App: afje - Primarily FFXIV. I tend to be a serial gamer though I do also play World of Tanks with a few friends online. (4/0)

User name: afje

Are you over 18?
Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
Primarily FFXIV. I tend to be a serial gamer though I do also play World of Tanks with a few friends online.

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with? Afje Jensen

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community?
No

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
I almost burnt down my condo building while making toast. Two large slices of rye in the toaster, and I think something went wrong with the spring as they didn't pop up. The toast was long enough that it was sticking out the top, the kind where you toast for a bit, then flip the toast and toast it again. I was at the computer when I smelled something burning. I went to the toaster and pulled the toast out by the uncooked part at the top and I swear the bottom half of the toast was glowing orange. Smoke just started billowing off it and basically filled the condo, luckily no actual fire as I just dumped the toast in the sink and poured water on it, and then ran a fan at the window to blow the smoke out. I had no idea that toast could make that much smoke, it was absolutely unreal.

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
Worst job I ever had was graveyard shift in a convenience store. It was in a small town, so not dangerous at all just incredibly boring. The coolest job I've ever had is probably my current job, I design computer systems to catch money laundering for a large bank.

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
Probably cheating to say Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout 4? Checking my steam playtime Borderlands 2 and Slay the Spire are way up there. At one point I would have said WoW, but... well... you know.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
A co-worker with an unbelievable work ethic and very limited talent. She produced absolutely huge design documents (100+ pages) that were tragically awful. Soooo much work to get them into good shape.

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
I sing in choirs, or do when not locked down due to pandemics.

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
When I started looking for an FC in FFXIV my criteria were a chill group of people, that included older gamers, that would be low drama and no misogynous/racist/homophobic nonsense. I stumbled across Unrepentant on the FFXIV recruitment subreddit and it looked to be a good fit.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
How active is unrepentant in FFXIV currently? What time of day/day of the week is the FC most active? What types of content are run?

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
A lantern, so I won't get eaten by a grue.

Zandar1

Guild Master Meister, Messer Mover Monsieur
Community Officer
Howdy, Afje!

Welcome to the U's application process, we're glad to see you!

I almost burnt down my condo building while making toast.
Nice.

I design computer systems to catch money laundering for a large bank.
Movies would have us believe that this gets you killed by Jason Statham and Famke Janssen.

I sing in choirs, or do when not locked down due to pandemics.
So do the Zandarparents, they do love to sing.

When I started looking for an FC in FFXIV my criteria were a chill group of people, that included older gamers, that would be low drama and no misogynous/racist/homophobic nonsense. I stumbled across Unrepentant on the FFXIV recruitment subreddit and it looked to be a good fit.
We aggressively weed crap out through the app process, and those who make it through don't last real long. At least, that's the goal. We've been around almost 15 years now, so we're doing something right.

How active is unrepentant in FFXIV currently? What time of day/day of the week is the FC most active? What types of content are run?
We're pretty active on a daily basis, mostly in the evening hours and weekends, but people are around quite a bit. We run EX primals and 24-man alliance stuff, and help people catch up with story, as well as having several savage raid and a couple of Ultimate raid level folks.

We're on Aether DC Siren Server if you want to drop by and say hi.

Movies would have us believe that this gets you killed by Jason Statham and Famke Janssen.
I have to say I don't find Jason Statham all that threatening. Famke Janssen on the other hand is definitely a bad ass.

We aggressively weed crap out through the app process, and those who make it through don't last real long. At least, that's the goal. We've been around almost 15 years now, so we're doing something right.
Very cool.

We're pretty active on a daily basis, mostly in the evening hours and weekends, but people are around quite a bit. We run EX primals and 24-man alliance stuff, and help people catch up with story, as well as having several savage raid and a couple of Ultimate raid level folks.

We're on Aether DC Siren Server if you want to drop by and say hi.
I'm still working my way through the MSQ, just hit heavensward so have a ways to go, but taking my time and enjoying it.
I'm on Siren as well so I'll hit you up and say hi.

I almost burnt down my condo building while making toast.
That's believe it or not not a new one for me I seen worse I seen someone burn their house down by falling asleep using laptop on bed the heat generated from the suffocated laptop caused dust inside to ignite and set bedroom on fire. Was emt for like 10 years so seen allot of weird and horrible shit. With that said I won't lie it gave me chuckle.

Now question what kind of chips is it what songs do your choir sing?

Now question what kind of chips is it
As in favourite chips? Probably corn chips with guacamole.

what songs do your choir sing?
Most of the choirs I've been in do a lot of classical repertoire (Mozart, Handel, Bach, Beethoven etc.) though each one tends to have one other "thing" that they focus on as well, Jazz, Folk etc. The last choir I was in was all pop adaptations which was kind of cool.

Zandar1

Community Officer
Most of the choirs I've been in do a lot of classical repertoire (Mozart, Handel, Bach, Beethoven etc.) though each one tends to have one other "thing" that they focus on as well, Jazz, Folk etc. The last choir I was in was all pop adaptations which was kind of cool.
Nice!

Any of that online? I do love choral performances.

Liked the music! Now we need to get Pfloyd in here to cover it on gee-tar. Our FF14 group is having quite the renaissance right now many peeps coming back or picking it up the first time. My wife just started and I'm back after a prolonged absence.

Oh god I just realized those are boxers in your avatar Z. (x.x)

Zandar1

Community Officer
Afje has been active in game, but we'd like to see you here too!

I'm around and have been checking in on the thread at least daily. Anything you'd like to chat about?

Zandar1

Community Officer
I'm around and have been checking in on the thread at least daily. Anything you'd like to chat about?
Well, we do like to get to know folks better.

What class do you plan on maining in Endwalker, for instance.

What changes would you make to that class?

Good question. I'm currently leveling WhiteMage through the MSQ up to 71 now, and have played a little with Thaumaturge, Marauder and Lancer but none have even hit 30 yet. Most likely stick with a healer to main for Endwalker and I am enjoying WhiteMage so likely to stick with that, but I plan on playing around with a bunch of classes before Endwalker hits so I might change my mind.

In terms of what to change with whitemage, it's tricky to say as I haven't unlocked the full suite of abilities yet so the flavour of the class may change when I hit 80. If I had to pick something though I'd probably have the class lean more heavily into HoTs and proactive heals as it seems to be something that sets it apart from the other healers, and resto druids in WoW show that it can be effective. It does tend to lead to extreme overhealing though.

I played a lot of wow from end of vanilla through WoTLK and again in Legion, and I've played most of the classes in WoW at max level (for whatever their max level was at the time). I main tanked as warrior through black temple, and quite a lot with Feral Druid in Legion and I don't think I could commit the time right now to tanking like that. I find tanking requires much more study of encounters than other roles and with the kiddo now my time is more restricted than it once was. Not to say you don't have to learn the encounters as dps or heals, but it always feels like a little less pressure to have every nuance memorized.

In terms of other classes I want to play around with, I like the sound of the high mobility dragoon and fully intend to leap backwards off things to my doom repeatedly. Samurai sound fun, but just seems massively complicated, I may get around to fiddling with it eventually though. Black mage seems simple with giant booms, but heavily rewarded for smart positioning and encounter knowledge, and I'm looking forward to giving it go. When I do get around to tanking it's a really hard choice which way to go. I like the aesthetic of warrior, dark knight and pally. Gun breaker doesn't really appeal.

Haven't really given much thought to crafting or gathering yet, but I do have the all important fishing up to level 11 so far.

I'll throw out a question. What do you find are the most effective methods of leveling alt jobs/classes? I've really relied on the MSQ for my first class, and it looks like relying on the roulettes with a dps will mean a lot of queues.

Zandar1

Community Officer
In terms of what to change with whitemage, it's tricky to say as I haven't unlocked the full suite of abilities yet so the flavour of the class may change when I hit 80. If I had to pick something though I'd probably have the class lean more heavily into HoTs and proactive heals as it seems to be something that sets it apart from the other healers, and resto druids in WoW show that it can be effective. It does tend to lead to extreme overhealing though.
OK, that's a fair point.

What do you find are the most effective methods of leveling alt jobs/classes? I've really relied on the MSQ for my first class, and it looks like relying on the roulettes with a dps will mean a lot of queues.
Main scenario roulette is worth 45-65% of a level daily, that and a leveling roulette will usually get you a level a day or more, toss in Alliance Roulette and you're well on your way to multiple levels on a job for a couple hours worth of work.

Completing 9 objectives in your Wondrous Tails book is worth 50% of a level.

Palace of the Dead from 1-60 and Heaven-on-High 61-70 is also great experience and good way to check out how a job plays. 71-80 consider unlocking The Southern Bozjan Front once you hit 80, it's super good XP for your alternate jobs once you get access to it.

Side Quests, once you get to Stormblood, scale with level, so it's not bad XP.

Oh, and Beast Tribe Quests always scale to level and are great XP too because you can only do a max of 12 per day.

The only roulette's I've played around with so far are the levelling and dungeon, but I'll look at the others. I'm fairly certain there are some I haven't unlocked yet. It can be hard to figure out which out of the sea of blue exclamation marks are worth doing. I watched a video on it by Zepla which was helpful though. Almost at the end of the MSQ for Stormblood, minus the patch missions, so my next task will be running around and unlocking flying in all the Stormblood zones.

I've also unlocked the golden saucer recently. Very easy to see how that could absolutely consume your playing time, and I fully intend to at least get the giant turtle mount.

It seems like FFXIV is in a bit of a lull at the moment being towards the end of an expansion, so what games are most unrepentant gamers focusing on those days?

Top Bottom