PDA

View Full Version : Nathan Blackmer's Application for Champions Online

Nathan Blackmer
01-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Which game(s) are you joining us in? I'd like to join you fine folks in Champions Online, so that we might champion together.

Are you over 18? (you must be 18+ to apply) I am that magical, nubile age of 27, though my fiance tells me I'm at the mental level of you're average 6th grader, so....

Are you a member of any other guild in that game? No, I'm not. I have been playing with some friends in the local area and leveling, and hadn't so much needed a guild. Actually, I haven't seen a lot of guild activity in Champions, which is a little saddening as I enjoy the social aspect of gaming.

What is the name of the character(s) you intend to join with? My character is Resurgence@nathanblackmer .

Do you have friends or family in the guild? If so what is their forum name? I have a friend that is definitely interested in joining and I think is filling out an application (SpecialShot@Inierar), but no, no one that's in the guild

Did you read our charter and rules? Which rules translation was your favorite? Definitely the Scottish one. I feel that there should be a redneck translation "None of dat der stealing mah kills, idjit...."

Do you have an issue using Ventrilo? (Being able to at least listen is critical for active participation in PvP/raids) No, no problem. I've never used it, but I'm sure I can figure it out and the friend I mentioned above has used ventrillo before.

Answer the following 4 questions. PROTIP: if your answer is shorter than the question, we will make fun of you for being boring.
1. Tell us the story of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing thing you've ever done: I once had my ass kicked by an automated bathroom. Now, it's worth mentioning that I grew up in rural Vermont and I was 15 at the time. We were on a trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Arts. I will indulge in further detail after imbibing spirits, and on Vent. Suffice it to say that I was burned, bruised, and almost knocked unconscious.... essentially by myself.
2. What is your Zombie Plan? My zombie plan involves "A man for all seasons" being played (LOUD) in an indoor sporting arena. I'm standing in the middle of the arena with barrels of marbles spread about me, a baseball bat, and a grin. Aside from that, I'm in North Dakota and I'm in the military... I head to the base, rob the armory and laugh as zombies cannot survive the frigid -40 (pre wind chill) winter temperature.
3. Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming: I have beaten cancer. Seriously. Made it my bitch.
4. If you were us, why would you vote you into The U? I'm unique, sociable, and most importantly....sultry. No I'm a good intended smart-ass.

Quick survey! We will totally judge you by the answers you give below:
Favorite Type of Music: Blues or Funk.
Favorite Movie: Unforgiven or Sin City.
Favorite Book: Wizards First Rule or Starship Troopers
Favorite Non MMO Game: Either Final Fantasy 7 or Chrono Trigger.... but the best I've played in recent months was Arkham Asylum.

Arual
01-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Good start :D

Now in regards to the Redneck translation, writing one up yourself and submitting it to us will win you brownie points, and who doesn't like brownies?

Some things do need a little elaboration. I am very curious as to how the bathroom kicked your ass...
Yes I know you'd go over it in vent, but seeing as how between work and sleep I won't have a chance to pop into vent until Friday, well curiosity is getting the better of me and I don't think I can wait that long...

Take a moment and try reading through some of the accepted (http://www.unrepentantgaming.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=14) and rejected (http://www.unrepentantgaming.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=27) applications, as well as this thread (http://www.unrepentantgaming.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1718) to get an idea of what the application process looks like.
Basically we're trying to get to know you (while giving you a chance to get to know us).

If you haven't done so already don't forget to chat us up in game in the WildCards channel, and keep active in your application thread.

Looking forward to seeing more of you.

Nathan Blackmer
01-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Alright I'd hoped to wait until I was properly... bolstered with liquid courage, but here goes....

When I was 15 my art history teacher ( I tiny, misshapen troll of a woman with a mop of shock-white hair on the top of her bouncy little head) decided that it was high time to get us backwoods country rubes(tm) out of the classroom and into the culture of art a bit. I'd never seen a real city before and thought that it would help to expand my horizons, and be good to see... well, something aside from forest and mountain.

So we boarded the bus bound for the Met in New York City. I cannot express in strong enough terminology just HOW green I was at this point in my life. Suffice it to say, I was AWESTRUCK with the city. So awestruck in fact that I had failed to use the bathroom at the last stop, and with a bladder aching like a 4 year olds who's had too much kool-aid, I entered the Met and waddled up to the wrinkled, dusty old desk-hag at the first counter I could find.

Translating poorly from Vermontesian (my native tongue) I grunted "Bath....ROOM!?" she pushed her gaudy glasses up onto her abnormally long (Debergerac-esque even) nose and with a shake of her grey hair and a scowl, proceeded to rattle off a LONG list of landmarks to aid me in my mecca to the room of bath.

(Take note - we only remember things THIS well when horrible things happen to us.)

I caught something about the Egyptian Display and taking a left and waddled off, bladder positively ACHING. I had to pee, I had to pee so bad I was SQUINTING. Finally, recognizing a cop from the black and white TV I huddled about with my mother in the trailer I lived in at the time (I sincerely wish this was hyperbole) I begged, with eyes as wide as I could make while squinting and walking like Michael Jackson so I didn't erupt "Bathroom, please, sir...?"

In typical New Yorker style, he pointed straight up. To the sign that said Bathroom. Directly above his head.

I was beyond shame. My loins were taught, a knotted lump of liquid anger that subdued my conscience mind, rendering me a lizard-like, primordial beast in need of a good pissing. I bolted into the room, unzipped, and let loose the hounds of.... well I peed, you get it.

I finished, sanity restored. I looked up at the shiny bit of metal on the top of the urinal. Something was awry. Where normally a metal lever rested for activating the flushing mechanism... there was nothing. In fact, there was only a tiny black spot on the front of the piece the lever should go to. Desperate I groped the metal, looking for a button, a switch, anything. Why it was so big of a deal to flush has been lost somewhere in the darkness of my 15 year old self, but desperate I was. So desperate that I failed to note until that VERY moment then everyone in the bathroom was staring at me. Muttering.

Nervous in a manner that only 15 year olds can truly manage, driven my the mutterings and looks, I stepped away from the urinal. A magical thing happened.... it flushed. A sudden flash of recognition as synapses fired in what little grey matter I have... a Motion Sensor!!!! Egads, I'd read about this in my Science Fiction books! I stepped away, and looked to the sink.... no knobs.

No knobs? NO PROBLEM! Confidently, I thrust my tender young hand under the faucet head, relying on myriad wonders of science to bring forth water. Quick to punish confidence, irony intervened. What came out of that faucet was not normal. What came out of that faucet was not kind. What came out of that faucet was a gout of the hottest water I have ever had the displeasure of being partially immersed in. A short, surprised yelp of pain and the concentrated, almost fearful gaze of EVERYONE in a VERY busy bathroom. I turned a shade of red normally reserved for fire trucks and brick walls while listening to comments like (maybe he's had one too many.... should we get the cop?)

It was then that I saw my one hope, my saving grace on this doomed trip to relieve myself. The Paper Towel dispenser was one of those old style (normal to me then) types with the rotating knob on the side. I turned it, humbly, so that I might get some paper with which to dry my burned, aching hand, and quickly disposed of it.

Eyes down I turned to the left, humiliated, defeated, and in a desperate rush to leave. I walked forward, halted. I'd come in from the right. I knew I had, but there appeared to be an exit to the left. I didn't want to see the cop, so I turned to the left, and walked (head still lowered in shame).....

SKULL FIRST INTO A FLOOR TO CEILING MIRROR.

...knocking myself unconscious for a moment.

...The policeman returned me to my group. And that was the story of how Nathan Blackmer had his ass kicked by an automated bathroom.

Arual
01-30-2011, 12:34 PM
:shock:

Okay that was awesome, you have made my day better by sharing this. With responses like these I may not get any work done today :lol:

Nathan Blackmer
01-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Thank you kindly. It's not the most endearing memory, but it's definitely burned, bashed, and embarrassed its way into my brain.

PlagueChain
01-30-2011, 01:39 PM
That story made my day. I hate those pesky mirrors.

+1 for "Debergerac-esque".

Keep chatting us up here, we'll have the hi-fallutin' techno-e-society version of a beer and piss about old times.

Also, /channel_join Wildcards in game if you haven't already.

Nathan Blackmer
01-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Yeah no problem.

I'm currently logged on with Emy-G (character based on my fiance) I'll say hullo. Just hanging out and listening to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia while leveling.

I'll work on the redneck version of the rules tomorrow I'm thinking.

So I'm telling you all stuff, what about you guys/gals? Where are you from, how old are you, what do you do?

Mad Larkin
01-30-2011, 03:21 PM
very funny story, just the zombit pan could use expanding,

sidenote, your going nowhere near my kitchen or bathroom, both of which use automatic and "Scifi esque" items like touch sensitive controls and motion sensitive faucets, id rather not have a claim on my insurance for injurys sustained while taking a leak

ChefBourdain
01-30-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm currently logged on with Emy-G (character based on my fiance)
Your fiancee has super powers? I want to know more! :D

So I'm telling you all stuff, what about you guys/gals? Where are you from, how old are you, what do you do?
Well, Nathan Blackmer, I can't tell you about everyone, but speaking for myself I am a lame, 36 year old balding white guy who might be described as a love child of Moby and Bob Saget*. I'm from the Detroit area and working on getting engaged myself, to a woman. I design lithium ion battery systems, primarily for military and surveillance applications (I <3 your tax dollars).
I am eating pizza bagels and drinking a Southern Tier Brewing Company Hop Sun summer wheat beer as I write this. Craft beer FTW! I wear briefs, but I prefer colored briefs to the classic whitey-tighties.

My interests include long walks on the beach, Asian-European fusion cuisine, and being peed on by vinyl-clad midgets. Also, being ball-gagged and whipped by said midgets. I could go for some midget right now, ohhh yeah

*It's not a good look, I wouldn't recommend it.

Now, for my bonus round questions...
1. If you had super powers in real life, what powers would you want, and would you be a hero or a villain?
2. Favorite beer / adult beverage? Or do you watch what you eat/drink what with the whole survivng cancer thing? Gratz by the way on that point.

Nathan Blackmer
01-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Well now, that was larval Nathan. I've since grown, become more worldly, and even learned to use one of them there computation machines. Ha, I promise, in the unlikely event of my visiting your kitchen, that I will in no way shape or form harm myself on your appliances, or while taking a leak.

Alright the Zombie Plan

I've been thinking it over, and I think I'd want to dress up like Casey Jones from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Anyway, going back to my explanation - the first part is my Last stand. I don't know why but that's always where my head goes with this topic.

If the zombies are the lumbering, braaaiiiiiiiiinnnssss type I'd want to be in an enclosed place with lots of marbles. I mean THOUSANDS of marbles (an indoor arena would be good for this) because they would slip on the marbles (being low dex critters and only getting a standard action every round, and yes you're a dork if you got that) and I could brain them with a hammer. "A Man for All Seasons" is just a favorite song of mine, but feel free to substitute out for "Discipline" by NIN, "Prayer of the Refuge" by Rise Against, Richard Cheese's version of "Down with the Sickness", Otis Taylor's "Ten Million Slaves" or maybe Stevie Wonders "Superstition" you pick.

In a last stand against Rage fast zombies I'd want elevation and a choke point. Somewhere that the bodies of the fallen would slow their advance. I'd prefer riot gear as it's what I'm comfortable in when dealing with crowds, but I think I'd rather have a hammer/bat and a riot shield. Bull rush the initial one down the access point to the elevated areas, and hopefully he'll damage the others on his way down, a wounded leg would still slow them down. Again I'd want Marbles (zombies don't look where they're going)

The trick would be finding the right balance with a melee weapon. You need something sturdy and light, probably a short-hafted aluminum bat would be the best bet.

Anyway, IRL I'm in the United States Air Force in frigid, colllllld North Dakota. In the event of a legitimate outbreak I'd load my dog, my lady, and my father into my car and head for the base. I'm pretty sure the cold would end anything trying to shamble up here (Ice crystals damage the brain, they do) and I'm handy enough with most of the guns in the armory for it to be a good place to hunker down. Also we have unmanned surveillance craft up here so monitoring the situation would be easier then it might be else-where.

Nathan Blackmer
01-30-2011, 04:05 PM
My fiance does indeed have super powers, mostly involving a gorgeous singing voice and the ability to put up with my crap.

Your description had me in stitches. At least you'd be funny, filthy, and talented.

I'm a briefs guy in a fight, boxers for lounging about the house. Yes, there's a difference.

I hope the battery shtick is lucrative, the government can be a PAIN to deal with financially.

I mean, assuming you're going to be peed on, ball gagged, and whipped by midgets, they SHOULD be clad in vinyl. Personally I'd prefer one of them to be in a shark suit, but to each there own of course.

AND NOW THE EXCITING BONUS ROUND!!!!

Super Powers

Oh boy I'm an enormous comic book fan. I think the best super power would have to be Luck. Nothing could kill you. No enemy could ever defeat you. No woman would leave you without it being advantageous, arguably a solution to aging would occur around your physical peak. Larry Niven's Ringworld tackled this well. Seriously, just being stupid lucky would be awesome.

I think the power that would suit me the best would be Invulnerability. Just the idea of being relentlessly tough is fascinating to me and I think it'd be amazing (especially if it came with some super strength as a garnish)

I have a goofy answer for this as well, which has come up a time or two with my local gaming group... I'd like the ability to spontaneously generate monkeys with diarrhea in peoples cars. Cut me off will you... THREEE MOOONKEYSS!

Frankly, the answer to whether or not I'd be a super hero depends. In a world where I'm not the only one I'd like to believe I'd be heroic. In a world where it's JUST invincible, Super Strong me? I don't know that anyone could handle that kind of power without trying to get involved, and I'm not sure what the outcome of that would be. In short - I'd be good intended no matter what. Unless my power is the monkey one, then it's Dr.Horribles Sing along blog + diarrhea monkeys.

Favorite Beer - Hard to pick. I do thoroughly enjoy beer. Not a lot at one setting (most of the time) I like Long Hammer quite a bit, beyond that I'm a fan of a lot of the New England micro-breweries (Magic Hat/long trail in particular.) I get out to Seattle from time to time (where the fiance is from) and they have some wonderful beer as well.

Thanks for that last bit, too.

JudgeBot
01-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Micro brew lover here too. As for the big guys, I stick to Avery and Dogfishhead mostly.
Golden Monkey ...not sure who brews that, but the alcohol content alone makes it my friend.
Oh and Aqua Velva...I could drink that all day, especially the Sport.

ChefBourdain
01-30-2011, 04:43 PM
Oh and Aqua Velva...I could drink that all day, especially the Sport.
Protip: do not apply Aqua Velva to your freshly-shaved genitals. Trust the Chef on this one. :o

Zandar1
01-30-2011, 04:55 PM
This guy?

This guy is full of win. Look us up in-game on the Wildcards channel. :thumbup:

Nathan Blackmer
01-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Why thank ya, sorry I had to run on you guys, my fiance was going to eat the neighbors children. I swear...

We should meet up and do something at some point. I'd like to party with you guys a bit!

Mad Larkin
01-30-2011, 06:08 PM
its refreshing to see such an enthusiastic applicant, its been a while since ones been so .. energectic. i can also relate to having partners with super powers, putting up with my crap is my other halfs cheif power. there is also a kindred in us, i have also just recently beaten cancer, in remission for 4 months so far, and no signs that its comming back. im Ex Royal Marines (medical discharge, honourable retirement with benefits), and a student psychologist.

im a Brit, 26 and dont drink as much as i should, (cancer meds and other stuff prevent me from having more than the occasional odd drink)

i am curious, have you suffered an iraq deployment? also what pranks on your CO's have you played, or on fellow servicemen, pranks funny war time stories, have a few of my own im yet to tell, which i may grace the guild with.

also someone id grace with my presence in a pub to get rat-arsed

JudgeBot
01-31-2011, 05:16 AM
Saw him in game, and I think he was bustin' my chops for being a drunkie....I am not sure where he gets that...

[youtube:2ijiilfi]WtGPTWODXUs[/youtube:2ijiilfi]

At any rate, he seems pretty cool. :) His handle in game is way long....the ladies must like that.
So much quality running our way. It's only a matter of time before we get an epic melt-down.

Mod
01-31-2011, 05:57 AM
Also very helpful and active in chat, which is always a plus.

artemisalpha
01-31-2011, 06:21 AM
It's survey judging time! I started this thread with a bit of apprehension, but I see now that Nathan's firmly grasped the U with both hands. Hm. I think I need to work on that metaphor.

Quick survey! We will totally judge you by the answers you give below:
Favorite Type of Music: Blues or Funk.

Normally, when people just give a type of music, I mercilessly berate them. What can you really tell about somebody who says that they like rock? But this... when a man says that he likes Funk, you don't have to ask if he likes James Brown and George Clinton - you know he does. So, have you gotten many chances to see live Blues or Funk acts?

Favorite Movie: Unforgiven or Sin City.

On the surface you can see some similarities between those two movies, but in many ways they're more different than alike. What about them appeals to you, and more than that, appeals to you so much that they rose to be your favorite films?

Favorite Book: Wizards First Rule or Starship Troopers

I've read Starship Troopers, but it's been... *cough*... a few more years than I think I'd like to admit. Wow, I hadn't realized it'd been that long until just now. I've heard good things about Wizard's First Rule, but I haven't read it myself. In you're eyes, what's awesome about it?

Favorite Non MMO Game: Either Final Fantasy 7 or Chrono Trigger.... but the best I've played in recent months was Arkham Asylum.

Very nice choices - I'm glad that you mentioned liking Arkham Asylum, or I'd have had to razz you about your favorites being, in gamer terms, hoary callbacks to a fondly remembered, but ancient past. But, you mentioned the goodness that is Arkham Asylum, so I shan't go about treating you like you said that you had Pac Man Fever. Much.

Nathan Blackmer
01-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Also very helpful and active in chat, which is always a plus.

hey you must be mod@mod. Sexy handle you got there....

JudgeBot
01-31-2011, 03:26 PM
hey you must be mod@mod. Sexy handle you got there....

Lady Godiva was a freedom rider
She didn't care if the whole world looked.
Joan of Arc, with the Lord to guide her
She was a sister who really cooked.

Isadora was the first bra burner
Ain't ya glad she showed up. (Oh yeah)
And when the country was falling apart
Betsy Ross got it all sewed up.

And then there's Mod.
And then there's Mod.
And then there's Mod.
And then there's Mod.
And then there's Mod.
And then there's Mod.
And then there's..........

That uncompromisin', enterprisin', anything but tranquilizing,
Right on Mod.

[youtube:2qn9k56g]g9NY8R-LmIw[/youtube:2qn9k56g]

Zandar1
01-31-2011, 03:56 PM
I like the cut of this man's jib.

A keeper.

I vote YES. :thumbup:

Nathan Blackmer
01-31-2011, 04:06 PM
Music

I'm a HUGE music fan. I listen to anything I can find, at least a time or two, and as such I have pretty weird/eclectic tastes. But I listed Blues and Funk because they are my two all-time favorite genre's of music. Loosely affiliated to Funk because they're hard to pin down... Gorillaz. Any discussion of my musical tastes would be wholly incomplete without mentioning the Gorillaz. I love them, almost everything they've ever made, but particularly Don't Get Lost in Heaven, November Has Come, hell the entire Demon Days Album.

Blues

I don't think any other kind of music speaks to me like blues. I'm a huge fan of Bill Withers, John Lee Hooker, B.B. King, Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, you name it. Some of Hendrix's stuff (Particular Red House). Something about it just resonates with me.

Funk

I have actually NEVER been to a concert (bad on me, I know... things just get in the way) But I gotta tell you I love me some Funk. Great morning music to kick-start your day. Big Stevie Wonder fan myself. James Brown and the Famous Flames... Earth Wind and Fire. Early Jackson. Check it out if you haven't, it'll force feed your head a bit o' rhythm.

Movies

This was a hard category for me too, I love me some movies. I'm not snobby about my movies, I just like quite a bit.

Unforgiven

Unforgiven is my default favorite movie... Clint Eastwood in what I consider to be his finest role. Unforgiven is a movie about the depths of the heart, and helped to break many of the tropes in the Western genre. It discarded the careless violence and bravado of its contemporaries and told a telling story about a man who gave up a dark life for love being forced back into his sordid past. Beyond just being an amazing movie, it has a wonderful cast. Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, and Morgan Freeman.

I think the thing that gets me, every time is the bit at the end as William Munny is leaving the bar after gunning down everyone in it. You realize that he's a little bit monstrous, but he yells out something to the effect of "I'm coming out, and anyone that gets in my way I'm gonna kill. Them and their family too." That's the first time you see the real him in my eyes, and it's NOT pretty but you kind of love him for it, too.

Sin City

Alright, SIN CITY! Wooo! Unforgiven if Unforgiven is my default, then Sin City is my guilty favorite. Actually, it's not even the whole movie that get me going, it's (to a lesser degree) the Bruce Willis bits (because how can you NOT love bruce willis...) but mostly it's Mickey Rourke as Marv. I feel like Marv is a very kindred spirit to me, I'm just not larger then life and bullet proof. He actually reminds me of my grandfather quite a bit... but getting back to the movie, Marv lives, and is happy to die for, his ideals. It's his convictions that drive him, and his willingness to hold onto them, white-knuckled and howling laughter through the gates of hell, that makes me love him/

Literature

I like me some books, too. I mostly read comics these days (Fables, The Goon, Most of Marvel) but a good book is an amazing thing. I left it off the list, but I have to mention It. I read It, skeptically, a few years ago but that was one of the better books I've ever read.

Starship Troopers

The finest book on military philosophy that I've ever read, and the literal reason that I was inspired to join the military....

Wizard's First Rule

Wizards First Rule is my all time favorite book. It's the character development that gets me, and the author's well thought out and expressed philosophy that drives the story. It's got an amazing romance between the two main characters (neither of whom are a tool, which is rare...) the best wizard I've ever read (Zedd!) and most importantly, the scariest bad guy I've EVER read of in Darken Rahl. Check it out sometime and you'll see what I mean. It weighs in at roughly 1000 pages, and has 9 sequels, but you could leave off at the second book and be VERY satisfied.

Non-Glory Days Games

Alright, I love the older games, what can I say it's what I grew up doing. For the last few years I've really enjoyed the following;

Deadspace
Batman, Arkham Asylum
Monster Hunter Tri
Halo : Reach
Final Fantasy XII. (XII pissed me off. A bunch of middle aged angry matriarchs and the only good male character is a nine year old simpering boomerang throwing twerp. )
Limbo
Fat Princess
Zone of the Enders 2 (PS2 game but DAMN good)
Valkyria Chronicles
Fallout 3 and New Vegas
Bayonetta (SO MUCH DANCING)
Litte Big Planet
Red Dead Redemption
Mass Effect (just the first one, didn't care for the second...I know, I'm wierd)
Dragon Age
and depressingly more....

Also, and I hate to admit this, I have a weekly Pathfinder Game going (read - Dungeons and Dragons) that I write and run.

(Oh and Mod, that was great)

I vote yes as well, if it counts for anything.

Niralica
01-31-2011, 05:44 PM
Jagang was much scarier than Darken Rahl. :P

Arual
01-31-2011, 06:44 PM
Loving this application! I'm going to vote yes as well :mrgreen:

artemisalpha
02-01-2011, 06:18 AM
Nathan was like channel Batman last night. While in the midst of fixing (getting? the judges are unclear) food for his wife, he'd swing in and answer questions. Pow! This is where that thing you're looking for is. Biff! This is how you do that. Bam! You should try this.

I didn't get to see him long, because he was being johnny on the spot while I was just about on my way out, but I obviously liked what I saw. :D

JudgeBot
02-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Superman vs. Captain Marvel (DC's Shazam!)
Who wins?
Why?

http://www.supermantv.net/wallpaperbattles/shazam/supermanvsshazam_th.jpg

Jeremy Becker
02-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Who wins?
Why?

Bad idea, getting him going on comic books super heroes could be a scary experience :D best buckle yourself in for a long ride.

Nathan Blackmer
02-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Who wins?
Why?

*pulls out a stool*

*sits*

*looks at you with deep, meaningful eyes*

I used to frequent a hypothetical comic book vs board. It was a dark time in my life.

You know it really depends on several factors;

1. Setting
2. Are we allowing in-character stupidity
3. Motivation
4. What version of each character
5. Prep time?

But, so as not to be coy... I'm going to be honest, I'm a MUCH bigger fan of Captain Marvel then I am of Superman. Maybe it's the fact that he's different, maybe it's because his powers don't seem to fluctuate as much, I'm not sure. If you want my opinion on which one is BETTER, I choose Captain Marvel.

...unfortunately, Superman would whup him. Hard. Superman has lifted weights in the hundreds of billions of tons, Is as fast as the flash (depending on where in the time-line we are) and has, no joke, SPUN BLACK HOLES AT ENEMIES. With his frikkin' HANDS. And that's the core of why I really can't take much superman/flash. They CONSTANTLY increase the power level, then have to retcon to roll it all back, and it begins again.... Also, why does Superman have to be the best at... EVERYTHING!?!??! Shazam is so much more interesting to me, but again I was always more of a marvel fan then a DC fan.

I will be on in an hour or so, I need to run out with the fiance and pick up Dead Space 2 (me) Little Big Planet (her....me too, but more her).

Like Superman's ridiculousness, I will most assuredly RETURN!

Edit -- No store run, I'll be...RIGHT HERE!

Nathan Blackmer
02-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Nathan was like channel Batman last night. While in the midst of fixing (getting? the judges are unclear) food for his wife, he'd swing in and answer questions. Pow! This is where that thing you're looking for is. Biff! This is how you do that. Bam! You should try this.

I didn't get to see him long, because he was being johnny on the spot while I was just about on my way out, but I obviously liked what I saw. :D

If I don't feed her, she'll eat another of the neighbours children. We are STILL LOCKED IN LITIGATION AFTER THE LAST ONE!

....it's a problem.

(She's an absolute doll and incredibly talented, I'll put up some pic's of us at some point. And my Miniature Schnauzer Dr. Watson Theodore Freedman)

JudgeBot
02-01-2011, 03:28 PM
I happen to run a very old if rarely updated comicbook vs. forum..but I broke the forum.

Have you ever been to UltimateBattles.com? That's me.

Any way.....
If you can temper the emotional investment of the writer, and go with straight golden age powers,
Captain Marvel would mop the floor with him. SHAZAM! **magic lightning**
"Oh fuck..." said the man of steel...
"SHAZAM!"
"fuck me in snagrif ass**
"SHAZAM!"
"......."

http://www.tu-pc.com/fondos/media/1334.jpg

You are correct though...the worse the writing of a character the more unbeatable they are in their own stories. And that's why Dragon Ball Z sucks so hard.....

http://stange-chalkboard.wikispaces.com/file/view/goku-vs-superman.jpg

Arual
02-01-2011, 04:05 PM
But, so as not to be coy... I'm going to be honest, I'm a MUCH bigger fan of Captain Marvel then I am of Superman. Maybe it's the fact that he's different, maybe it's because his powers don't seem to fluctuate as much, I'm not sure. If you want my opinion on which one is BETTER, I choose Captain Marvel.

...unfortunately, Superman would whup him. Hard. Superman has lifted weights in the hundreds of billions of tons, Is as fast as the flash (depending on where in the time-line we are) and has, no joke, SPUN BLACK HOLES AT ENEMIES. With his frikkin' HANDS. And that's the core of why I really can't take much superman/flash. They CONSTANTLY increase the power level, then have to retcon to roll it all back, and it begins again.... Also, why does Superman have to be the best at... EVERYTHING!?!??! Shazam is so much more interesting to me, but again I was always more of a marvel fan then a DC fan.

You forgot to mention that Superman is a dick (http://superdickery.com/index.php?Itemid=45&id=28&layout=blog&option=com_content&view=category) :P

Nathan Blackmer
02-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Your darn right he is.

It's always convenient how (in the comics) his invulnerability (which SHOULDN'T WORK AGAINST MAGIC) still applies. One punch from Captain Marvel, or the Juggernaut, or one blow from Mjolnir SHOULD kill him. I get very heated on these debates, but if you pull character based stupidity out of it, Superman is so fast that he should be able to turn Captain Marvels body into a fine red mist in about 5 seconds.

That goku superman pic.... oh no, never again. I spent literally 2 years arguing that on GaiaOnline a LONNNG time ago.

In other news, my computer is having SERIOUS issues running Champions Online. I updated the RAM, got Windows 7, cleared and installed new drivers, and my GeForce 9800 GT video card is just not doing it's job. It's weird....

JudgeBot
02-01-2011, 04:19 PM
I have three 9800's in three-way SLI on my box.
The 9800 should be fine. My game laptop has 2x ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 - 1GB - CrossFire Mode

But THIS laptop has one NVIDA Quadro NVS 160M PoS and plays Champions just fine. I mean everyone looks like a crash test dummy, but it doesn't crash game or anything.

PlagueChain
02-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Yes.

Good lord 'n' gravy.

JudgeBot
02-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Your darn right he is.

I get very heated on these debates, but if you pull character based stupidity out of it, Superman is so fast that he should be able to turn Captain Marvels body into a fine red mist in about 5 seconds. ...

No...base Superman powers ... Golden age, he may be faster than flash, but flash was sonic not light at the time (Golden age). And Cap has demonstrated not only that, but can move through dimensions as well.

I was really starting to like you then you had to go and be a tool.
LOL
Kidding of course. I never liked you. :)

Welcome to the team. :2finger: