It is interesting that the first essay question is, "Tell us a story..." I have thousands! And I am sometimes guilty of verbosity.

So I'm working construction labor with a guy I graduated with (Jason), for a guy we graduated with (Dan). We were putting a new roof on Dan's house. Dan had the air nailer and I was feeding him shingles. Dan said, "Cmon Dave faster, faster. Pretend like you're back in the Army (I was in the Air Force) and you're in combat!" I looked at Dan for a minute and then said, "Can I have the gun?" [I think Jason was down in his truck rolling one*] *I like the beer thing, and Lord knows I drank enough in Germany to kill a few circus elephants, but herb is my game enhancement substance of choice :)

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
Jobs generally suck. It is very difficult to find a company that cares more about its employees and customers than they do their bottom line. My current job probably wins in both categories. I game to escape the frustrations of working for someone else :)

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
Well, I have never been a console gamer. I usually play MMORPGs for years at a time. UO, Everquest, WoW. So, once I move on, it is usually a new chapter in my gaming life.

Back in the old days, you know Billy, when we had to walk uphill both ways to and from school, I used to go to these places called arcades, armed with rolls of quarters.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
I am traumatized by annoying people and try to forget them as soon as possible. I would also have break rule #4 to accurately portray the annoyingness of the most annoying person I have ever met.

Selfishness, arrogance, and ignorance are all very annoying to me.

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
I have six toes on my left foot. No, I don't, I'm sorry. Wait, no I'm not! I'm Unrepentant!

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
You seem to work really hard to be a "dick free" group. Dicks are annoying.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
What is the decimal equivalent of the binary 111? No calculators or Google!

What? I had to write like 8 essays!

Um, in closing I would like to say that I have better stories, and that I completed this form while I was more tired than inspired. That I choose to do so at such a time should be highly indicative of my burning desire to be a valued member of your esteemed community.

Almost done!

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
He hands me a Holy Hand Grenade, because Holy Hand Grenades are rumored to be effective against all cave dwelling creatures, up to and including killer rabbits.

Oh man I miss going to arcades back in the day. I spent a crap ton of money on Golden Axe and WWF Summerslam.

What games did you gravitate towards at the arcade?

decimal equivalent of binary 111? too easy. tis 7.

2^2 + 2 ^1 + 2^0 = 7

be forewarned, there be geeks in yon cave.

and maybe killer rabbits.

:cool:

I liked Asteroids and Space Invaders... Tempest, Missile Command, Tron

Hi, welcome to the App process. This process is the only thing we truly take serious, so if you haven't already done so, please take a moment to read over the rules which can be found HERE.

Now that that is out of the way, you may notice that we have members with different color usernames. Those with
YELLOW names are affectionately called Ufficers, and they are the gatekeepers to the U, and are responsible for voting YES or NO. Applicants need 4 YES vote to get in and if they receive 3 NO votes, then they are voted off the island. Usernames in RED are members and they will be aiding the Ufficers by letting them know about your interactions in game.

Now, on to the Neverwinter part. If you haven't already done so, please join our custom chat channel via /channel_join Uey. This is the channel we use for in-game chatting. From there, you can ask a member for a guild invite. Once invited, please be sure to add your forum name to your member comment on the guild tab so others will know who you are. We also use Mumble for our voice chat and info on setting that up can be found
HERE.

So I see you played EQ, what server and what was your favorite class?

Oh, and since you don't like dicks, I'm sure you will get along with style really well because

Namreka That is one of my favorite Bill Murray bits! He had some awesome stuff in Caddyshack as well. I forget the server damnit but I played a mage, the one with elemental pets :) It was one of the classes that you had to do that underwater boss for the epic weapon :)

Definitely willing to talk in game which is lovely! We'll have to get Aldrik set up on Mumble so we can respond better while questing.

For questions:

What's a book you enjoyed reading a lot?

Is there anything you collect or hoard in or outside of a game?

What's a book you enjoyed reading a lot?

Books... I have been a voracious reader since forever. One of my all time favorites was the Chronicles of Amber (series) by Roger Zelazny.

The collecting one is harder to answer. :)

I'm a bit fuzzy in the best job ever and most annoying person. There has to be at least one that stands apart in both categories.

I'm a bit fuzzy in the best job ever and most annoying person. There has to be at least one that stands apart in both categories.
Ok, I will answer all the questions, with one as verbose as possible story, in a nod to my new Canadian friend. Canada by the way has some decent beer eh?

So I was working as a Teleport Technician at the only US facility of the Canadian giant Telesat. Satellite Communications is a very specialized field. People with experience are usually veterans, as I was - 1st Combat Communications Group, Germany, USAF. That experience was all mobile. I also had 10 years civilian experience at two different fixed sites in California.

It was my best job ever because, two weeks after I started, they adjusted the pay scale and I got a 60% raise. I had a company Amex card, laptop... They sent me to Toronto for a class and put me up in the Sheraton downtown... It costs $50 a day just to park your car there. And you had to pay somebody 20 bucks to get it. And then tip them! lol They told us not to eat steak and lobster every night. They sent me out to Salt Lake as well.

They sold or merged or some shit, and I survived that. So that was good. The teleport I worked at had one customer, one reason for existence. General Motors. When then economy tanked things got pretty sucky. The most annoying person I ever met, was Matthew Lang. He was a kid, the only tech with no satellite experience. He was an almost associates degree IT guy. So, he basically knew the first three racks of equipment. Not a bloody clue about HPAs, antennas, UPS systems, RF, Video Waveforms, etc... He thought he was hot shit. He found a pay stub of mine while rifling my desk (my fault but still - dick!). He was infuriated that someone with the same level of education, and 15 years (vs. 0) experience should make more money than him. He made it his mission to destroy me. He sabotaged a team project that I was responsible for which led to me getting the second lowest review possible.

It was the worst job I ever had because the day before I was supposed to leave on an epic vacation, after look-me-in-the-eye-assurances that my job was safe, I was fired. The vacation was to be to Dry Tortugas National Park, in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. You go to Key West, then get on a boat and go about 5 hours west out into the ocean. The fort there is the largest free-standing brick structure in the western hemisphere. That was about 15 years ago.

I have reservations this November 27, 28 and 29 in the last Florida State Park campground before Key West. And November 30, I will get up and take the ferry out to DT and spend three nights on the island (rustic primitive camping). I will be 51 on November 30th, and it will be the 1st anniversary of my mother's death. She died on my 50th birthday, which I spent hauling ass from SC to Michigan.

no words left at this time

Last edited:
That's a bit better. Part of the experience and shit is us asking questions that flesh out your initial app and help us get a better feel for you.

And sorry about your mom, that's a completely different level of suck.

I collected these on a camping trip along the Michigan shore of Lake Michigan. The next series will be Mid-Atlantic :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom