PDA

View Full Version : How many copyright laws did they break?

Grimztone
01-26-2010, 07:42 AM
Actually this commercial for Direct TV (spanish?) is pretty awesome. Let's see how many copyright laws were broken. i'm thinking 4.

[youtube:198q2bsz]7OXGTfOPN0k[/youtube:198q2bsz]

KreepyKritter
01-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Fair Use (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html) and Parody (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use#Fair_use_and_parody) Act of 1976.

You're welcome.

Also, as it's being exclusively shown outside the US, it would depend on the nature of the copyright in the countries it's being shown to.

Arual
01-26-2010, 01:14 PM
I know the SPACE channel does similar commmercials throughout the year, there never seems to be issues. But I think some things are a little more relaxed up here :P

[youtube:yjyxondk]86qq8i1i0TQ[/youtube:yjyxondk]
[youtube:yjyxondk]QZA5I3K-uFM[/youtube:yjyxondk]

Fosco
01-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Would this be trademark or copyright? Trademark i think... And it would depend on whether they paid to use the image either way.

Grimztone
01-26-2010, 01:47 PM
regardless. i thought it was funny.

huntgod
01-26-2010, 02:15 PM
In general you have to show "harm" by use. If the owned of the trademarked material (and this is a trademark issue) can show that the user is damaging the value of the intellectual property by his use of that material then they can stop or claim damages from use.

In all of these examples not only does the use not cause "harm" to the property, they also more than likely had tacit approval for use of the images and likenesses as part of a larger agreement.

Of course you can litigate over anything, the question becomes how strongly you want to pursue or fight the litigation in question.

Litigious extortion is a problem in our court's right now, not sure how to fix it, but I have been the victim of it and it sucks if the law in question does not give specific provision for seeking recourse against the plaintiff to recoup costs for fighting a bullshit litigation. On a lighter note, my case is currently resulting in the law being rewritten, not that that does jack shit to offset the $50,000 and change that it cost me to protect my rights and now hopefully everyone elses.

Narfington
01-26-2010, 02:40 PM
In general you have to show "harm" by use. If the owned of the trademarked material (and this is a trademark issue) can show that the user is damaging the value of the intellectual property by his use of that material then they can stop or claim damages from use.

In all of these examples not only does the use not cause "harm" to the property, they also more than likely had tacit approval for use of the images and likenesses as part of a larger agreement.

Of course you can litigate over anything, the question becomes how strongly you want to pursue or fight the litigation in question.

Litigious extortion is a problem in our court's right now, not sure how to fix it, but I have been the victim of it and it sucks if the law in question does not give specific provision for seeking recourse against the plaintiff to recoup costs for fighting a bullshit litigation. On a lighter note, my case is currently resulting in the law being rewritten, not that that does jack shit to offset the $50,000 and change that it cost me to protect my rights and now hopefully everyone elses.

Damn man, that sucks. Thats why one of the things about the US I hate, people sue over every-fucking-thing.

KreepyKritter
01-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Thats ... one of the things about [s:1suaghy3]the US[/s:1suaghy3] People I hate, people sue over every-fucking-thing.

Fixed.

Kaspar
01-26-2010, 03:19 PM
I never used to believe those stories about buglers tripping over something in a house they were robbing and suing the owner until I took a couple of law classes and learned that if you can afford a good enough lawyer you can sue anyone for pretty much anything.

Narfington
01-26-2010, 05:49 PM
I never used to believe those stories about buglers tripping over something in a house they were robbing and suing the owner until I took a couple of law classes and learned that if you can afford a good enough lawyer you can sue anyone for pretty much anything.

Yes, its amazing what you can do with the legal system. Texas has a particularly fucked up court system. I took a texas politics class when I was still in college. The professor who taught the class used to be a lawyer and he told a story about a guy on trial for murder and his lawyer's defense was basically "the guy needed killin", and the guy got off. I also learned in that class that if your running for a state position that is normally Democratic, the guy with the hispanic name wins, and if its a normally Republican position, the guy with the "white man" name wins.

Don't mess with Texas!

huntgod
01-26-2010, 06:42 PM

Yes, its amazing what you can do with the legal system. Texas has a particularly fucked up court system. I took a texas politics class when I was still in college. The professor who taught the class used to be a lawyer and he told a story about a guy on trial for murder and his lawyer's defense was basically "the guy needed killin", and the guy got off. I also learned in that class that if your running for a state position that is normally Democratic, the guy with the hispanic name wins, and if its a normally Republican position, the guy with the "white man" name wins.

Don't mess with Texas!

I personally support the "he needed killing" defense and wish all states would adopt it.

Rhodar
01-26-2010, 09:12 PM
hunt, you beat me to saying that! lol

Fosco
01-27-2010, 04:01 PM
There probably ought to be some sort of community consensus rule - but I guess that's what a jury is...

12d8c7a34f47c2e9d3==