SWTOR Guild Leader
I've noticed some people are having trouble with posting images into threads, so I decided to give a quick tutorial on how to do it. What most of us are doing is rehosting the image on a third party site and then linking to the rehosted image. I use Imgur, but you can use any picture/webhost that you want to. One thing to keep in mind, if you don't pay for the right to use it (Imgur is free), it's not guaranteed to stay around. What I mean by that is don't upload your wedding pictures to a free service and delete the originals. Just use these services as a way to share pics on websites.
1. Sign up for a service, free or otherwise. As stated above, I use the free service Imgur.com. My examples will be from Imgur.
2. When you find a picture you want to share, upload it to the service. One of the things that drew me to Imgur is that it has a Firefox extension (link) that makes for quick uploads. I right-click a picture ->Imgur->Quick Upload and I'm done. There are other extensions for other services like image shack, etc.
3. Now time to share it. These forums have a simple code. Inside the post editor text box, you use IMG and /IMG inside brackets to frame the direct link to the jpg. If you push the img button above, it automatically wraps your text in these tags.
When you upload these images, it should show you different types of links including one that is just a direct link. Now finish your text editing and post your comment. Done!
Here is a cheatsheet if you are using imgur that makes sharing pics super quick.
1. Get the Firefox extension.
2. Right click and do the quick upload of the image.
3. When it is uploaded and the Imgur page appears, push the icon next to the BBCode. This auto copies the link to your clipboard and includes the IMG /IMG tags already around it.
4. Paste into your post.
1. Don't hotlink! Hotlink is when you use the image link directly from the original artists site. First, this costs them bandwith with no chance at ad revenue. Second, if they catch on to it, the could always change their original image to something that would violate the terms of our forums and you would be responsible. So always rehost the image on a third party website.
2. If you want to be able to reuse an image, make sure you save the image to your personal album. The images I used in this post were uploaded anonymously, so I will virtually never be able to find the imgur maintenance page again for them. It's like tossing a bottle into a sea (of images). It's out there but you will probably never see it again.
3. Figure out the Terms of Service for whatever service you use. Those cos-play boobs may be against the rules wherever you are rehosting them.
For forums i've used Imageshack and photobucket. For photobucket there is a link you can copy for posting to forums. Imageshack, tbh i haven't used in about 8 maybe 9 years? I dont' remember and have to look through my files to find my username and password for that site heh I know i have screenshots of SWG maybe some wow lol
I have'nt tried imgur, i might check it out heh
SWTOR Republic Da Harb - Probelmz Astig - Scoundrel
NA server Todaw and TeamProblemz, currently Unranked League of Legends
This would make a good sticky or link in the FAQ.
Thank you Harp!
Harplager: not only does he have a large, rockin' penis, he also writes good instructional posts. It's a very symmetrical penis, almost perfect, as if sculpted out of fleshy marble by as a master dong sculptor. A hell of a wand.
Super useful! Thanks!! I think you should add a spoiler tutorial to this as well as it is really useful for posting images sometimes too.
Remember, you can't spell "slaughter" without "laughter". - IronZerg
Unrepentant's Andy Griffith
Are there people who don't know how to spoiler? You highlight the stuff you want to hide and click the spoiler button. It's this one.
Official Coiner of Terms
My process has been:
1. Cut a hole in a box
2. Put a pic in a box
3. Make you open the box
OP seems much more effective. Thanks, Harp!
Thank you for that. Made my day.
Originally Posted by ObiWanJabroni
Thanks for this post! Def. one of the ones having trouble with this. :P
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO