View Poll Results: Would you have a drink with them? (the results have no bearing on whether they get in or not)

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: App: EarlRatliff1 - Neverwinter, STO (4/0)

Membership Application
    Are you over 18? (You must be 18+ to apply.)
    Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
    Neverwinter, STO

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with?
    Neverwinter: Mahad - STO: Earl - acct handle: @EarlRatliff1

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community? If so what is their forum name?
    No

So... let's talk! What follows are a bunch of questions that give us a sense of your personality, and give us something to talk about. If your answers are boring or short, we’ll assume you’re boring (and probably short).

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
    This'd be both dumb and embarassing, and a bit funny in the sense that it's harmless.

Some years ago, some friends of mine needed to move to a new apartment. They were also injured, so they needed help more than normal. I resolved to help em.

Things work out great in terms of getting a moving truck, loading it up, and driving to their new apartment. We get there and start unloading the stuff in it, and then I see a spiral staircase.

They hadn't told me before, but it was up four flights of this staircase. It was then that I realized I was in for a world of hurt before the day was out.

In the far end of the truck compartment was the first item I loaded: a ridiculously large and heavy sofa, probably heavier than myself. Unloading and carrying all the other stuff was easy enough, but carrying that sofa up that spiral staircase took me 20 minutes on my own, since I had to do it alone.

And then I find out that my friends aren't good with measuring tape, and mismeasured the size of the sofa. It wouldn't fit. So down the stairs I went with this ridiculous monster of a couch.

Between the idiocy of my carrying it alone, and the embarassment of having to carry it back down, I enjoyed looking my best friend in the eye and saying "fuck your lack of foresight" before passing out.

We went out for beer after I woke up. It was a good day. But I'm still calling in professional movers when I need to move.

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
    The best job I ever had was one where I worked for my old University's alumni relations department. I hated soliciting donations from them, but I loved asking them about their lives and their studies and how things've changed since they left Uni.

My worst job was one where I worked for my grandfather's former landlord. He refused to pay me above-table, but it was the only work I could land at the time. He kept his apartments in slumworthy condition, so I enjoyed reporting him to health and human services.

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
    TF2 is easy to pick up and enjoy no matter how long of a break I take from it.
    Sonic 3 and Super Mario World were two favorites from my childhood, so I've got good memories from both.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
    Sometimes I help local hobby stores run boardgame and tabletop gaming events, and sometimes I help KONAMI run collectible card game events too.

I was doing the latter one day at a hobby shop, and a kid I'd never seen before signed up for the day's tournament. He lost his first match of the day, and called his opponent a nigger five times in fifteen seconds while bitching about the loss. I had a lot of fun throwing him out of the shop.

By fun I mean aggravation, naturally. It was the most juvenile nonsense I'd seen in a long time.

Shop and game policy alike hold that such conduct is grounds for removal: I don't know if the kid was ever suspended from all events for that game, but it wouldn't surprise me if he eventually was.

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
    I have a fantastic afro. Friends sometimes compare me to Questlove and Cornel West.

I also study philosophy, political science, and civil rights.

http://i.imgur.com/eWUGP0u.jpg

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
    You guys care enough about ensuring a quality environment that you are willing to take open applications (thereby fostering openness and welcoming attitudes), while also being exclusive (thereby preventing membership of people who aren't open or aren't welcoming). It's a successful and reasonable attitude to take.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
    What's the history of UG?

Almost done!

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
    He hands me an ancient, magical artifact with powers both benevolent and horrifying, because this is a ridiculous fantasy pastiche, ripe with potential for affectionately parodying countless beloved tropes.

Welcome to the app. process!! Lot's to chew on here. Should get some nice responses!

I had a couch incident myself. Bought a new couch with no Idea how hard it was to go up one flight of stairs. Eventually a delivery person came along and saw my dilemma and helped me out.

Sonic 3 was one of my favorites. Super Mario might have been except I had a rivalry with a friend Sega or Nintendo, which was the best? In the end we never agreed but its clear Nintendo is the superior gaming company as Sega is only a shadow of what it once was! If only Nintendo could figure out to stop making consoles and make games for the Sony and Microsoft systems and concentrate on dominating portable they could make so much more money!!

If you play STO what is your main faction? Fed KDF or Rom?
    Last edited by STYXTRIBE; 12-17-2016 at 03:29 PM.

Hi and welcome to the app process.
    I'm sure someone more Ufficial will be around shortly to explain how this all works. For starters: Stay active both here and in game to allow people to get to know you. When you are in game join our chat channels, say hello and mention your app. Channels are Sexytime for STO and Uey for Neverwinter.

And yes, that is a great afro.

Now, let's get these question out of the way right at the start: (You're applying for STO, they're bound to pop up)
    Are you a trekkie?
    Who is your favorite Star Trek captain?

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds huntgod's Avatar
    Was hoping for more like a Reggie Watts...watched his special on Netflix the other night and was highly entertaining. Had no clue he was 44...

"I'd rather watch a man masturbate than watch Cricket..." - HuntGod

Heyas Earl!!

Lets give the run-down on the application process, because it is the one thing we do take all serious.

First, get a guild invite.

type in /channel_join Uey , and announce yourself as an applicant. Also mention you need a guild invite. One will be give to you, and you join as a recruit.

Uey is our custom chat channel.

Second, encourage members in Uey channel to swing by and comment/throw rottten veggies /etc.

Thirdly, and this could take up to a couple of weeks, people will fill you app with comments/etc. Based on those comments some votes will be posted in your application.

• 4 YES votes from Ufficers ( those with YELLOW names ), means is a good fit.

• 3 NO votes means just a not fit for the community.

However, while the Ufficers do the voting, it is the membership ( those with RED names ) that really determines your fate, as it were.
    Their feedback is valued highest.

Fourth item, we use Mumble as the voice-chat during games. Setup instructions are in the FAQ you may have already read. Once ready, PM someone in game, and we get you setup with the password.

Final item.. we are more than a guild in Neverwinter. We are a community spread across many games, from WoW to SWTOR to ARK to many games with a Unrepentant presence. Heck we even have a group of wayward souls in DDO. I mention this because many of the peoples who will provide feedback will not only be Neverwinter ffolkes, but players who are solemnly up to no good in other games, and interact with you in Mumble and on the forums.

Now that the compulsory provisos have been broughten..

Man, you sofa moving story brings back some bad/painful memories.

Just a few years ago, 3 or 4.. me daughter and her hubby needed help moving. Since it was a short move, like 18 miles form 1 town to another, we volunteered to help over the Thxgiving break. They live in Northern New Mexico. well, on our way out there one of these infamous plains blizzards hits.

So we spent 4 days in sub 20 deg weather and 8-10 inches of ice and snow moving them into the new house. Found myself using a set of channel-lock pliers underneath a U-Haul truck, pounding away at the ice buildup so we could get the ramp down on the UHaul. Not good times at all..

To answer your question on the history of Unrepentant, see the Link http://www.unrepentantgaming.com/for...of-Unrepentant

Now a question back to you.
    What class do you like to play?
    Myself, Gwf... plain and simple

FWIW, very nice start to th app.

Quote Originally Posted by STYXTRIBE View Post
    Welcome to the app. process!! Lot's to chew on here. Should get some nice responses!

I had a couch incident myself. Bought a new couch with no Idea how hard it was to go up one flight of stairs. Eventually a delivery person came along and saw my dilemma and helped me out.

Sonic 3 was one of my favorites. Super Mario might have been except I had a rivalry with a friend Sega or Nintendo, which was the best? In the end we never agreed but its clear Nintendo is the superior gaming company as Sega is only a shadow of what it once was! If only Nintendo could figure out to stop making consoles and make games for the Sony and Microsoft systems and concentrate on dominating portable they could make so much more money!!

If you play STO what is your main faction? Fed KDF or Rom?
    I figure Nintendo prefers being in the position of being a first-party developer, so I've no problem with their continuing to make hardware: if they get out of the hardware business, it'd be better for them to be a developer for PCs than for other console-makers. Consoles really occupy a place where they're akin to PCs that insist on not being compatible with most PC hardware, so

Honestly, I'd say Sega owes itself leaving the first-party developing role to the PS2 moreso than anything else: the choice Sony made to make their system both a system and a DVD player really helped it break into a market that other consoles couldn't reach. When you insist on your family having both a gaming system and a DVD player, and don't want to shell out for both, the natural choice is to find a machine that can provide both.

My main is Federation faction, Tactical style. I've got alts in other factions and styles, but I almost never play MMOs on characters other than my mains.

Quote Originally Posted by Korfi2go View Post
    Hi and welcome to the app process.
    I'm sure someone more Ufficial will be around shortly to explain how this all works. For starters: Stay active both here and in game to allow people to get to know you. When you are in game join our chat channels, say hello and mention your app. Channels are Sexytime for STO and Uey for Neverwinter.

And yes, that is a great afro.

Now, let's get these question out of the way right at the start: (You're applying for STO, they're bound to pop up)
    Are you a trekkie?
    Who is your favorite Star Trek captain?
    I'll be sure to give folks a means to meet me. I'm mostly in this to find a nice in-game chat to join in Neverwinter, because MMOs are worthless unless you've got people to speak with. The way I figure, you guys from UG seem a lot like the folks from RedditChat on STO, and that's what drew me to you - I'm essentially looking for a Neverwinter counterpart to that environment.

I saw some episodes of TNG when I was three, and then saw First Contact on pay-per-view when I was eight. I liked the tech, I liked the people, I liked how the franchise was ultimately just about being good to each other and doing the right thing even when it isn't easy. I don't get into the franchise too much outside of STO, but STO pushed me to go watch the other shows on Netflix. "In the Pale Moonlight" has to be one of the best episodes in the franchise.

Each captain has their merits. I don't have a favorite. They're different people in different timeframes and situations, so I guess I just appreciate them for who they are and what they are, and I could never understand why some folks online get riled up in criticizing one captain or another. I once read someone's criticism of Picard as an "ambassador with a starship", and thought to myself "tell that to the Borg he killed with a machine gun." But even then, ambassadors are cool anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by huntgod View Post
    Was hoping for more like a Reggie Watts...watched his special on Netflix the other night and was highly entertaining. Had no clue he was 44...
    I could never compare to Mr. Watts.

I will admit that it takes a certain wizened attitude to be willing to grow one's hair out, though. When I first let my hair grow during university, it did a good job of showing me how many students had very narrow standards dictating what they considered acceptable behavior by black persons.

Plenty of folks in the modern day consider it unacceptable for me to have hair like this, and are willing to pursue racially biased policy against folks like myself unless we either straighten our hair or keep it really short. This ties to something I studied at university, something called "respectability politics". Respectability politics - policies that hold it to be right for people to treat others like second-class humans until those others jump through some arbitrary and meaningless hoops - are always ugly.

Mr. Watts is a lot older than I am, so he probably had it even harder when he decided to grow his out.

Quote Originally Posted by Inconnel View Post
    Heyas Earl!!

Lets give the run-down on the application process, because it is the one thing we do take all serious.

First, get a guild invite.

type in /channel_join Uey , and announce yourself as an applicant. Also mention you need a guild invite. One will be give to you, and you join as a recruit.

Uey is our custom chat channel.

Second, encourage members in Uey channel to swing by and comment/throw rottten veggies /etc.

Thirdly, and this could take up to a couple of weeks, people will fill you app with comments/etc. Based on those comments some votes will be posted in your application.

• 4 YES votes from Ufficers ( those with YELLOW names ), means is a good fit.

• 3 NO votes means just a not fit for the community.

However, while the Ufficers do the voting, it is the membership ( those with RED names ) that really determines your fate, as it were.
    Their feedback is valued highest.

Fourth item, we use Mumble as the voice-chat during games. Setup instructions are in the FAQ you may have already read. Once ready, PM someone in game, and we get you setup with the password.

Final item.. we are more than a guild in Neverwinter. We are a community spread across many games, from WoW to SWTOR to ARK to many games with a Unrepentant presence. Heck we even have a group of wayward souls in DDO. I mention this because many of the peoples who will provide feedback will not only be Neverwinter ffolkes, but players who are solemnly up to no good in other games, and interact with you in Mumble and on the forums.

Now that the compulsory provisos have been broughten..

Man, you sofa moving story brings back some bad/painful memories.

Just a few years ago, 3 or 4.. me daughter and her hubby needed help moving. Since it was a short move, like 18 miles form 1 town to another, we volunteered to help over the Thxgiving break. They live in Northern New Mexico. well, on our way out there one of these infamous plains blizzards hits.

So we spent 4 days in sub 20 deg weather and 8-10 inches of ice and snow moving them into the new house. Found myself using a set of channel-lock pliers underneath a U-Haul truck, pounding away at the ice buildup so we could get the ramp down on the UHaul. Not good times at all..

To answer your question on the history of Unrepentant, see the Link http://www.unrepentantgaming.com/for...of-Unrepentant

Now a question back to you.
    What class do you like to play?
    Myself, Gwf... plain and simple

FWIW, very nice start to th app.

I may yet join you all in WoW someday, should I tire of my home server and home guild. How's Legion treating you all?

I appreciate the history link, it appears this community's learned from years' worth of growing pains. I can appreciate that.

I look forward to feedback from whoever wants to provide it.

I'm enjoying my new CW so far, following sharpedge's guide for an initial SS Renegade build. I don't know where to find a new Companion, though: mine just hit rank 20 and I'm wondering how essential it is for me to have one that goes beyond rank 20.

Hey there, I saw you in Uey chat yesterday. FYI, you can be in all the Cryptic custom chat channels (like Uey chat) at the same time, regardless of which game you're playing or which character you joined the channel on. It's an account wide (and Cryptic wide) thing. I like being able to chat with the STO folks while I'm in NW, or keep an eye on the NW shenanigans while I'm in STO.

RE companions: Make sure you're participating in the Winter festival and getting those coupons for the presents (use them each day, they expire). Winter Festival is an excellent opportunity to grab some decent free companions, if you're looking to expand your collection.
    I'm a mom, but I'm not your mom.

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds huntgod's Avatar
    I grew up in the 70's and 80's I honestly miss the big fro look and appreciate people rocking it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    Hey there, I saw you in Uey chat yesterday. FYI, you can be in all the Cryptic custom chat channels (like Uey chat) at the same time, regardless of which game you're playing or which character you joined the channel on. It's an account wide (and Cryptic wide) thing. I like being able to chat with the STO folks while I'm in NW, or keep an eye on the NW shenanigans while I'm in STO.

RE companions: Make sure you're participating in the Winter festival and getting those coupons for the presents (use them each day, they expire). Winter Festival is an excellent opportunity to grab some decent free companions, if you're looking to expand your collection.
    Yup, already working on it.

I'll see about modifying my chat tabs to keep NW chat stuff accessible in STO too.

Quote Originally Posted by huntgod View Post
    I grew up in the 70's and 80's I honestly miss the big fro look and appreciate people rocking it...
    Thanks! I find it to be really useful in making my appearance match my self-image.

Is there a Earlratlif2?

I have multiple toons in STO only really play about 3-4. They are all max level and come in handy for events where multiples get you a lot. Lots of Dilithium that is. And some other stuff!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast