Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Broken forum stuff we need Foul/a web admin to fix

Wait you guys fixed character limit?!?!
    FRACK YEAH!!!!
    OMFG (Oh my fracking Gorf)
    LOVING YOU WITH ALL MY HEART AND MY NAUGHTY BITS....

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Lord Laser
    Primal Rage is what happens when JB hears about an update like this after a few (too many) beers.

Blog Entries
    One who commands must, of necessity, be wildly imperfect, boldly pragmatic, capable of compromises impossible for the truly wise and the truly good.

You can see what version of PHP we're running by looking in the AdminCP (I think. I can't remember. Unrepentant was the last site I used vBulletin on for obvious reasons. They really went to shit since the last time I used them).

You can also upload a php file to the server with
    <?
    phpinfo();
    ?>

I highly doubt Shawn will downgrade PHP to 5.3 from 5.4, as that has the potential to compromise the security of the other websites he hosts on that same server... When you require things like that, you're better off getting a virtual server and spinning up your own setup, since at this point you're now requiring a specialized setup.

The bottom line with the issues we're seeing with the Editor (Blank edit boxes, and Enter not working on the newest IE on Windows 8), is that it's all related to an older version of ckeditor thats built into vbulletin. Since the dev team is working on vb5, they haven't found the need to update the vb4 code with an updated ckeditor.

You have really 4 choices to fix this issue:

1. Hire/Find someone who can update the ckeditor code in our vbulletin to the latest version that doesn't have these issues. IF your lucky, someone may have allready done the work for us, and we can just buy it off them pre-packaged. Look on vbulletin.com and vbulletin.org.

2. Upgrade to vbulletin 5. Apparently all of these issues are fixed. The theme SHOULD be able to be ported over, as there aren't a lot of template differences. Might need to work on finding or porting some of the plugins. A warning though; vbulletin 5 hasn't been taken very well by the community. It might be time to move on.

3. Consider going with a new backend instead of vbulletin (I know, it's only been a year, but new web technology is coming out every day now). vBulletin is very resource heavy, so it could be a good reason to switch. It also seems that with the corporate buyout of vbulletin by internet brands, it's support has gone to shit and alot of big sites are jumping ship over to invision power board or Xenforo. Xenforo seems to be what many people are jumping too since a few of the old school good vbulletin developers(Including the founder of vbulletin.org) are the founders of Xenforo. Xenforo is also cheaper.

4. Disable the advanced editor all together and just use the very basic editor supplied with vbulletin.
    Last edited by Sykotix; 08-11-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    Internet explorer who?

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

2013 Internet Explorer Firefox Chrome Safari Opera
    July 11.8 % 28.9 % 52.8 % 3.6 % 1.6 %

its not like we dont have the money, but buying a new service seems kind of wasteful to me and I certainly am not looking forward to going through development yet again. Besides how can we possibly top this awesome design lol.

Third largest market share on the internet is still alot of people.

Ya, it does seem wasteful. vbulletin.org/com it is then. I'm sure we're not the only ones stuck back on v4 having this issue. Tons of sites run v4.

Blog Entries
    Ask nintendo how 3rd place feels

I would but they're too busy getting it up the bum by Sony and Microsoft.

Unrepentant's Andy Griffith Mutiny's Avatar
    Internet Explorer is still the leader in some things. For instance, it's the number one browser for downloading a better browser.

I am the Waffleman. Goo goo gajoob. Dao Jones's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if Chrome's supremacy is due to the number of Android phones?

I think it's definitely the Android phones and tablets. But Chrome is slightly more popular than Firefox as a whole if I remember correctly. I use Chrome at work because Firefox runs all my tabs I need for work, but at home I run Firefox.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast