Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Active games

My slack chat dragon now has essentially this. Obviously you've got to use slack first.

After that all you need to do is use the !iplay and !whoplays commands like so:

!iplay archeage minecraft trove
    ^- that'll update the database about what I'm playing

!whoplays minecraft
    ^- that'll get the list of everyone who's said they're playing minecraft

!playing sepoy
    ^- that'll get the list of every game sepoy's playing

Obviously only as useful as the number of people who put their info in but.. better than nothing!
    Last edited by sepoy; 11-21-2014 at 10:58 PM. Reason: forgot a command
    The only path to where you are is the one you took.

This is really neat. Thanks Sepoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    This is really neat. Thanks Sepoy.
    Thanks!

I'm just hoping people will find it useful. Always tough to get that initial critical mass for things like new chat servers or toys like my bot. We can hope though!

Blog Entries
    Should that list be limited to MMOs only?

EG, most of my (limited) game time is currently taken up by Civ:BE and DA:I.

They may not be the best examples, since they both have multiplayer options, but they'll serve until someone thinks of something more appropriate.
    EVE: Christov Olaffsson, Gallente | Amaenda Donovan, Amarr
    Camelot Unchained: Winter's Shadow (planned)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike the Red View Post
    Should that list be limited to MMOs only?
    No, please don't. List anything/everything you're playing. There's no limit to the number it can remember and no reason not to share what you're up to if you want. And, there's a new feature "!suggest game" that goes through all of the games people have said they play and suggests one for you to play. It even tells you who else is playing it.

There are a couple people with lists intended to be humorous, so you might see things like "himself" suggested, but the idea is good I swear!

Blog Entries
    we considered this in the past

the problem:

no one will keep their own info up to date. I mean when was the last time you looked at someones profile. or your own?

although after reading sepoys suggestion perhaps we can incorporate it directly from slackchat to the site... maybe i'm just being slow today sorry.
    One who commands must, of necessity, be wildly imperfect, boldly pragmatic, capable of compromises impossible for the truly wise and the truly good.

Oh... I look at people's profiles a lot (if I want to look at info like when they were last online, or send a message). And I do look at my own occasionally as well. So there!

I would keep mine up to date, but I know that's probably not the norm. Especially those who aren't so active on the forums, or switch games a lot.

Blog Entries
    Does Sepoy's dragon have a means to remove a game from the list? I am currently playing WoW again. At some point, the fire will likely die down once more and my torrid romance with my crazy mmo-ex may come to an end again. I would hate to mislead people through a list of games that have lost their luster for me.
    Juvenile forum trolls grow up to become anonymous homeowners association informants
    ~Mow your grass- don't feed the trolls~

Yeah, you just re-enter your stuff again. Each entry will overwrite the last.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    Yeah, you just re-enter your stuff again. Each entry will overwrite the last.
    Yep, this is the height of current technical sophistication

Foul, I'm not sure how you mean when you say integrate it into the boards. Personally, integrating members into slack seems like a more valuable use of time insofar as community building is concerned. That said, so long as it's not going to take me forever, I've got no problem integrating with the site in whatever ways we dream up

Also, and again, if you've any ideas for the dragon that might help support an active slack community - lemme know! I've been pretty good about implementing them and am always looking for new stuff!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast